Modellers - Best FRFR System

I currently have a Fender Prosonic combo its a pretty decent bit of kit, amazing roar on chords but a little fizzy on lead.

I've heard tones of people using modellers like the AXE, Kemper or Line 6 and they sound amazing. I currently own one!

I've decided to go for an FRFR speaker, I have a budget of about £1000 and from my research I've narrowed down a few.

1. QSC K12.2
2. Yamaha DXR12 MkII 1100W Powered 1x12" (some guy had and sold his)
4. JBL SRX812P Active 2-Way Loudspeaker 12" (THIS ONE STANDS OUT FOR ME)
5. RCF RCF NX 12-SMA (some guy had and sold his)
6. Red Sound ELIS 8 (these seem popular also, its been recommended to get 2 of these)
Also some guy on this forum has JBL EON 612 which he says are great because they are very flat thus better for modellers. This reinforced my idea about the JBL SRX812

-UPDATE- ATOMIC CLR NEO MK II (heard loads of love for these)

I will be using them for home use (of which I can play at a substantial volume), band practice and gigging. Weight is not an issue, I'm just interested in the best FRFR I can get my hands on, it has to be a powered one because I can't be arsed to buy any amplification.

Please make suggestions and maybe tell me what kind of specs I should be looking for!

I play lots of different styles from Andy Timmons, Milan Polak, Disturbed, Dream Theatre, Opeth, Megadeth, Trivium, blues, jazz and funk. I don't think this matters though its all about dialing in the right gear in your patches.

Also should I look for a stereo option or will mono be fine!

Thank you all

Last edited:
There’s no best - try your top 3 and keep the one you like the best.
Would you advise I buy 1 speaker or 2?
I had Matrix Q10A and now RS Elis (and Red Sound Studio 6 in my Studio).
Red Sound sounds great!
Yeah I'm lookin into ELIS 8 they seem popular also! and pretty decent!

Maybe you guys could look at the specs of some of those speakers and rule some out or vote some up! I'm really new to this at the moment! I'm sure there's more than 1 option as many FRFRs will be able to do what I want I just want to learn as much as possible!

Thanks

-UPDATE- So ok at the moment I've narrowed down my list a little more

1. ATOMIC CLR NEO MK II (heard loads of love for these)
2. JBL EON 612 (which leads me to believe the JBL SRX812P are absolute BEASTS!
3. Red Sound (known as G66) ELIS 8 OR MF10 (some reviewer said 100% the CLR as a wedge monitor over the MF10s for gigging but to play in his house he reckons the dual MF10s are the way to go! He says the MF10s have more of a cab feel to them) Frekin confusing or what!

Last edited:
Would you advise I buy 1 speaker or 2?

Yeah I'm lookin into ELIS 8 they seem popular also! and pretty decent!

Maybe you guys could look at the specs of some of those speakers and rule some out or vote some up! I'm really new to this at the moment! I'm sure there's more than 1 option as many FRFRs will be able to do what I want I just want to learn as much as possible!

Thanks

-UPDATE- So ok at the moment I've narrowed down my list a little more

1. ATOMIC CLR NEO MK II (heard loads of love for these)
2. JBL EON 612 (which leads me to believe the JBL SRX812P are absolute BEASTS!
3. Red Sound ELIS 8 - (Though these are great I think the ATOMICs are better potentially)
Don’t go just for specs it’s absolutely necessary that you try out every speaker.
The CLR are great but personally I prefer the RedSound MF10 over them.
It really depends on what you want.
The CLR are more neutral sounding and the RedSound do have more of that Amp in the room feel.
But everything is personal preference.

I've had the Atomic CLR NEO MKII and the Xitone 12" active wedge. I sold the Atomic. I kept the Xitone.

I'm happy with the EV PXM-112MP pair I have.
This. I had the CLR, and I'm not unhappy I replaced it with these. Excellent speakers.

I also had the 12" RCF you mentioned for a bit: they felt a little boomy in the low mids to me, but were also good. Not better than the EV's, IMO.

Hey guys more updates! Yamaha DXR10 are apparently a favourite in the Kemper community and they sound great!

I youtube a few videos and the Yamaha DXR10 really stands out above the Atomic CLR and the Friedman ASM-12

I've also had some recommendations for the JBL EON and I want to look at one that spoke to my intuitive heart the JBL SRX812P.

What do y'all think of QSC K12.2...I'm doing my homework on them now, from what I've seen so far they are DEFINATELY a match for the fabled Yamaha DXRs

To be continued...

Last edited:
Hey guys more updates! Yamaha DXR10 are apparently a favourite in the Kemper community and they sound great!

I youtube a few videos and the Yamaha DXR10 really stands out above the Atomic CLR and the Friedman ASM-12

I've also had some recommendations for the JBL EON and I want to look at one that spoke to my intuitive heart the JBL SRX812P.

To be continued...

Were the people in the videos trying to sell the dx10 over the clr and asm?

You have a decent budget. Buy one, see how it does. Take notes. Return/sell and try another one. Compare notes. Try the 3rd. Keep the winner.

Were the people in the videos trying to sell the dx10 over the clr and asm?

You have a decent budget. Buy one, see how it does. Take notes. Return/sell and try another one. Compare notes. Try the 3rd. Keep the winner.

Then sell the winner down the road at some point and start all over again. :)

What do y'all think of QSC K12.2...I'm doing my homework on them now, from what I've seen so far they are DEFINATELY a match for the fabled Yamaha DXRs

To be continued...
I have four of the DXR10s that I use as stage monitors in my PA. They are small but mighty, and a great monitor. That said, I prefer the EV PXM-12MP to use with the AxeFX as a monitor or backline. I think the coaxial design is just better integrated, particularly at close range. But the tweakable onboard DSP and memory slots are also super handy compared to the few presets that the Yamaha offers.

To be continued...
You can't judge FRFR by watching a video...

Everything you hear in such a video is colored by whatever you're hearing that audio with ;)

I've heard a lot of people say they like the CLR, but availability, serviceability, and customer service in general have become quite problematic. Do a search here...

Lots of good reports on the EV PXM-112MP. If I were in the market now, that's what I'd try first. I think they're even available.

/$0.0002.

Last edited:
I prefer the EV PXM-12MP to use with the AxeFX as a monitor or backline.
I picked up a pair and that was part of the consideration, because their cabinets have enough angles that they can project at 90° if I want them shooting straight forward and could be stacked vertically in a kind of 2x1x12 configuration, or side-by-side at about 60° or sitting flat when they’re about 30° which is good for shooting toward my head like a regular monitor or behind me if the stage isn’t very deep. I added some additional screw-in feet for the cabinets for the two additional angles just to help protect their finish, and got some 90° XLR adapters to make it easy to stack them without damaging the cable connectors..

They’re plenty loud running at half volume on the FM9 and the volume settings for the cabinets, with nice highs and lows. I don’t care if they’re the most accurate or flattest, I just wanted a nice musical tone from them and they deliver that. If I ever want to adjust the curve I can do that using their built-in EQ compensation or the EQ on the modeler.

Back
Top Bottom