ML Labs.. Cab or Amp packs??

jmadden5124

Okay newbie question for y'all..

I have question for you kind folks.. I see ML Labs has a 20% Easter Sale on all of their cab packs and amp packs. I hear they're very good. I myself am interested in their Freeman Cab pack based on greenback and V30s from a vintage Friedman cab. The YouTube videos make it look like its exactly what I'm looking for. The Freeman demonstration video I saw here makes it look like you can buy this pack and be up & rocking with very little to no tweaking.

Was curious if cab packs are more justified in buying than amp packs? If the axe fx has hundreds of amp models already built in.. wouldn't the better value be to buy the cab packs and enjoy the already made presets in these cab packs as opposed to buying an amp pack?

This is what confuses me. What exactly is an amp pack doing for me that the already built in model amps aren't going to do?

If I purchase the ML Labs Silver cab pack based on a Marshall 2551BV 4x12 cab here would I regret not buying the Marshall silver amp pack? Or.. are the Axe FX built in modeled amps.. namely the "Britt amps" lacking in some way that I would want or need the ML Mars silver jubilee amp profile that they're selling on the ML Labs site?

I apologize for my ignorance as my brand new Axe FX II XL+ has recently arrived and I haven't taken it out of the box yet. I bought it off of a forum user here by visiting his Ebay listing. The unit has never been opened before I got my paws on it. Unfortunately I have just recently moved & have been super busy, I just haven't gotten to taking it out of the box yet.

I am just wondering what is better money spent. I am not going to buy all of these ML Labs packs even tho I would like to... but that Freeman cab packs really is speaking to me.

Friedman-Freeman-Impulse-Response-Cab-Pack-ML-Sound-Lab-Greenback-Vintage-30-V30-Celestion_2_1296x.jpg

The world of modeled amps and cabinets fascinates me. What a world we live in. Imagine now if you could buy and download a specific pedal profile from the manufacturer.. like a Beetronics Royal Jelly or a Wampler Fuzztration and add it into a block. Now that would be cool. Someday perhaps. Okay now I'm getting a little off-topic.

Let me know what you think. Thanks Fractal people.

Not sure what you mean by an amp pack. You can’t add amps to the unit. Perhaps you are thinking of preset packs, such as those sold by @austinbuddy or @Moke ?

Cab packs are great if you are looking to build your custom sounds. I just bought that Freman packs and am loving it.

I’ve also bought preset packs. I would recommend those as a way of hearing and seeing what this powerful unit is capable of.

Amp pack from ML is a presets pack with one cab.
The cab pack is IRs of the cab.

If you’re struggling to dial an amp, go for the amp pack.
If you’re looking for IRs of a cab, go for the cab pack.

I hope this help.

So if I understand correctly.. the ML Labs Mars Silver Amp Pack that is listed on sale HERE <- Link is an amplifier that is already stock in the fractal.. and what you're purchasing is just the dialed in presets of such amplifier?

I guess I assumed it was an amplifier that you were adding. Pardon my ignorance as I have yet to dive into this yet. I just didn't want to miss the sale so I thought I'd grab a couple items from the shop. Perhaps I'll just get the Friedman cab pack instead.

So if I understand correctly.. the ML Labs Mars Silver Amp Pack that is listed on sale HERE <- Link is an amplifier that is already stock in the fractal.. and what you're purchasing is just the dialed in presets of such amplifier?

I guess I assumed it was an amplifier that you were adding. Pardon my ignorance as I have yet to dive into this yet. I just didn't want to miss the sale so I thought I'd grab a couple items from the shop. Perhaps I'll just get the Friedman cab pack instead.
Good idea, the Freeman pack is excellent, and you are right , unlike Kemper, 3rd party amp profiles don’t really exist, and while Mikko’s
Amp packs are OK, IMO his strength is inIR shooting.

You cannot add an amp to the Axe-Fx. So, yes, the ML amp pack is an already present amp in the Axe that is dialed to sound « like the real thing ». These presets come with an IR cab from his cab pack.

Good idea, the Freeman pack is excellent, and you are right , unlike Kemper, 3rd party amp profiles don’t really exist, and while Mikko’s
Amp packs are OK, IMO his strength is inIR shooting.
I just bought the Friedman pack a couple of days ago. Haven’t loaded them just looked at the files. Question, which ones do I load into the III? The 48khz and 200ms files?

So I did a thing.

I picked up the ML Labs Freeman pack, also their Oversized Cab pack, & the Mars Silver packs.

Also grabbed the Ownhammer Heavy Hitters Collection - Volume I (Diezel, Marshall, Mesa, and Orange cabs).. & also the Ownhammer 412 BOG-ST IR file based on a Bogner standard 4x12 (uberkab).. the Ownhammer 412 MAR-CB based on a 1970's Marshall 1960B "checkerboard" 4x12 cabinet (hell yes!)

and also.. and idk why I did this.. but I just thought it would be a good idea . I grabbed the Celestion complete collection from their website celestionplus.com.. they use 3 Microphones in 6 Positions on every speaker listed.. everything from creambacks to greenbacks, V30's, the Celestion Golds.. looks cool.

I think I might be busy for a while.

So I did a thing.

I picked up the ML Labs Freeman pack, also their Oversized Cab pack, & the Mars Silver packs.

Also grabbed the Ownhammer Heavy Hitters Collection - Volume I (Diezel, Marshall, Mesa, and Orange cabs).. & also the Ownhammer 412 BOG-ST IR file based on a Bogner standard 4x12 (uberkab).. the Ownhammer 412 MAR-CB based on a 1970's Marshall 1960B "checkerboard" 4x12 cabinet (hell yes!)

and also.. and idk why I did this.. but I just thought it would be a good idea . I grabbed the Celestion complete collection from their website celestionplus.com.. they use 3 Microphones in 6 Positions on every speaker listed.. everything from creambacks to greenbacks, V30's, the Celestion Golds.. looks cool.

I think I might be busy for a while.

That's a giant rabbit hole you've dug for yourself right there for sure! :D

Remember to come up for air, beverages and nutrition once in a while. :p

That's a giant rabbit hole you've dug for yourself right there for sure! :D

Remember to come up for air, beverages and nutrition once in a while. :p

Yep. I'm still shy a couple more like I really want the Peavey Delta Blues 1x15 that Prince used to run in the studio.. and some California style Fender cab like the Hotrod Deluxe or Tweed deluxe I forgot what its called.. and whatever Fender used with the older 81 blackface Princeton Reverb. But all in all.. I'll be satisfied I think lol.

Back
Top Bottom