Modern Hard Rock Amps

• Thread starter Deleted member 79338
  • Start date
FAS Hot rod- you dont wanna miss it its lovely if you like marshalls

FAS Brootalz- a little high gain but its like front end of slo100, back end of engl savage, however can be tweaked for hard rock and stuff

Atomica as some suggested.

FAS Modern 2- suitable for metal /rock both

You can even mess around the blue channel of 5153 or yellow channel jp 2c+

Lots of options i personally prefer the archon for everything metal/ rock but i tweak it greatly , some how i like this more than anything else.

FAS Hot rod- you dont wanna miss it its lovely if you like marshalls

FAS Brootalz- a little high gain but its like front end of slo100, back end of engl savage, however can be tweaked for hard rock and stuff

Atomica as some suggested.

FAS Modern 2- suitable for metal /rock both

You can even mess around the blue channel of 5153 or yellow channel jp 2c+

Lots of options i personally prefer the archon for everything metal/ rock but i tweak it greatly , some how i like this more than anything else.
The FAS Hot Rod sounds interesting along with the Modern 2.

The Archon I really wanted to like, the demos I hear it sounds great, but I just can't tweak it to do what I want. I may have to revisit that amp too.

The FAS Hot Rod sounds interesting along with the Modern 2.

The Archon I really wanted to like, the demos I hear it sounds great, but I just can't tweak it to do what I want. I may have to revisit that amp too.

HOT ROD is a very nice modded marshall.

for Archon, it has some low end, so you can cut off the low end with a pre amp cut incrase little brightness using higher pf value,, move the tonestack centrefreuency lower than the stock 550hz, wherever your sweet spot is, and use it with a bright clear ir. It should do any hardrock tone then, and maybe try the usa 4x12 imp curve, instead of stock friedman one.

Focusing on the mids and 2000-4000 range is crucial for archon because it sounds too damn smooth stock.

Blending isn't an issue as I am using the Axe 3, unless I open up FullRes IR's, then it can sometimes cry.

Agreed on the Marshall with the Rev.... Man that's one fat sound.

Also you may have hit the nail on the head with the Friedman amps. There is something about Marshalls that are aggressive but not in an overdrive way just the bite of an American Pitbull.

Corncob is another semi-Marshall style amp worth looking into.

HOT ROD is a very nice modded marshall.

for Archon, it has some low end, so you can cut off the low end with a pre amp cut incrase little brightness using higher pf value,, move the tonestack centrefreuency lower than the stock 550hz, wherever your sweet spot is, and use it with a bright clear ir. It should do any hardrock tone then, and maybe try the usa 4x12 imp curve, instead of stock friedman one.

Focusing on the mids and 2000-4000 range is crucial for archon because it sounds too damn smooth stock.
I need to revisit both the Archon as well as the Hot Rod.

Don't know if folks think it's "high gain" or modern, but I've been having big fun doing FAS Lead 2 with a drive in front. Odd for me, I'm often more EOB, or at least less gain than that, but it's So Cool.

Last edited:
I'm the guitarist and singer in my band. Mostly 70's 80's rock...more pop than metal.

Lately it's the Mesa TC and USA Clean.
But I swap for a Friedman and others for a change up. I get to the same place no matter the amp usually.

Give the Cornford MK50 a try. It
Corncob is another semi-Marshall style amp worth looking into.
+1
The Cornford MK50 is a wonderfully versatile amp that does everything well, from characterful cleans to face-melting high gain. It also has a really enjoyable dynamic response. There are a lot of great amps in the Fractalverse, but I always find myself coming back to this model. I like pairing it with the York Audio Mesa cab, but it plays nicely with most 4x12 cabs.

All

Thank you for all the suggestions, some I had forgotten about and some I have not even considered so the thread, for me anyway, was well worth creating. I will spend today/tomorrow creating patches with all the recommended amps.

Got to love the Axe. I cant wait to start getting a few tracks on the go.

Mike

I'm partial to the "5153 100W Blue" for 'modern rock tones' for humbucker equipped guitars, and feel they are a better amp overall vs most Marshalls. They have a bit of a 'grainy' high end which is a bit objectionable with single coils I find though.

For fat, rich, high-er gain tones, the "5153 50W Blue" is great right out of the gate, with plenty of gain on tap that holds together well; you can get over-the-top levels of gain and the amp doesn't completely fall apart...

Back
Top Bottom