MOAEE - Electric Mistress Flanger

javajunkie

EHX Electric Mistress

First sold in 1976, the Electric Mistress Flanger has certainly made its mark in guitar effects history. The two most popular variants of the Electric Mistress Line were the standard Electric Mistress and the Deluxe Electric Mistress. The Deluxe had an internal power supply (no batteries), a wider range of settings and fixed a volume drop affected early Mistress's. The one compared here is a version 2 of the Deluxe Electric Mistress. My unit is very old and has a ton of self noise. The difference between the Axe-fx portion of the sound clips and the real thing should be quite apparent due to this.

Here is a brief description of the various control from the Mistress manual:

FLANGER MODE:
The flanging effect can be thought of as a pitch slowly sweeping between high and low limits superimposed on the guitar signal. The RATE control allows you to change the rate at which the effect occurs. With the RATE control fully counter-clockwise, the effect occurs at the slowest rate. Turning the dial clockwise increases the rate to the point where the frequency of the input signal appears to be shifted in a vibrato-like fashion.
The RANGE control allows you to set the lower limit of the sweep. Fully counter-clockwise settings, where the lower limit is just below the higher, creates a very narrow sweeping effect. Turning the RATE control clockwise lowers the low limit so that the sweep extends further into the bass. In general, a faster rate (more cw) call for a narrower range setting (more ccw). A convincing rotating speaker effect may be obtained by setting the rate near maximum, the range near minimum, and the color approximately half-way.
FILTER MATRIX MODE:
Pushing the slide switch into the FILTER MATRIX mode disengages the RATE control. The RANGE control will now manually adjust the filter matrix. Proper manipulation of the range and the COLOR controls will enable you to simulate the sound of chimes being played in unison with your instrument, as well as many other effects.
The DELUXE ELECTRIC MISTRESS has been set at the factory for maximum color capacity in the FLANGER mode. Setting the COLOR control at its most clockwise point could cause an oscillation noise. This is normal! This oscillation may be reduced by a slight reduction of the COLOR control.

Comparing this to the parameters we have available on the Axe-fx II:
Rate = Rate
Range = Depth
Color = Feedback

As has been said, putting the Mistress into Matrix Mode disengages the Rate control. This means no modulation of the delay time. Turn the depth time to 0 to do this on the Axe-fx.

From my measurements the Electric Mistress uses a very straight forward triangle waveform. I have been told by another person that there unit exhibited a rounding at the top of the triangle on their unit.

On my unit at full depth the delay time goes from ~.8 - 6ms in normal mode
In Matrix mode the delay times go from ~1-10ms

The range on my Deluxe Mistress go from ~ .07 - 10hz. It is hard to tell at highest speed because the oscillation becomes total unstable at extremely high values. It is actually a v
ery cool effect actually (like the voltage drain/charge can't keep up). It is similar to "No Quarter."

Maximum feedback on the Mistress = ~50% on the Axe-fx II.

Also, with flanged and direct outs. It looks like the mix is still 50/50 on the flanged out but the direct out is 180 degrees out of phase with flanged out and is (of course) dry.

I am publishing the examples as blocks rather than presets. The Normal mode will also need the Controller block as well as the Flanger block to work correctly. I can get a more precise delay min/max using the LFO in the Controller as compared to the Depth parameter.

The Matrix mode doesn't sweep so that is not needed. Turn the delay time and feedback in the flanger up or down to tune the comb filtering.

I could have dialed this in closer by using EQ before the flanger, but I wanted to keep it as simple as possible for maximum portability. This one isn't as close as I would like and I may revisit it.

Here is a comparison of the Normal Mode:

Here is a comparison of the Matrix Mode (note the resonances are almost impossible to match up for comaprison purposes even the smallest change in delay time alters the sound - Just tune the delay time where you want it):

Here are the blocks:
http://javajunkiemusic.com/Audio/JJMistressMediumFlanger.blk
http://javajunkiemusic.com/Audio/JJMistressMediumCTRL.blk
http://javajunkiemusic.com/Audio/JJMistressMatrixFlanger.blk

You won't be able to use the blocks until Axe-edit 3.02 is released

This and other effects emulations found here:
Fractal Audio Systems Forum - Recent Blogs Posts - Blogs

Oh boy. Have to wait a whole 5 more hours before I can try this out! Gah!

Thanks for sharing this Sean!

Sweet! Been wanting to see MOAEE now that we have the awesome new axe-edit, personally don't have the greats to even try to attempt myself. Thank-you for putting so much work into creating the block and cannot wait to give it a try.

Javajunkie, I'm going to add validation checks for block dumps to my new FADumpCheck utility. I pulled the blocks you provided to get the sizes and look at the headers. Could you tell me if the file size remains the same for saving other kinds of blocks such as amp, chorus, etc.

Cheers

Wow thanks Java.

I hope this will explode when we get the New AE. And People will save,and re-crate some Nice pedals as Fx Blocks .

Cool!

Yeah, with the blocks you can just drop them in to your blocks folder and use them where ever you want. I have missed that feature. It will be cool when it is integrated into Axemanage as well.

can you share the preset?? i love this sound. i have never liked flanger on a clean preset :)

Thanks--I had an Electric Mistress that i used with my acoustic in a bluegrass band back in late 70's! Cool sound. Thanks.

Looking forward to this. Always have trouble dialing in good flanger sounds in the Axe. Never comes really close to some of the pedal like the Electric Mistress. Feel something is missing. Hopefully this new block will convince me about of the Axe flanger.

Back
Top Bottom