Mod Duo

Just run into this. Interesting device! seems like a hybrid between a scaled down Axe fx/Axe edit, some Line 6 M9 and Eventide H9. I like the idea and workflow but in the end it all depends on the the quality of the sounds from the effects. Anyone tried this?

they also have a Mod duo X now.

Last edited:
I have one (the original and a four button footswitch), it's nowhere near the Axe FX iii in terms of amp models, what is? It doesn't pretend to offer accuracy with any of the modelling, but it's a neat little thing. It also offers various types of synthesis, vocal effects and drum machine emulations. I figure it'd come in pretty handy in a studio when you want something a bit different from the norm.
I can't be trusted re a report on audio quality, I pretty much don't have any hearing above 8KHz, The amps do clean up with a guitars volume drop.
The Mod Duo X isn't released to the general public I don't think although it is out there to early adoptors. Much more processing power but there maybe an upgrade option available to the original Mod Duo owners at some point. The X is more a desktop unit for fx and synth guys.

There are about 250 'plug ins' available for the Mod Duo at this time, some are updated regularly and some aren't. I have yet to purchase any that aren't free cos I don't have the need tbh. The models that do require payment are available to install on a trial basis (silence every once in awhile). I access the webpage graphics (for builing new boards and presets) on both ipad and desktop, both work fine with no issue.

I have to say that I also have positive grids Bias Amp and Bias FX Pro on iPad and both work as well as each other.

ok thanks! Good info. What do you think of the quality of the effects when you compare it to the Axe fx II?

ok thanks! Good info. What do you think of the quality of the effects when you compare it to the Axe fx II?
The Mod Duo doesn’t have the same processing power as the axe fx iii. It runs audio at 24 bit 48kHz. The software is a cut down version of Linux running on a dual core 1GHz processor with one Gb of RAM and 4Gb of storage. The Axe Fx is so far ahead that it’s not really comparable. Every parameter of every effect on the AFiii is tweakable. The ‘plug ins’ for the Mod Duo are coded by a multitude of authors, some professional while others aren’t. It’s open source so pretty much anyone who wants to devote the time to building an effect can take a shot at it. The quality and depth of individual effects is therefore variable. It’s relatively early days for Mod against a Company with well over a decade of proven history.

Few things are as good as the Axe. So unless its as expensive and well built its not going to be a competitor. But if it only costs a tenth of what a Axe-FX cost that puts it in a very interesting commercial position. Not everyone can afford a Axe FX. But between $200-500 it does compete with Line 6 things like the M-series, or HX stomp. And the ability to load effects makes it potentially even more interesting, provided people start creating more interesting things then yet another tube screamer.

Few things are as good as the Axe. So unless its as expensive and well built its not going to be a competitor. But if it only costs a tenth of what a Axe-FX cost that puts it in a very interesting commercial position. Not everyone can afford a Axe FX. But between $200-500 it does compete with Line 6 things like the M-series, or HX stomp. And the ability to load effects makes it potentially even more interesting, provided people start creating more interesting things then yet another tube screamer.
It’s more like a quarter of the AFiii but at that price it’s facing competition from multi-effects processors for sure. But, it’s aimed at a wider market than guitarists/bass players. The library of ‘plug ins’ contains midi utilities also. It’s quite a multi-talented device that can only get better. The Duo X would certainly appeal to the home studio afficionado with its increased number of assignable knobs, increased power and no doubt, the increasing number of things it will be able to do. The X is aiming to be a studio tool, travelling brains of a midi setup, decent looper and whatever else the programmers can think up. Empress Effects is working on a multi-tasking box also. The Zoia which hopefully will be ready for a September release.

ok thanks. Yes I guess it's more a competitor of the Line 6 Helix stomp or M series. But I think it's a nice product and handy for small gigs or when you want to travel light. But when you already have an Axe fx II it is not adding very much.

Reactions: jkg
Back
Top Bottom