"ML Greatest Hits" - 2018 BLACK NOVEMBER PACK!

AMG 6x6.JPG
There is no sarcasm emoji is there? Let's just say that I'm 6'4 and will not fit in a Lambo. Also I just became a dad so I'm only looking at cars that can fit a stroller, baby seat, two guitar cabs and a dozen guitars. :D Please contribute to that, I HAVE A BABY!! (Playing that card now. ;) )
Well with all the cab-packs you've developed and sold, here's the "perfect" family truckster that will cover the wife, baby, stroller, diaper bag and family dog ...

This pack is fantastic. He gave me more fun than most of the firmware upgrade ;) It is not as big as other packs, and it does not bother me like other sets containing 200 or more files. (Who has so much time in life to listen to the nuances of several hundred IRs?).

Mikko, why you (You and other IRs creators) do not give frequencies of low and high resonance? Since you already have a real guitar cab in processing, why not examine these parameters? It would be easier to choose appropriate settings in the amp...

This pack is fantastic. He gave me more fun than most of the firmware upgrade ;) It is not as big as other packs, and it does not bother me like other sets containing 200 or more files. (Who has so much time in life to listen to the nuances of several hundred IRs?).

Mikko, why you (You and other IRs creators) do not give frequencies of low and high resonance? Since you already have a real guitar cab in processing, why not examine these parameters? It would be easier to choose appropriate settings in the amp...
First of all thank you for the amazing feedback. :) Less can be more, I think we've proven it here.

Regarding the resonance frequencies. It's a more complicated question than most people think. The main reason why IR producers don't post these are a) most of them don't even know what it is and b) the ones who do, don't recommend diving into that rabbit hole. :) I'm assuming most people want to try these frequencies out on the speaker page right? The measurement I can give you will be based on what amp I used to load my cab and what speakers were in my cab and the cab itself obviously. That's not really a problem for me since I use matching tube amps with 4x12s but I know that's not the case for every IR producer. The fact that people are asking for the frequency alone tells me that people don't have a great understanding of how this all works. It's like asking for an EQ frequency and not asking for the dB amount or Q value, just the frequency. The Q value and resonance amount varies more than the frequency itself. I highly recommend playing around with the speaker page and seeing how easy it is to mess things up if you don't know what you're doing... what I'm trying to say is, I highly recommend trusting the default values set by Cliff since they are VERY GOOD. :)

I agree fully that I have made a mental shortcut by asking only about the frequency. I know Q and level is as important as upper or lower frequency itself. Then new question: why do not You give these six parameters to Your IRs? ;) (joke of course)

And I fully agree that I do not fully understand how it all works with this resonance (on low, phisicall level) ;) Hence the attempt to take a shortcut - getting ready sets of parameters from the creator of IR (ie from You). ;)

From Clif's materials it only results that each guitar cab has different parameters and adjust the tab in the amp model for a particular IR. Of course, if you do not know what to do - it is actually easy to break. That's why I omit this tab in AX8-Edit and leave it like the FAS set (ok, sometimes I change the ratio of the transformer).

If, however, along with a specific IR, there would be specific regulations for low and high resonance (plus Q and level) - it would probably be a better starting point for experiments than the default values, does not it?

Although probably I'm wrong, that's how I write here, because boring time at work :): D

No no there are no wrong questions. I just get asked about this a lot so I wanted to give my honest opinion. :)

I bought these and loaded them up along with FW 2.00.

Spent about an hour playing thru them with headphones. Every one is usable, which I've never said about any cab pack.

So far the Citrus 2x12 and the Zilla 2x12 are my favorites.

I bought these and loaded them up along with FW 2.00.

Spent about an hour playing thru them with headphones. Every one is usable, which I've never said about any cab pack.

