Mmmmmm, Buttery

Blend it with a wrecker, or even better, a DUMBLE!! :p trust me when I say that combo will have you playing that strat till you fall asleep on yourself! Hahaha :D

Blend it with a wrecker, or even better, a DUMBLE!! :p trust me when I say that combo will have you playing that strat till you fall asleep on yourself! Hahaha :D

How funny! When 4.01 came out I loaded it at about 8pm and started playing my strat while noodling around with the Buttery and different combos. After what I thought was a couple hours I went to get a drink out of the kitchen and noticed it was daylight. :shock I had shower and go to work. Those were some long meetings that day!

I also love this amp sim. In fact, I'm trying to make myself use the JCM800 (for no particular reason, I guess) but I honestly like the Buddha better. I have both tweaked to kinda play in same "space" - my medium gain tone.

Nice, lots of Budda love around here!

Also sounds very welI with a Face Fuzz before it.

Hahaha I will try that too! :p

I think maybe Cliff should do more amps by ear alone - this one certainly turned out pretty good! ;)

I think my favorite model on the Axe II at this point. Works wonders with my Nocaster clean to mean...

One of my favorites as well. I don't know how much it sounds like a twinmaster (I own a SuperDrive 30 and have owned both the twinmaster and the verbmaster) but it sounds good to me.

shotgunn said:
I am SOOOOOOO trying this amp for the first time tonight. With my Strat!!!

I'm a high gain djent djent meedley meedely meedely type player...

Sent from my iPod.

Me too. Holy crap.
And I I have the volume low too, so I don't wake the neighbors.
Can't wait to crank it tomorrow

I think this is my favorite thread so far. Lol

I had a Budda Superdrive a while ago. Budda amps are known for great power-amp section. And I believe all of their models have similar power-amp sections, the designer Jeff Bober is an expert on this.

I think that Buttery is not very accurate, quite frankly. It's a different sound altogether, it sounds fantastic though, one of my favorite models. Again, I'm comparing it to the clean channel of Budda Superdrive, never owned a Twinmaster.

Buttery really likes a TS808 pedal in front.

By the way, how about modeling Budda Superdrive in the future? They are fantastic and sadly underrated amps. The drive channel is one of the best I've heard. It sounds good especially with thinner pickups aka single coils, because it is thick like milkshake :)

Great Stuff! Tried pretty much everything above (settled on X = G12M, Y = M75) and it sounds great with my Suhr SCs! I got my Axe 2 a month or so ago and have been patiently working my way through the amps and tweaking them to my taste and saving to basic presets. I passed right by Buttery because, for whatever reason, it didn't do anything for me. Once I tried suggestions above, it is awesome! That's what makes this forum so great.

Here's my add: throw in the studio compressor on stock settings. It beefs it up and dirties it up just a bit more with SCs. Backing off drive or MV a bit and adding compressor + a little level makes a very useful "bump" to the standard preset.

Reactions: yek
I wrote this in 2010 ;)

"Buttery!
Aka Budda Twinmaster.
I recently rediscovered this sim.
Crank the master (it's a non-MV amp), keep Drive low (f.e. 2), turn down Bass, turn up Treble, Bright off.
Add Greenbacks (f.e. Red Wirez G12M25s) or G12H30s and you get a wonderful tone that covers the area between clean and crunch. Very articulate and transparent."

And it still applies. :) Love this amp sim!
At the moment I use it more often than Wrecker or Plexi.
Use with M75 or H75 (no mic) or G12M (SM57).

It's particulary remarkable, regarding how it was created:

Cliff: "I did the Buttery model by ear. I listened to some clips of Buddas (Matchbox 20, remember them?) and tweaked the model until I thought it sounded like one. Screwed around a little with the tube bias points until it had the right balance of harmonics and called it a day."

Thank you for this.. followed your instructions and sounds great..even with my PRS513..I can imagine with Tele is the killer sound.. Thanks again!!

Again, I'm comparing it to the clean channel of Budda Superdrive, never owned a Twinmaster.

The clean channel of the Superdrive sounds almost identical to a Twinmaster. That's why I sold the Twinmaster and kept the Superdrive 30.

By the way, how about modeling Budda Superdrive in the future? They are fantastic and sadly underrated amps. The drive channel is one of the best I've heard. It sounds good especially with thinner pickups aka single coils, because it is thick like milkshake :)

The Buttery sim has more gain than a Twinmaster and approaches the amount of gain available in the Superdrive. Although I have never tried to compare or match the Superdrive tones with the Buttery sim, I would LOVE to see the Drive channel of the Superdrive modeled in the Axe II. Also, the Series 1 Superdrives sound a lot different, and much better IMO, than the Series II amps. I have a Series I Superdrive 30 head (serial number 14) and I would be willing to send/loan it to Cliff if he can get a schematic to model the amp. Cliff, if you are interested I will email Jeff Bober to see if he would be willing to give us a schematic for the series I amp. He may not be able to do that since Peavey owns the Budda name now.

If Y is the default state, the dedicated X/Y switch on the MFC Is green instead of red and I like that. :)

I use my X/Y dedicated switch on the MFC as CC not as IA switch, this make the led off when in X mode (default) and lights green when in Y mode!
Nice to have no led on as X default, and to have it green when in Y, I find it more relevant as green means on as default color.

Great thing is that the MFC can suit any need and adapt to what each player find the more usefull.

I use my X/Y dedicated switch on the MFC as CC not as IA switch, this make the led off when in X mode (default) and lights green when in Y mode!
Nice to have no led on as X default, and to have it green when in Y, I find it more relevant as green means on as default color.

Great thing is that the MFC can suit any need and adapt to what each player find the more usefull.

Nice alternative approach!

EDIT: just tried this on my MFC and it works well.

Last edited:
Just another +1 for the Buttery sim... my "go-to" light crunch sound. Pretty much the stock 040 preset with the Input Trim backed down to about 0.80. I run into a real EVM12L, as I think Yek does also. Awesome!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom