ML Sound Lab Episode 6: Ultimate Cab Pack Comparison

Which Cab Packs did you like?

• Total voters
At first I thought A but realized it changed to B when I liked it. H might be my favorite, has this Grrr in it I like. F had some unique character that would be good for some things, D was good but nothing special to say about it.

I liked A and D the best . Cab pack 13 is the best of course because that's the one I bought and I am a most discerning customer and tone guru ya right.

Haha... you realize that there are way more packs in this comparison that have been published from me right? :lol

Oh and I must say that this preset is a Recto patch so obviously if I was using a different amp sim we would get different results also. :)

EDIT: Based on this poll I'm starting to feel like I need to put Cab Pack H out next!!!

Make another audio clip and change the order of the cabs to see if you get a different result. Our ears tend to trick us.

Yeah I might do that. It would actually be even better if I chose the "right" amp sims for each Cab Pack and balanced the tones perfectly. Maybe I could also choose a genre that is more generic and not just metal... Yup.. I'll do a part two. But I will post results for this also. Obviously I can not say much about the unreleased stuff in these clips but I'll try and give as much information as is needed. :)

H and J are nicely different. (and yeah, they sound very different from each other, and the rest)

I like K too. (sounds very similar to A)

I want to thank you guys for pointing out some issues with this comparison. I will post these results anyways in a week or so but here's a BETTER COMPARISON: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...ab-episode-7-cab-pack-comparison-part-ii.html of the same packs with those problems taken care of. Essentially adding pauses between the packs is essential so your ears are not completely adjusted to hearing a specific tonality. Guitar volume levels are higher so you hear them better. Guitar volume levels are more equal. In this test some clips were pretty quiet and some were louder.

This is all very exciting and deep psychologically. I've created these comparison polls many times on this forum and 90% of the time the first option wins. I think it might be because people's ears get used to that first mix immediately after hearing it and after that you tend to seek for similarities rather than preferences.

A is the most open, and new rock-like. Of course it's going to be the most popular. I pick B, then K.

Hey guys and thanks for voting for this thread. This comparison failed in some ways which is why I created another comparison: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...ab-episode-7-cab-pack-comparison-part-ii.html

Because of this fail (sorry guys) some of the very best sounds (that did really well in the other comparison) sounded weak in comparison in this one which is why I don't want to name all clips in this thread but the top three cabs were:

A: Cab Pack 7: USA Traditional 4x12
D: Cab Pack 12: EVH 5150 III 4x12
H: Brit HW (unreleased)

EDIT: Oh and after that it's the Citrus 4x12 (unreleased) and Cab Pack 8: Brit TV.

Back
Top Bottom