ML Sound Lab: FW20 Stratocaster in a mix test!

Beautiful! It reminds me of Dredg. Have you ever heard of them?

Sure I've heard a few songs from them. :) It must be the drums. I usually go for a Abe Cunningham (Deftones) vibe with drums no matter what genre I create and Dredg is similar in that sense I guess.

Sounds great, I'm curious about the drums rather than the guitars, guessing they are sampled drums, what have you used for them?

Yeah that's EZDrummer 2. Just the basic kit. I really like the sound of them. I think I chose a brass snare and the kick might be triggered.

No Sukr in this one I'm afraid. Obviously it would've sounded awesome as well. Actually I think I should've at least played the intro with a Sukr cab. The low end on the smaller Sukr cabinets is so clean and tight. It's sort of like having a really good natural low cut on a 4x12 cab since those "smaller" cabs aren't really that small if you've seen those Sukr cabs in real life. :) They're the size of a 2x12 Mesa cab.

Asked coz your Sukr demo sounds very Strat-friendly to me (and I'm a Strat-biased guy!). Will be my n.1 cabs IR for old-style Strat sounds... when... well... ya know when! :lol

Thanks again for all the feedback! I think I have a project I want to use this for and your input only confirmed what I was thinking myself. :) Thank you!

Asked coz your Sukr demo sounds very Strat-friendly to me (and I'm a Strat-biased guy!). Will be my n.1 cabs IR for old-style Strat sounds... when... well... ya know when! :lol

Yeah the "Sukr" pack is very Strat friendly. That demo I did is using this same strat but in the metal part in the end it's a PRS.

The "Sukr" pack has that crystal clear snap and growl to it. The guy I rented the actual cabs from is a huge strat fanatic and professional guitar player. ;)

Here's another clip on my strat and all different speaker types of the Sukr pack:

The "Sukr" pack has that crystal clear snap and growl to it. The guy I rented the actual cabs from is a huge strat fanatic and professional guitar player. ;)

Here's another clip on my strat and all different speaker types of the Sukr pack:

I.E. in this second clip the cab IMHO helps the "acoustic side" of the Strat tone... not only in the low-dyn parts... but even in the growlin land!
Definitively a delicate flavour for discerning palates!
And also... a tone that needs a dynamically calibrated touch to get all the tonal palette! Not "easy" ... but... I can see my bad face smiling... YA KNOW WHEN!!!! :lol

I.E. in this second clip the cab IMHO helps the "acoustic side" of the Strat tone... not only in the low-dyn parts... but even in the growlin land!
Definitively a delicate flavour for discerning palates!
And also... a tone that needs a dynamically calibrated touch to get all the tonal palette! Not "easy" ... but... I can see my bad face smiling... YA KNOW WHEN!!!! :lol

Yeah man definitely. I was in Strat heaven recording those clips. The Strat neck pickup can sometimes kind of have an over the top low end. In a mix I feel like on some 4x12 cabs it kind of pops out in the mix. Not necessarily on a bad way but if you don't want that then using smaller cabs takes care of it. The only problem is that it's really hard to find nice IRs out of smaller cabs. That has been the reason I haven't done smaller cabs before. I was really happy to do these particular cabs since they're not so small so I know they're not boxy sounding yet they sound smaller. Really happy with the IRs and the Fractal beta team is LOVING them. :)

I dunno, Biffy Clyro get some amazing fat disto from single coil Strats. Sometimes they just work with those highs I reckon. :)

Need to try that out. :) Also the strat body shape is really good against my body. Maybe it's because I started on a strat and it just feels like home. :)

Back
Top Bottom