Modern Guitars, Then and Now.

Increase the mass of the bridge and you increase the sustain BUT you reduce the interactivity with the body . I don't think you will get many people putting on heavy high mass tailpieces on vintage les Pauls to improve the tone. The 1996 is a far better balance of tone and sustain and doesn't just sound like a block of brass. Also the performance issues and needless added weight. And yes I've fitted it. It is a one step sideways two steps back design .
I agree @Andy Eagle . The gotoh 1996T is one of the best licensed Floyd's you can buy. I still prefer the gotoh Ibanez trems. Original edge, edge pro, and lo pro edge but as far as an off the shelf replacement it's hands down the 1996

They did see the Jazzmaster as the new top of the range guitar at the time and Leo didn't play guitar he just took advice from players and colleges . It would not surprise me if this was not at least part of the thinking. The pickup design was all about a different tone that would be closer to a P90 than previous Fender pickups (it's not really though ) because of the wide thin coil.

Back
Top Bottom