So far the Citrus 2x12 and the Zilla 2x12 are my favorites.
Thank you SO MUCH @unix-guy ! :) There's something magical about a really well built 2x12 cab. If you think about cabinet resonances you want the depth, height and width to be all different lengths to get the "most pleasing resonance". Many 4x12s are almost the same height and width which is actually a little bit problematic. Just saying. :)

EDIT: Video demo:

22 cabinets in one pack. ;) More info here: https://shop.fractalaudio.com/ML_Greatest_Hits_Collection_p/fas-801-0053.htm

Fractal Audio and ML Sound Lab are celebrating our four year successful collaboration with a "Greatest Hits" Cab Pack. This is actually by far the most requested Cab Pack ever since I started announcing my personal top IR list. So that's exactly what this is, my personal top IR's with a bonus User Cab that's an unreleased IR of my personal guitar cab which weirdly enough has never been in any pack. :) Overall my top list has been gone over hundreds of times to only include IR's that I can trust to work for clients and they also cover a lot of ground from 1x12s to 2x12s to 4x10 bass cabs to obviously the 4x12s that we all love.

The pack obviously comes with my personal favorite Mesa, Diezel, Zilla etc. djent IR's all the way to vintage gems but also some IR's that in my opinion haven't gotten the attention they deserve. The 1970s Creamback cabinet from the Brit II collection is still one of the best cabs I've ever had at the studio but I don't hear anyone talking about it. The Orange 4x12 has got to be one of the fullest sounding cabs I've ever done. And in the end there's nothing I like more for clean sounds than some vintage Fender or Vox IR's.

Here's the list of what's included:
  1. ML 1x12 Sure, based on a Suhr™ 1x12 Cabinet with an English Celestion™ Vintage 30® Speaker
  2. ML 1x12 USA Tweed, based on a 1960 Fender™ “Tweed” Deluxe 5E3 Narrow Panel Combo with a Jensen™ P12Q® Speaker
  3. ML 2x12 Citrus, based on an Orange™ 2x12 Cabinet with Celestion™ 60w Vintage 30® Speakers
  4. ML 2x12 Class-A, based on a 1964 Vox™ 2x12 AC30® Top Boost Combo with original Alnico Blue® Speakers
  5. ML 2x12 Double Verb, based on a 1969 Fender™ Silverface Twin Combo with Oxford® Speakers
  6. ML 2x12 USA, based on a Mesa™ 2x12 Cabinet with Celestion™ 70w Vintage 30® Speakers
  7. ML 2x12 Zilla, based on an IR mix of Zilla Cabs™ combining several Celestion™ Speakers
  8. ML 4x10 SV Bass, based on an Ampeg™ 4x10 SVT™ 410 Bass Cabinet with 10” Speakers
  9. ML 4x10 USA Bass, based on a Mesa™ PowerHouse PH1000 Bass Cabinet with Eminence™ 1x15 and 4x10 Speakers & HF Horn
  10. ML 4x12 5153, based on an EVH™ 5150III® 4x12 Straight Cabinet with Signature Celestion™ G12EVH® Speakers
  11. ML 4x12 Angle, based on an Engl™ 4x12 Pro™ Straight Cabinet with 60w Celestion™ Vintage 30™ Speakers
  12. ML 4x12 Brit Cream, based on a Marshall™ 1960B 4x12 Cabinet with Rola™ Celestion™ G12H-30 “Creamback” Speakers
  13. ML 4x12 Brit Fortus, based on a Marshall™ JCM Slash Signature 1960AV 4x12 Cabinet with Celestion™ Vintage Speakers
  14. ML 4x12 Brit PR75, based on a Marshall™ 1960 4x12 Cabinet with “pre-Rola™” Celestion™ G12M-25 75hz “Greenback” Speakers
  15. ML 4x12 Brit TV, based on a Marshall™ 1960TV 4x12 Cabinet with Celestion™ G12M-25 "Greenback” Speakers
  16. ML 4x12 Citrus, based on an Orange™ 4x12 Straight Cabinet with English Celestion™ Vintage 30® Speakers
  17. ML 4x12 Dizzy, based on a Diezel™ 4x12 front-loaded with 60w Celestion™ Vintage 30® and G12K-100® Speakers
  18. ML 4x12 Euro, based on a Bogner™ 4x12 Slant Cabinet with 60w Celestion™ Vintage 30® Speakers
  19. ML 4x12 Mikko's Cab, based on a Mesa™ 4x12 OS Straight Cabinet with 70W “Original Spec” Celestion™ Vintage 30® Speakers
  20. ML 4x12 USA Bulb, based on a Mesa™ 4x12 OS Straight Cabinet with 70W Celestion™ Vintage 30® Speakers
  21. ML 4x12 USA Djent, based on a Mesa™ 4x12 OS Slant Cabinet with 70W Celestion™ Vintage 30® Speakers
  22. ML 4X12 USA Trad, based on a Mesa™ 4x12 Traditional Straight Cabinet with 70W Celestion™ Vintage 30® Speakers

