Implemented Modeled control highlights

scarr

Experienced
Problem: On the Amp and Drive blocks, we have a standard set of controls, but they don't always match what the original gear has. Trying to remember which knobs represent the actual gear (e.g. "how many knobs did Fender put on this particular model?", "is this a master volume Marshall?", or "does this OD use Tone or the BMT?") without a computer can be tricky.

Solution: Simply highlight the modeled controls with a different color.

Here's a rough mockup:
AFxIII control suggestions.png
Top row: normal control (white) and active Value knob control (cyan -- should have a blue middle)
Bottom row: modeled variations add yellow to each, shifting white->yellow and cyan->green
ALTERNATIVE: Just do the yellow and leave the blue middle as the identifier for the Value knob.​

A word added to the definitions of each Amp model (maybe just a byte for Drive) model would allow for all the bit flags you'd need to identify which controls are in play, so it's low impact to the size of the firmware. The UI would just need to read those fields when drawing the handful of screens where it'd apply.

Since many recommend starting with the basic, original controls to dial in tone quickly, I think this enhancement will make that process much easier for most users, without getting in the way of those with encyclopedic amp knowledge.

This has been asked for before and kind of goes hand in hand with default value indicators, or at least ability to reset a single parameter to default for the specific model. Would be cool stuff, even if it was only implemented in axe edit

I've thought of it before, but there wasn't a great mechanism before the III's color screen. Now it's pretty simple to implement clearly and unobtrusively.

I'm not dead yet. But I am so old my signature points to our original wiki. o_O

Brilliant idea! Would love to have this just for the sake of authenticity.

@FractalAudio if it helps, you can use the AxeLive app to instantly see the real amp controls when changing the amp model (Axe FX II only).

I did not think i would say this.. but. I love the way the Helix does this. Only have/show the real options for the model. I would love to see this on it`s own page in the III,then go to advanced/pro page to get other options.
just my 2 cents :)

Now the display is colored, why not a real amp skin for each amp type ? :)

17632246_1861930207393120_8681442672015914300_o.jpg

Great idea! I have often thought it would be a nice feature to have a simple page that just shows only the controls available on the real unit. I know there are pedals and amps I have used (and a lot of pedals I have never used) where it would be helpful to show the controls I am familiar with on the unit. At least as a starting point. All the options on the FX III are great but sometimes I feel like I am adjusting parameters that are turning the effect into something else. I am sure the FX manual explains the parameters but if you are familiar with a pedal it seems like it would be helpful to have a page that shows the controls and labels you are already familiar with. If this particular concept is too difficult for the FX maybe it could be included in Axe-Edit.

Problem: On the Amp and Drive blocks, we have a standard set of controls, but they don't always match what the original gear has. Trying to remember which knobs represent the actual gear (e.g. "how many knobs did Fender put on this particular model?", "is this a master volume Marshall?", or "does this OD use Tone or the BMT?") without a computer can be tricky.

Solution: Simply highlight the modeled controls with a different color.

Here's a rough mockup:
View attachment 45556
Top row: normal control (white) and active Value knob control (cyan -- should have a blue middle)
Bottom row: modeled variations add yellow to each, shifting white->yellow and cyan->green
ALTERNATIVE: Just do the yellow and leave the blue middle as the identifier for the Value knob.​

A word added to the definitions of each Amp model (maybe just a byte for Drive) model would allow for all the bit flags you'd need to identify which controls are in play, so it's low impact to the size of the firmware. The UI would just need to read those fields when drawing the handful of screens where it'd apply.

Since many recommend starting with the basic, original controls to dial in tone quickly, I think this enhancement will make that process much easier for most users, without getting in the way of those with encyclopedic amp knowledge.

I have to be honest I find this pretty
Confusing
I would prefer a basic page In the amp block that only has the controls
The original amps use

I have to be honest I find this pretty
Confusing
I would prefer a basic page In the amp block that only has the controls
The original amps use
This has been something requested since the first Axe-Fx. It’s somewhat not the goal of the Axe, and other opinion has been why limit yourself - no mid knob on the original, but you want less mids, just turn the mid knob that’s there.

You’d be amazed at what the studio and recording process does to these amps without certain typical knobs anyway. All that work buying rare vintage amps and then it goes to the console where it’s EQ’d as needed after all that work of leaving it alone. The Axe models the entire signal chain, so it may as well give the tools needed to make some amps sound like what we expect them to. That can include a Master Volume knob when there was none on the original.

We aren’t tweaking the original amps. We’re adjusting a digital model of it, and it does make sense to have a “standard set” of controls across amp types. I can’t imagine a situation where I’ve adjusted a Mid knob that isn’t on the original and either myself or someone else realizes it one day and thinks the tone is suddenly bad or unauthentic. *shrug*

This has been something requested since the first Axe-Fx. It’s somewhat not the goal of the Axe, and other opinion has been why limit yourself - no mid knob on the original, but you want less mids, just turn the mid knob that’s there.

You’d be amazed at what the studio and recording process does to these amps without certain typical knobs anyway. All that work buying rare vintage amps and then it goes to the console where it’s EQ’d as needed after all that work of leaving it alone. The Axe models the entire signal chain, so it may as well give the tools needed to make some amps sound like what we expect them to. That can include a Master Volume knob when there was none on the original.

We aren’t tweaking the original amps. We’re adjusting a digital model of it, and it does make sense to have a “standard set” of controls across amp types. I can’t imagine a situation where I’ve adjusted a Mid knob that isn’t on the original and either myself or someone else realizes it one day and thinks the tone is suddenly bad or unauthentic. *shrug*

I have no issues with additional controls. I was referring more to the diagram of the treble knob in different colours that the OP was showing
That was the part that was confusing
To me not additional controls
:)

Just have one color or indicator that differentiates the original amp knobs from all other knobs. Same for the effects models. This obviously would only need to be done on the basic page of every amp & effect model. It would be cool to immediately know which controls the original amp/effect was limited to....

You’d be amazed at what the studio and recording process does to these amps without certain typical knobs anyway.

I was amazed with the Blackglass 7k model we got of the Darkglass b7K.. and how weird it was to work out how to tweek the model. This has happend to me a lot of times,trying to tweek and find out the real amp/pedal. I love the Axe Fx (dont get me wrong)
But i would love the have this in the future. A real...page.. and a pro/tweek page :)

All the time we hear folk say.. we have the "real amp/pedal `inside our magic black box`.. it real..!
But it`s just a bit of work to be done,to find out `what is real`.. and what is the FAS option.

And i know.. if it sounds good,well then it is good. I agree. But this is just me hoping that this (can and will) maybe gets done in the future. And if not. Then i can live with that :)

Back
Top Bottom