ML Sound Lab MARS SILVER Cab Pack - Silver Jubilee from 1987

Thank you buddy! Yeah I'm right there with you.. if only there was a way to make good IR's fast then I'd do it but it definitely pays off doing them properly. :) I'll start working on the next Cab Pack hopefully this week... what it is... will be a surprise. ;)
Hope is a Vox AC30, I agree with the other chap, no more mesa please!! hahaha

I agree that we have more than enough Mesa cab and Vintage 30 speaker IRs by now. Although I have to admit that the latest two releases from ML even raised the bar a little higher. Bought them both, love ´em!

If there was a wish list, I would be very interested in IRs from speakers that haven‘t already been done so often: G12H(75) Heritage, G12H-30 Creamback, G12-35X, Lynchback and the good old (and nowadays very underrated) G12T-75. How about a poll?

But well, I guess it‘s understandable that an IR developer needs to cover the most popular basics first to build a customer base... which means V30 and Mesa... all the stuff everybody wants and uses these days.

Last edited:
I agree with you all. I'll ask around about the Vox thing. I have a buddy who owns a vintage one so if he'll lend me his it should work out quite easily. This is the perfect time to get this feedback as I do own most of those speakers you're requesting. Even the T75 which I haven't actually ever released IR's of. Much like with all Celestion speakers I just had to find the right version of those speakers from the 90s. The 80s T75s are almost all cardboardy sounding and the newer ones have that nasty ice pick high end to them but these 90s T75s that I have are completely different beasts.

The Mesa IR's needed to come first after all the djent kids have been filling up my every inbox on every forum for years asking for .wav IR's. :) Also I'm a Mesa guy and those old V30s from the 90s work for every imaginable genre so it "had to be done". Also the same rules apply just like I said before, I've shot the T75s many times and they never ended up on any packs because I'm not going to sell something that doesn't sound good. It's not good for the users and it sure isn't good for the brand either. :)

Hey Mikko,
Thank you for considering the wishes of your customers!
I know what you mean about the T75‘s „nasty ice pick high end“. Yes, it may sound strange and unpleasant to the modern progressive (no, I refuse to mention the D word) metal player, but it definitely has its own character. And that slightly unpleasant, sort of acquired taste element is exactly what I miss in modern productions. Every little resonant frequency gets notched out until the result is a tame, bland sound that misses any aggression, recognition factor and diversity. To put it a little bit provocatively: every T75 recording (and there aren’t that many to begin with...) gets edited so much until it finally sounds like a Vintage 30. ;-)
But enough of that. I am really looking forward to your future IR releases. Qualitywise your IRs are among (if not the) the best I have come across so far. And my Marshall JVM JS is already getting hot and horny in anticipation of an ML T75 IR pack (or a Heritage G12H, a Lynchback...).
Cheers :)

"at some point".
""at some point""
FreeRequiredBlackcrappie-size_restricted.gif

Hey Mikko,
Thank you for considering the wishes of your customers!
I know what you mean about the T75‘s „nasty ice pick high end“. Yes, it may sound strange and unpleasant to the modern progressive (no, I refuse to mention the D word) metal player, but it definitely has its own character. And that slightly unpleasant, sort of acquired taste element is exactly what I miss in modern productions. Every little resonant frequency gets notched out until the result is a tame, bland sound that misses any aggression, recognition factor and diversity. To put it a little bit provocatively: every T75 recording (and there aren’t that many to begin with...) gets edited so much until it finally sounds like a Vintage 30. ;-)
But enough of that. I am really looking forward to your future IR releases. Qualitywise your IRs are among (if not the) the best I have come across so far. And my Marshall JVM JS is already getting hot and horny in anticipation of an ML T75 IR pack (or a Heritage G12H, a Lynchback...).
Cheers :)
That range where the peak is at is actually on some other speakers as well. Even some V30s have that if you pull the mic all the way to the side. It doesn't automatically sound bad just like you said. After all the T75 is the Yngwie speaker. I assume the list of things that he likes is not too long but this speaker is on it. ;) Also Marshall still comes stock with the T75s.

