MOAEE - Electric Mistress Flanger

Hi, sorry but yesterday I've been busy and couldn't post the block, here it is
I corrected a few things too, the lfo phase should vary in relation to the rate parameter, according to my calculations lfo phase should be set lower than how it's set in the block to be authentic, but by ear I preferred it this way.
In the x/y I've set them at min and max, the same goes for the feedback and depth compared to my unit.
I'm also not 100% sure about HP and LP filters, I've set them by ear comparing it to the pedal too.
Let me know what you think!

Attachments

• Electric Mistress DLC_20151127_151951.blk
    243 bytes · Views: 207
I corrected a few things too, the lfo phase should vary in relation to the rate parameter, according to my calculations lfo phase should be set lower than how it's set in the block to be authentic, but by ear I preferred it this way.
In the x/y I've set them at min and max, the same goes for the feedback and depth compared to my unit.
I'm also not 100% sure about HP and LP filters, I've set them by ear comparing it to the pedal too.

I think it sounds great. I haven't broken out my old DEM to compare, but it's definitely in the ballpark. Nice work.

Single block, so no controllers being used?

Single block, so no controllers being used?
Nope.. probably the LFO waveform could be replicated with more fidelity using a modifier since it should be sort of halfway between the triangle and the log ones, but I preferred not to use it for simplicity.
Anyway attaching an LFO to the delay time wouldn't have alollowed me to set with the same precision the minimum delay and to have the lfo phase setting, so both methods have compromises
Maybe having a duty cycle control or other waveshaping tools on the flanger (and also chorus and phaser) block lfo could be useful in this regard

Last edited:
Thanks! I think the deluxe will sound a bit different though, it has a different LFO circuit section.
Also check this site for additional info http://www.metzgerralf.de/elekt/stomp/mistress/index.shtml

Wow - I've been lusting for this tone/block since I got my XL. Tried it last night and it's really, really good!

Interesting and detailed info on that link too - do you have any guidance on how to replicate the Andy Summers and David Gilmour settings for the actual pedal on your block? Excuse my lack of technical ability / experience, but those two settings on X/Y would be my dream come true!

Wow - I've been lusting for this tone/block since I got my XL. Tried it last night and it's really, really good!

Interesting and detailed info on that link too - do you have any guidance on how to replicate the Andy Summers and David Gilmour settings for the actual pedal on your block? Excuse my lack of technical ability / experience, but those two settings on X/Y would be my dream come true!
Thanks! Gilmour setting is basically the x state on my block, maybe just raise a bit the rate and lower (well, raise since it's a negative value) the feedback. Also I remember to have read that gilmour in some recordings used 2 amps but only one with the electric mistress on, so you can try lowering the mix to about 25% too.
For Summer's settings I should try wirh the pedal first, but looking at the knobs position I'd say rate at about 0.2-0.3 Hz, depth at 15-20% and feedback a bit higher than Gilmour settings ;)

This is good, thanks!

Now, on the Delay Time, attach a modifier, set the source to LFO1, and then in controllers page, set LFO1 to low time of .56ms (your current setting) and max time of 2.5ms -- see what you think? Gives you bigger Robin Trower-like swirl on the flange, yes?

This is good, thanks!

Now, on the Delay Time, attach a modifier, set the source to LFO1, and then in controllers page, set LFO1 to low time of .56ms (your current setting) and max time of 2.5ms -- see what you think? Gives you bigger Robin Trower-like swirl on the flange, yes?
Sorry I'm not near my axe fx at the moment, btw do you set depth at 0 when doing this? If that's the case you'll obtain the same result if in the flanger you select the same waveform that you have in the LFO, turn lfo phase to 0 and lfo hi-cut at max.. but that's a less accurate simulation of the mistress.
If instead you left the depth control where it was you're actually modulating the wet signal with 2 LFOs, that could be an interesting result but I don't think the mistress behaves like this..
Anyway I think you can obtain Trower's sound just by finding the right balance between rate, depth and feedback

Boy am I glad to see someone reworked this! Gonna try it at home tonight. I have a DEM modified by Howard Davis so it sounds like an old non-Deulxe model that I love, but I just cannot get it to cooperate the way I want in the Axe's loop, and I really don't want to use external pedals anyhow. javajunkie made a great block but I don't think it translates as well with the newer versions of firmware. Having a separate controller that goes along with it also made things kinda complicated. I really want to achieve that chorusey sound you can get when you turn the color knob way down, it reminds me of Rush's Hemispheres. Perhaps this block will get me closer to that.

With all this technical information. :cool:

You will ever see, integrated this effect, in the window / block list, Flanger-Mistress Quantum 2.xx ?
With FAS support, we can have the ultimate E.H.Mistress ;):):D
A historical pedal :rolleyes:

With all this technical information. :cool:

You will ever see, integrated this effect, in the window / block list, Flanger-Mistress Quantum 2.xx ?
With FAS support, we can have the ultimate E.H.Mistress ;):):D
A historical pedal :rolleyes:

Had a Mistress back in the 80's--with a Bluegrass band :)

Flanger-V2 18v. , More unique than rare. ;)
Chip Reticon, finished production.:mad:
There can be an equal clone
Today Hartman 9v. uses chip Panasonic :(
Is not the same thing o_O

I have an early production Hartman Flanger and it employs the Reticon chip sounds great.

Hello geetarman,

and true what you write, but ask yourself a question ?
Today, Hartman uses that IC ?
Hartman used ("only" on the first series), but .... the Reticon last series Electro Harmonix 9v.
ie, the Mistress-V6.

All previous series "E.H.Mistress", were 18v, with PCB V1-V2-V3-V4-V5
This IC Reticon, today and discontinued, unfortunately :(

This is one more reason to try to replicate this historic pedal "especially". If possible :rolleyes:
Reticon.JPG

NOTE
Electro Harmonix Deluxe, from 1999 onwards, used 24v.
As EVH Flanger Van Halen, 18v. to get more dynamic.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom