Modeler Stress Test

interesting that the Amp is the first one, I thought the end chord was much smoother than it was on the 2nd amp, which is why I assumed the Axe3 was either 1 and 3

The only thing I said was that the 2nd one, I guess the right term would be, "saturated" quicker, when I listened on an iPhone. That wasn't really a guess. That could have been happening for any number of reasons. I never actually got around to playing it on a system that would have made me feel comfortable making a guess. I still haven't. Personally, I'd rather be told how wrong I was in an in-studio, live-playing, double-blind test, where I am the one actually doing the playing on the guitar.

interesting that the Amp is the first one, I thought the end chord was much smoother than it was on the 2nd amp, which is why I assumed the Axe3 was either 1 and 3
That's exactly the difference I notice the most between the amp and the axe.

In most comparisons I've heard and also when I try to match a preset to a recorded tone, I notice that modelers in general tend to exhibit more "phasiness" in the sound compared to a real amp. I don't know if this is a lack in the simulation or if it's just an effect of the volume at which they're recorded.
I say this because this phasiness is more noticeable when playing at low levels, when I play loud the sound is much smoother, so probably just another effect of feedback.

I'd be curious to hear about this from someone in the know. Cliff?

the second one sounds like it's breaking more, i bet it's the real amp, real amps actually melt on 10 unless they were designed for it. most amps are designed to max out in the first half turn or less, after that they just fall apart.

Hi,
2 first samples are louder than last one :) and Louder = better :p
3samples.jpg

Here all 3 with same volume:

After All Yes 1 - best 2 - not bad 3 - sucks (After 4 years with Kemper, more than 80 Amps profiled i know that sound - If Im wrong well then i'm totally noob :D)

Stay Metal!

They are normalized, so if one of these is quieter it means the modeler doesn’t compress properly.
Yes its true, but for more "fair" comparison better to listen all samples on same volume level. Anyway i want to say this again 1 guitar track is not a comparison for me :) its a "simple" way to proof that something is "better" than other. Tha's why I use in my own comparisons always one track 4 guitar tracks and full context to showing a diff between sources. Some tracks can sound "better" alone but at the same time they dont fit in a mix, some react better to eq limiters some not. You can check few my comparisons between real amps FX II and Kemper on my website. All with same cab part! becouse its a key when we want compare diff "amps" For example Mesa DR Rev.F 1992 http://www.sinmix.pl/2018/02/09/mesa-dr-rev-f-1992-axe-fx-ii-xl-preset-kemper-profile/

Stay Metal!

Yes its true, but for more "fair" comparison better to listen all samples on same volume level. Anyway i want to say this again 1 guitar track is not a comparison for me :) its a "simple" way to proof that something is "better" than other. Tha's why I use in my own comparisons always one track 4 guitar tracks and full context to showing a diff between sources. Some tracks can sound "better" alone but at the same time they dont fit in a mix, some react better to eq limiters some not. You can check few my comparisons between real amps FX II and Kemper on my website. All with same cab part! becouse its a key when we want compare diff "amps" For example Mesa DR Rev.F 1992 http://www.sinmix.pl/2018/02/09/mesa-dr-rev-f-1992-axe-fx-ii-xl-preset-kemper-profile/

Stay Metal!
If normalization is full scale peak to peak, then there is no way to get the third clip "louder" without inducing digital clipping or introduction of post unit track compression.

One could reduce the scale of the waveforms of the first two clips to match the perceived relative volume of the third clip, but then it would reduce the perceived dynamic range and noise floor of the first two clips.

Personally, since the third clip is not even in the same ballpark from a compression or tonal standpoint, I am sure that would not have helped make the choice more difficult.

I would pay good money to know what the ‘other’ was. I think it’s fair to say as this was a fair comparison and the results speak for themselves.

There is more question IMO.
1. Guitars were recorded or reamped from same source (DI track) ?
2. Kemper can works as a reampbox in profiling mode (fuc... expensive reampbox but works ).
3. If tracks are reamped even via spdif kemper can match volume level so trust me recorded - reamped tracks from real amp and kemper profile are on same volume level.
4. Why tracks are normalized?
5. How looks signal chain?
6. For Axe what IR was used? How made with Axe? Ultrares or standard. With external software?
etc...

Stay Metal!

There is more question IMO.
1. Guitars were recorded or reamped from same source (DI track) ?
2. Kemper can works as a reampbox in profiling mode (fuc... expensive reampbox but works ).
3. If tracks are reamped even via spdif kemper can match volume level so trust me recorded - reamped tracks from real amp and kemper profile are on same volume level.
4. Why tracks are normalized?
5. How looks signal chain?
6. For Axe what IR was used? How made with Axe? Ultrares or standard. With external software?
etc...

Stay Metal!
I think you're supposing that it's Axe-Fx III compared to a Kemper... I wouldn't be so sure, Cliff said:
Amps do crazy things when their virtual power amps and power supplies are pushed to extremes.
The equivalent model was chosen on the III and the other product and the respective controls also set to 10.
which doesn't make too much sense for Kemper IMHO.

I think you're supposing that it's Axe-Fx III compared to a Kemper... I wouldn't be so sure, Cliff said:
which doesn't make too much sense for Kemper IMHO.
Nope, not the point, just want to say if the last one is Kemper then its impossible to get after recording that 2 diff volume levels. Becouse again Kemper match volume level in profiling stage, that's why You can compare real signal and kemper profile very quickly just by switching between 2 knobs in kemper. ANd yes I'm not 100% sure that the last one is Kemper but 95% :)

If normalization is full scale peak to peak, then there is no way to get the third clip "louder" without inducing digital clipping or introduction of post unit track compression.

So lets just record all 3 samples with same volume level without normalizing. Its like comparing 2 mics both recorded with diff volume level, even after all normalized second one it will always be quieter. And again i want to say: 1 - very good, 2 - almost the same, 3 even after volume match dont sounds good.

Stay Metal!

Back
Top Bottom