Modern/Pop Sound design tutorials

baptizt

Hi Guys, I’m absolutely noob in preset creation . All I found on YouTube is just metal sound tutorials. Can you please help me with this?

I now difference between types of guitars, I know something about pedals, but I know nothing about amp and cabs.

Might be a good idea to either post some sample video links or even check out some rig rundowns on the artists you like to see what gear they use.

Have you gone thru the multiple videos in the link Smittfar put up? They are not all metal by any means. I don't play metal and I found the videos to be very helpful...........

Have you gone thru the multiple videos in the link Smittfar put up? They are not all metal by any means. I don't play metal and I found the videos to be very helpful...........
Maybe post the link here, since it's not listed in the thread?

Pop music generally has pretty unforgettable and generic guitar tones. Some talented players mind you, but the track generally isn’t showing off the guitar or the tone.

As such, there are a ton of stock presets that would work great for lots of pop songs. Basically any fender model, the Vox variants, for a little harder stuff any of the plexi models...

That stuff is bread and butter and used on countless stages every night, becasue it works.

What issues are you trying to address that the stock presets don’t provide ?

You don’t always have to do a lot of tweaking. I like to think I know my way around the Axe, but When I want a clean tone, I often just go to the stock bandmaster or deluxe reverb and it’s spot on perfect, as is.

Want a little harder tone for a chorus? Try the jcm800 or BE, pure rock n roll, no muss no fuss.

I totally disagree. You needn't look far in pop music through the ages to find some great guitar parts and guitar tones.

I didn’t say they are bad tones, the overall level of production and musicianship is typically top notch. Typically bigger budgets overall etc.

It’s just that the tones, IMO, aren’t at the forefront, they sit in the mix well, and do just what they were meant to do, support the singer.

I mean, does any specific guitar tones come to mind from a Britney Spears album ? Bruno Mars ? Justin Beiber ? Justin Timberlake ? Etc....

Again, spot on production, some of the best session musicians in the business, but I for one can’t think of any specific guitar tone from any Justin Timberlake song that made me think “that’s a sweet tone”

Now maybe I have some bias based upon music I personally play, but there are many other genres where I do think that. Who didn’t listen to Anarachy in the UK and not think Steve Jones guitar just sounded massive ? Gilmour, SRV, Slash, Brian May, etc etc, guitar rock, where the guitars where front and center, as were the guitarist.

I couldn’t even tell you who plays guitar for Justin Beiber. Doesn’t mean they aren’t great players, but a lot of pop music is solo artist, not a band, your not supposed to know who the other people on stage are, your just supposed to know the pop star.

So in summary, I stand by my original point, that if you need to play on a pop album, you could probably do pretty well with most any Fender, or Vox etc sound in an Axe preset

I didn’t say they are bad tones, the overall level of production and musicianship is typically top notch. Typically bigger budgets overall etc.

It’s just that the tones, IMO, aren’t at the forefront, they sit in the mix well, and do just what they were meant to do, support the singer.

I mean, does any specific guitar tones come to mind from a Britney Spears album ? Bruno Mars ? Justin Beiber ? Justin Timberlake ? Etc....

Again, spot on production, some of the best session musicians in the business, but I for one can’t think of any specific guitar tone from any Justin Timberlake song that made me think “that’s a sweet tone”

Now maybe I have some bias based upon music I personally play, but there are many other genres where I do think that. Who didn’t listen to Anarachy in the UK and not think Steve Jones guitar just sounded massive ? Gilmour, SRV, Slash, Brian May, etc etc, guitar rock, where the guitars where front and center, as were the guitarist.

I couldn’t even tell you who plays guitar for Justin Beiber. Doesn’t mean they aren’t great players, but a lot of pop music is solo artist, not a band, your not supposed to know who the other people on stage are, your just supposed to know the pop star.

So in summary, I stand by my original point, that if you need to play on a pop album, you could probably do pretty well with most any Fender, or Vox etc sound in an Axe preset
You're pretty spot on and exact in fact!

Yet, some stuff aka...Nile Rodgers, EWF, Commodores ...Slave, Starship, Wild Cherry, Skank and Isley Brothers...etc....gave me headaches matching the tones back in those days!

Thanks guys for advices , I want to create something like this

Solo from 1.32

Also I like this clean intro guitar sound, maybe I do something wrong but I can’t get this brightness. My guitar is telecaster

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom