Modeler Stress Test

I was hoping you guys would release a new firmware around the same time as the III. I mostly expected additional models, but an overhaul to the overall modeling is much better. I'm still pining for new models, but I can't wait to learn the details of Ares and how you handle firmware updates and new additions across the II and III. Nice trojan horse tactic, I am super hyped now.

Also, the comparison was cool. On my monitors the real amp was still a bit more clear somehow, but it was very subtle. Would you mind letting us know if the amp and modelers were shot through the same IR's or were things different on that end?

This last bit is just constructive criticism and I am not sure exactly what the competing modeler was. But I've had really good results with the helix, not as good as with Fractal in most cases, and it may just be the extreme settings stressing it out to the point of me not being able to recognize it as you say, but the only truly competing modeler would be the Helix

Right, not the purpose at all. One of the hardest things to model is output transformer saturation which is why I chose a Deluxe Reverb and dimed the bass. Fender Amps have very undersized transformers that saturate easily (which is part of their sound). Cranking the bass further stresses the OT.

Normally I would turn the bass way down, maybe even to zero, when using that much gain.

Would it be correct to say that the more accurate a model sounds at the extreme, it will sound that much more accurate at more moderate settings? Perhaps there's no correlation at all.

Not sure (I don't really like any tone here), so I would be wrong, but I would say:

#1: Axe-FX III (still good one)
#2: Real Amp (my favorite one)
#3: Competitor (the worse one)

And the answer is:
Amp
III
Other

Well, then I prefer the Axe-FX III (which is a good thing for you I guess, right?).
It does confirm that I'll be glad to get the Axe-FX III since my ears say so.

Thanks!

#3 is the competitor. #1&2 are too similar. I've compared 2 of the same amps that have had more variations than #1&2, especially if one of the amps was powered on and warmed up longer than the other.

I listened again through headphones and I think #1 is the real amp and #2 is the III because there sounds like there's a high pitched USB ground loop noise in #2.

Well... I was right... and I simply don't have the time to visit forums every day
You did notice the winky face, right?

I always read to the end of these type of threads in case the answer was already posted.

Of course, you did get it right... But we have no evidence you didn't skip ahead. ;)

(Sarcasm - note, another winky face)

EDIT: I just noticed several others followed you, so at least you've got company :D

Interestingly to me, the 3 seemed to handle the low notes as well if not better in terms of clarity. By clarity I mean I can hear the amp breaking up but the fundamental tone is still there more so than the real thing. The main difference I heard between the real amp and the 3 was more ghost notes on the real amp low notes. Oddly to me, the only part that sounded better on the real amp was the sustained chord at the end, which was presumably a first position chord with higher notes than the rest of the riff. Maybe it's coincidental but as with with my JCM 800's, turning the bass up high seems to smooth out the top end, not sure why...

Can we talk about the fact that most people where still able to identify the real amp in a blind test? :hushed:

Can we talk about the fact that most people where still able to identify the real amp in a blind test? :hushed:

By my rough count, 14 people picked the real amp and 19 people did not. They were either undecided or picked incorrectly.

I was only able to do that because of background noise and reverb.
If it wasn't for that, It would be all down to luck. I'd have no clue. They may not be completely the same, but the difference is minuscule and neither one sounds better or more real than the other.

Back
Top Bottom