Bug? Modifiers disappear on channel A when choosing a single channel library file on other channels

InsideOut

Power User
Happy New Years everyone.

I've searched a bunch and can't find any mention of this.
I have a delay block with multiple control switches on several parameter modifiers on channel A. All of them are set to channel A only. When I change to channels B, C, or D and try to load a single channel library file (which according to the dialog when saving, does not save controllers) it erases all the modifiers in channel A. Is this expected behavior?
Thanks in advance :sunglasses:

That sounds like it could be considered a bug.

As you noted, saved channels don't include modifiers so I wouldn't expect loading a saved channel into a channel without modifiers applied would affect the channel where they are applied.

However, modifiers are still shared among all channels - you only have the option to apply the modifiers to a single channel. That may be why this is happening and may not be a bug.

That sounds like it could be considered a bug.

As you noted, saved channels don't include modifiers so I wouldn't expect loading a saved channel into a channel without modifiers applied would affect the channel where they are applied.

However, modifiers are still shared among all channels - you only have the option to apply the modifiers to a single channel. That may be why this is happening and may not be a bug.
I think this is normal behavior for the single channel blocks. I have imported them many times and had them wipe out the modifiers already present and configured.

Would be nice if it could look at the modifiers, and not wipe them out if they don't apply to that channel anyway, though. Additionally, it would be nice if it asked first if you wanted them wiped out or incorporated into the settings for that channel....

I think this is normal behavior for the single channel blocks. I have imported them many times and had them wipe out the modifiers already present and configured.

Would be nice if it could look at the modifiers, and not wipe them out if they don't apply to that channel anyway, though. Additionally, it would be nice if it asked first if you wanted them wiped out or incorporated into the settings for that channel....
Yeah, since a saved channel doesn't include modifiers but a saved block does, it seems like a loaded channel shouldn't affect existing modifiers...

Yeah, since a saved channel doesn't include modifiers but a saved block does, it seems like a loaded channel shouldn't affect existing modifiers...
Global channels, with included modifier per channel, is the way to go. I hope Cliff give it a go in the next generation... :)

Tricky call as I think copy/pasting a channel in AE internally, overwrites defined modifiers. Regardless, I'd like to call it a bug 😀

not so sure about that as I have plenty of saved channels with modifiers. I always thought that there's some sort of bug though. set up a channel with modifiers, hit "save as" channel and on recall the modifiers are gone, BUT, hit "save" again right after "save as" and the modifiers will be there after you load that channel again if that makes any sense. so whenever I want the modifiers saved on a save current channel only basis, I just hit save again straight after...

not so sure about that as I have plenty of saved channels with modifiers. I always thought that there's some sort of bug though. set up a channel with modifiers, hit "save as" channel and on recall the modifiers are gone, BUT, hit "save" again right after "save as" and the modifiers will be there after you load that channel again if that makes any sense. so whenever I want the modifiers saved on a save current channel only basis, I just hit save again straight after...
This is a good solution if you want to save a channel with modifiers. However, it's not useful when you want to save a channel without modifiers, and recall it on ex: channel B and retain your modifiers on channel A.

Now that sounds like a bug since saved channels should not include modifiers, only saved blocks.

I'll have a play some around with this later and see but @Michael Pickens may want to check it out.

Back
Top Bottom