Not to sound like a douchebag or anything but why are you just capturing one speaker on these
packs and going in increments of brightness ?

That's one of the many things that sets you apart from the others. I still enjoy them, I was just curious.

Not to sound like a douchebag or anything but why are you just capturing one speaker on these
packs and going in increments of brightness ?

That's one of the many things that sets you apart from the others. I still enjoy them, I was just curious.
Good question, not douchebaggy. :) Before I set out to do this ML brand "proper release" thing I actually had a questionnaire open for "big dudes" in the industry. The main emphasis was on the usability side of things. I've never really received negative feedback for anything else but having too many options in the packs. So the common theme for everyone seemed to be that they want to get amazing results fast and not get lost. If it takes too long, the IR pack is not solving the problem for them. So the way these packs are made is to be a perfect amount of options so you can go through them in just the right amount of time and there are "no bad options" so even if you do everything fully randomly you'll end up with a good sound. :)

The original idea was to essentially only have the "ace folders" from before. Then I had an idea for the MEGA OVERSIZE pack, because I wanted it to be able to sound like Cab Pack 13 USA Bulb if needed or Cab Pack USA Djent if needed and essentially what that brightness variation does is go from dark (cp13) to bright (cp djent) and also with never-before-seen inbetween options. MEGA OVERSIZE has gotten the best feedback out of any IR collections I've ever received and the usability is one of the main reasons so at least for now I'm sticking to it. I actually find myself using these packs as well, where normally I would never have the time to go through all the options in even my own Cab Packs.

So to summarize - it's all about minimizing the time the user will spend searching for guitar sounds and giving only the best options and essentially "trusting me" about what the best sweet spot on a 4x12 will be and giving some flexibility with brightness variations. :)

Reactions: Rex
So to summarize - it's all about minimizing the time the user will spend searching for guitar sounds and giving only the best options and essentially "trusting me" about what the best sweet spot on a 4x12 will be and giving some flexibility with brightness variations. :)
Excellent choice.

Your older cab packs were a treasure trove of hundreds of IRs, captured in every possible way. But for every guy who wants to scroll through every option to make sure he's found the absolute perfect IR for himself, there are twenty guys who would rather spend their time browsing a a small, curated group of known-good cabs to find what they like best.

**DISCOUNT TIME**

Some of you awesome people who already purchased a pack from the new ML store have been asking for a discount on a second pack. I was able to pull some strings so if you've purchased anything on the new ML store and buy a pack now, use the code MIKKOHIGHFIVE and you'll get 5€ OF STORE CREDIT. There's a limited amount of these codes available so if you want to take advantage I recommend you to be quick. Starting my own website was a scary thing and you guys have made it a dream come true so take this as a thank you for the early supporters of the ML store. :)

I've always wondered what it means Ace & Alloy on your cab packs.
Yeah it was never self-explanitory. Ace was "the quick user folder" with only the best options. "Alloy" was a collection of mixed IR's done in real life by playing around with real mic phase and getting interesting results. I personally hate to have any folders at all. Searching for files inside multiple folders is just a waste of time and people get lost. So having everything in one folder with combining the easy-to-use aspect and also giving the variety in there as well was the idea. The feedback has been really good!

Yeah it was never self-explanitory. Ace was "the quick user folder" with only the best options. "Alloy" was a collection of mixed IR's done in real life by playing around with real mic phase and getting interesting results. I personally hate to have any folders at all. Searching for files inside multiple folders is just a waste of time and people get lost. So having everything in one folder with combining the easy-to-use aspect and also giving the variety in there as well was the idea. The feedback has been really good!
cool thank you for letting mw know!!well i really prefer the best irs inside a folder and not too many irs inside multiple folders,sometimes i get crazy searching for the right IR or mix IR.

cool thank you for letting mw know!!well i really prefer the best irs inside a folder and not too many irs inside multiple folders,sometimes i get crazy searching for the right IR or mix IR.
That was exactly the idea here. If you only have the best options left with some "safe wiggle room" that's much better than having multiple folders with hundreds of IR's.

Back
Top Bottom