Modeler Stress Test

Would've been nice to get an Axe FX 2 in there too, to see how much different Ares is to Quantum.
Ares is NOT comming to Axe 2.
Yea, still waiting for some comparisons between same amp model from II and III and for sure with same riff and same cab IR, single track, also 2 or 4 guit tracks in a mix :D

Stay Metal!

Would've been nice to get an Axe FX 2 in there too, to see how much different Ares is to Quantum.
Ares is NOT comming to Axe 2.
Where did you get the info that Ares isn't coming to the 2? If going to Ares is based on those few calculations that Cliff couldn't run to completion on the 2, then that would make sense, but I haven't seen that posted anywhere.

I expect the II and the III are going to sound EXTREMELY close under normal playing conditions , and different - under EXTREME amp settings.
If I were a betting man , I would guess the difference between the II and III would be the equivalent to sample 1 and 2 , and would take some pretty critical listening , to be able to distinguish - Quantum and Ares.
The routing , switching , organizing , navigating , programming , display and editing is where users are going to see the biggest change.
The extra horsepower is going to allow the III to grow with on-going subtle changes , which will refine the amps Sims , cabs and effects to perfection.
It's hard for me to grasp the the notion that these things can be improved upon , but I guess it's a matter of more "fractals"
...just my humble opinions.

Last edited:
#1 What ever Amp...
#2 Axe III (Please ship to me ASAP!) "I'm waiting Honey"
#3 what ever amp #3
Note I'm using cheap $20.00 Amazon desktop speakers and can hear it right away without reading all of the posts...

Is it wrong that I kind of like this tone?

Only in the sense that it's not very on purpose. Sure, turning everything up to 10 gets unique results, but that's clearly not the intention of most amp designers or users.

That being said, simple mods tike a different value component in the input stage can yield dramatic results given the amp architecture and gain staging, meaning placement of the EQ controls within the gain structure and how the input signal is filtered...

I did guess correctly but was going on the basis that the first example (the amp) sounded fuller.

The second take (Axe 3) sounded a bit hollow and sample 3 wasn't enjoyable.

I don't know what to think about this tbh. I guess it shows there's still some way to go to perfection?

1 and 2 sounded nearly identical to my ears, 1 does seem to have a bit more top end sparkle on that last chord, but the real difference in the tones that I hear is the III (2nd take) has a lower noise floor, far from a bad thing (and it only gets better from here).

Without seeing the reveal and listening to the clips I'd suspect:

1-real amp
2-AFX
3-other modeller

Clips 1 and 2 sound similar in the way the amp is 'destructing' and getting pushed to it's limits; you can hear it completely bottom out with the harsh overtones and compression as it struggles to keep up. The third clip, while producing some of the same artifacts, sounds very flat and less 'alive'.

I expect the II and the III are going to sound EXTREMELY close under normal playing conditions , and different - under EXTREME amp settings.
If I were a betting man , I would guess the difference between the II and III would be the equivalent to sample 1 and 2 , and would take some pretty critical listening , to be able to distinguish - Quantum and Ares.
The routing , switching , organizing , navigating , programming , display and editing is where users are going to see the biggest change.
The extra horsepower is going to allow the III to grow with on-going subtle changes , which will refine the amps Sims , cabs and effects to perfection.
It's hard for me to grasp the the notion that these things can be improved upon , but I guess it's a matter of more "fractals"
...just my humble opinions.

I've changed my mind. I think this was :
Amp
III
II

I believe the words "other product" were used....... Not competitor.

Last edited:
1 Real Amp (The low end sounds thick and smooth, the high end sizzle sounds great, especially with that ending open chord)
2 AFX3 (Sounded very similar but it felt as if it didn't have the same input/gain and it missed a bit on the sizzle)
3 Other Modeller (Very thin with much less of everything that sounded great with the first clip)

Don't forget the introduction :

"Amps do crazy things when their virtual power amps and power supplies are pushed to extremes."

....that's why I think it's probable that the first two were amp and III , while the 3rd sample could have been the - II.
Of course , so many guys have said how horrible the 3rd one performed ( despite the intro ) , it's unlikely that we will ever TRULY know. Just my opinion.

Don't forget the introduction :

"Amps do crazy things when their virtual power amps and power supplies are pushed to extremes."

....that's why I think it's probable that the first two were amp and III , while the 3rd sample could have been the - II.
Of course , so many guys have said how horrible the 3rd one performed ( despite the intro ) , it's unlikely that we will ever TRULY know. Just my opinion.

The answer was revealed already... Quite a while ago. :)

Back
Top Bottom