Modding the EV-1 with a foot switch!

nicolasrivera

Fractal Fanatic
Today is our independence day in Honduras, so we have the day off, and i had the free time to do this mod that i had in my head for a very long time.

I gave the EV-1 pedal enough time to convince me that i would not need a footswitch to engage the whawha but i just can't accustom to the automatic on/off thing, i can't.

So, this is not a difficult mod to do, just make a hole for the switch, add two extra rubber contacts and something to minimize the metal to metal contact between the underneath part of the pedal and to top of the switch and in my setup i just drilled a small hole on the bottom plate to take the cable from the switch to the plug that goes to #3 input of the AX8.

Works just like a normal whawha and now i can have a wha/volume pedal in one unit.

29623538211_f9124dc159_c.jpg

29669274446_90260dddd6_c.jpg

29623540421_baa2391863_c.jpg

29593264062_4971910dfd_c.jpg

29669278056_99d90fa66e_c.jpg

I have thought numerous times about modding my ev1 for a tow switch. I used to mod my Boss FV500 just like that. I don't see where you have the cable coming out from switch though

How did you you add the two rubber feet? Did you use washers to keep the switch lower in the pedal? I did my mod yesterday but switch is pretty high up

Yes. You need washers to keep it as low as it can be.

Rubber feet are just glued together, i do beliebe its better to buy the rubber feets that are use with dunlop whawha pedals.

Amazon product ASIN B005GWKPWU
interesting I would think glue would eat away at the rubber. I noticed there is a screw under the existing rubber stopper. I am going to see if I can find what kind there are then get longer ones to hold in the ones I want to add.

Thx

Talk about coincidence! I actually have my EV-2 apart as I type this.
nice! I looked at mine this morning, and while there's not really space near the "toe", there is a little flat area on the left side on the upper part of the chassis...gonna give that a spin when I have a minute.

UPDATE: I was able to fit a "toe" switch inside my EV-2.

Ideally, I'd have used a spst footswitch, but I had these 3p3t switches on hand, so that's what I went with. A switch with a shorter throw action would be preferable., but the only space for the switch is not actually at the toe of the pedal, but about an inch "south", so it engages sooner than I'm used to on a vox/crybaby/mission SP, with the switch right at the toe.

Still, it feels ok, and you have to push the actuator down almost to the end of the travel to get it to switch, so I'm thinking it won't be a problem IRL. ie, accidental switches seem like they'll be rare, and I get almost all of the pedal travel.

I did have to dremel off the top of the actuator; otherwise it was just too tall. I also had to sand it down to make more of dome, as it was catching on that plate on the bottom of the moving part of the pedal. (You can just see the plate in the first picture.)

I added a panel mount xlr connector to the side of the pedal, as my plan is to run a single cable to my pedalboard for both exp and the switch. Two of the xlr contacts and shield connect to the exp inside the EV-2, parallel to the jack that's already present. The third contact + shield connect to two of the switch terminals. Hopefully the FM9 is ok with a TR connection, switching between T and R, rather than a TRS connection, switching between T and S. If not I'll have to go to a 4 pin XLR, which I'd rather not since they aren't as common as the usual 3 pin version. (I do still need to wire up the pedalboard side of this thing.)

I accidentally drilled the holes too large, and decided later to tap them rather than use nuts on the inside, hence the JB weld globs. (not to mention drilling on the wrong corners of the XLR jack hole, which you can also see in the pic. :rolleyes: ) Not sure if the wall as-is would be thick enough to tap for the M3 screws I used.

Moral of the story though: it fits! woo hoo!

IMG_7435.JPGIMG_7436.JPGIMG_7437.JPG

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom