Modded JMP Preset

Axe-Master
Today I spent some time dialling in a modded 70's JMP head against the AX8 with my friend (and my band's producer) who owns the amp. We're not 100% sure on what the mods are but we suspect it was modded to 2203 specs a while ago and has had several owners here in Perth over the years. The 1959SLP model was a good starting point but the Friedman BE got spookily close with the speaker drive, sag and depth tweaked.

I used an IR from the Ownhammer Marsh-UK collection, but factory cab 103 should get you close. I have included the preset and a video rundown here for everyone to try out; enjoy!

Preset - http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=5091

Last edited:
Nice, I have been on the hunt for a really pissed off modded Marshall JMP. Maybe this could help me get there with my Ultra?

I haven't tried this with an Ultra yet, but the big factors were the fat switch, reducing the depth, bringing the sag up and adding some speaker drive. As a guess you might try to add a PEQ block between the amp and the cab to try imitate the fat switch, or change the treble frequency. According to the wiki;

"The Fat Switch multiplies the tone stack treble cap by four. Depending upon the type of tone stack, tone control settings, position, etc., etc. the effect can be more or less noticeable."

As an early attempt I got close with the BE and a Rat model with the drive low and tone quite high, so that might be another way to add some extra grit. The warmth and thump controls in the Ultra will probably help too.

That should be #103, the 4x12 Basketweave Mix. Thanks for spotting that, I've updated the post.

I ended up using the OH 412 MAR-CB M20-PR 57-06. Sounds really good!
I'll have to fire that one up and try it. Used this patch with my Matrix Power Amp and a Mesa cab at a gig tonight and it felt really good to play, as well as cutting through over a very loud drummer.

So what's going on in the filter block? I would download the preset and check it out, but I am on a XL and for some reason Fractool does not want to lunch on my computer so I can't convert. just curious what you have in the filter so I can try to duplicate looking at your pages in the video.

That's correct, just a highpass filter around 120hz; depending on your guitar's pickups you can tweak this to taste.

From memory the only advanced parameters I tweaked were Supply sag (3) and speaker drive (1.8).Screen Shot 2017-01-29 at 11.02.12 am.png Screen Shot 2017-01-29 at 11.02.38 am.png

Update; a very kind, and patient, Axe-Fx 2 user has provided a tone match IR from the real amp. I've attached the IR and the updated preset here, it's now near-on identical. Enjoy.

Sound clips below

Attachments

• JMP Westlake Mod TM.syx
    34 KB · Views: 47
  • U006_WESTLAKE JMP.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Can someone post a clip of them using this patch please?.... I downloaded it yesterday and tried it out, but it sounds really thin and brittle to me,.. Just wondering if I'm missing something here...?

Thanks
Rick

Can someone post a clip of them using this patch please?.... I downloaded it yesterday and tried it out, but it sounds really thin and brittle to me,.. Just wondering if I'm missing something here...?

Thanks
Rick
Here's a clip of the updated preset played with a Les Paul Standard.

Back
Top Bottom