Wish Modifiers not stored in global blocks

guitarnerdswe

Fractal Fanatic
Hi!

I noticed something. When using global blocks, the modifier info is not stored properly. In fact, it's not stored at all. I assume this is a bug, because otherwise, it would defeat the entire purpose of having global blocks.

Regards
Niklas

Yes, it's by design. That's good, because it allows us to use different modifiers per preset.
To copy and paste modifiers within a global block, use Recall Effect.

yek said:
Yes, it's by design. That's good, because it allows us to use different modifiers per preset.
To copy and paste modifiers within a global block, use Recall Effect.

Well, I can see both sides of this. It would be fairly easy (at least in AxeEdit) to let the user choose whether or not to apply the modifiers. Why would we want to redefine what controls the wah every time?

Well that's weird. I can't see a practical reason for it. If you want to use different modifiers with different presets, then you could just use another global block number? There are 10, enough for all kinds of uses. Program global block 1 to be controlled by one modifier, and global block 2 to be controlled by another. Simple as that.

Most people probably use modifiers for 2 things, controlling speed of say the rotary, and the wah. That means that every time you change the speed of the rotary, you have to copy and paste the block into ALL your presets using the rotary. Depending on how you arrange your presets, that can be 20 or more presets that need editing everytime you edit the rotary, or chorus, or phaser, or tremolo etc. All this defeats the purpose of having the global blocks, which is to only have to edit the block in one preset, and save the time and hassle of copy/pasting it into all other presets.

I would not want to have a global block's modifiers tied to it as a fixed thing, but an option would be nice.

I must be missing something. I stored a few global blocks, and the modifiers seem to be applying consistently where I am using them. E.g. the Wah block I have has the pedal controlling what you'd expect in a wah, and it has the same curve where that block is called up.

So it seems to be doing what I'd expect. ?

I must be missing something. I stored a few global blocks, and the modifiers seem to be applying consistently where I am using them. E.g. the Wah block I have has the pedal controlling what you'd expect in a wah, and it has the same curve where that block is called up.

So it seems to be doing what I'd expect. ?

Ah! I get it. Although what modifier is assigned to what controller does travel with the global block:
- If I change a parameter like "Balance" on a global block in one preset, that change affects all other instances of that global block. But...
- If I change something like the slope on a wah or volume pedal block, that change does NOT translate across all instances, but only affects that one preset.

Yeah, that doesn't feel like a feature to me. It feels like it inhibits my ability to do what I set out to do with a global block in the first place. If I didn't want parameters to apply across presets, I wouldn't use one of the global blocks.

+1 on the wish for this, or at least to have it as a checkbox option on saving the global block.

Semantics...

Niklas,

I'm pretty sure there's a difference between a "Bug" and what you perceive to be a "Design Flaw."

That said, I think it's cool to have a wish-list/poll...I just don't think this qualifies as a Bug.

My 2 pennies...

Bill

I can see the pro's and con's of both sides....
maybe it'd be cool if storing the modifers with the global block was optional

note though that the modifers themselves [the curves / LFO rates / etc] are set and stored within a preset..

a while back I did think that it'd be good to be able to save the globals with the modifier settings
but now I think I'm beginnnig to realise why the way things work right now is in most circumstances best..

Axe fx 2 glabal block menu, option:include/exclude modifier on save
Include/exclude modifiers on recall.

Hoe bout that?

Back
Top Bottom