There's a lot of cool stories behind this pack which I'll get into later so stay tuned if you're interested. There are no "ML Legends" IR's in this pack. More about that pack here: https://shop.fractalaudio.com/ML_Legends_p/fas-801-0052b.htm

**REMINDER** - I would like to remind everyone that unlike last year, this is a limited time offer so be sure to get it while you can.

Are them ir's from other pack or are particular ir's that we can't find in your other collections?

Are them ir's from other pack or are particular ir's that we can't find in your other collections?
From the web shop page:

Cab Pack: ML Greatest Hits contains the greatest User Cab IR’s from every Cab Pack produced for Fractal Audio Systems by ML Sound Lab in the span of four years. This collection of 22 impulse responses (IR’s) is the swiss army knife of Cab Packs and covers most speaker options from big to small, vintage to modern and even bass cabinets.

I really like the less-is-more approach of this library and haven‘t regretted the purchase. I can wholeheartedly recommend this pack to everyone looking for high quality IRs.
But to be honest there is one little thing that I find a little strange - 50% of the IRs (and nearly every 4x12) are based on Vintage 30 speakers. I know they are very popular and there are slightly different versions available, but still a little bit more diversity would have been nice.
Nonetheless, a great IR library and definitely worth every penny!

I really like the less-is-more approach of this library and haven‘t regretted the purchase. I can wholeheartedly recommend this pack to everyone looking for high quality IRs.
But to be honest there is one little thing that I find a little strange - 50% of the IRs (and nearly every 4x12) are based on Vintage 30 speakers. I know they are very popular and there are slightly different versions available, but still a little bit more diversity would have been nice.
Nonetheless, a great IR library and definitely worth every penny!
I have to admit that I'm a sucker for 4x12 V30s and for that reason my greatest hits list will naturally include as many of them as possible. That being said, while the consensus may be that the different versions of V30s are just slight differences, I think this pack goes to show that the differences can be really big. Celestion has made at least 7 different V30 specs and if you try something like that 70s Creamback and compare it to some of these V30s you'll notice that the difference between something like a new V30 vs original spec V30 is maybe even bigger than a V30 vs a vintage Creamback. So yes, it's a little boring that many of the speakers have the same name but if you just concentrate on the sound you'll hopefully find that the name is where the similarities end.

Thank you for liking the pack buddy! :)

This cab is awesome and one of my favorites in the pack.
This one is special. I'm not sure if my addiction to Mesa cabs has been evident throughout the years but I've had over a dozen Mesa cabs come through the studio for me to open up, study, mic up, study and pass on in case they're nothing special. In many cases people have borrowed me some of these cabs and they will let me shoot a pack of it but not buy the cab. So I end up searching for sales ads in my area pretty much every week trying to find special items and one day "it was there", the oldest Mesa cab I've ever seen. I immediately drove a 8 hour trip to get it and yes..... YEEEESSSS!!

Thank you SO MUCH @unix-guy ! :) There's something magical about a really well built 2x12 cab. If you think about cabinet resonances you want the depth, height and width to be all different lengths to get the "most pleasing resonance". Many 4x12s are almost the same height and width which is actually a little bit problematic. Just saying. :)

Would that still be true for a 4x12 that is front loaded and ported?

Would that still be true for a 4x12 that is front loaded and ported?
Front loaded cabs are usually sealed even better than a "regular" guitar cab so I don't think there's a big difference. This may not be scientifically correct but I think when speakers are front-loaded they have a slightly different character to them. They're being advertised as "not being so beamy but spreading the sound better" which I haven't really noticed but there are some things in the mids that I feel are a bit different. Like around 1500hz there's a peak resonance sometimes but not always. I've only had about 6 front loaded cabs at the studio so it's hard to say.

Ported... I've only had bass cabs that are ported so I'm not entirely sure. I tend to much prefer closed back vs open back so punching a hole in a cabinet doesn't sound like a solution to me but I may be wrong. Again, no experience of 4x12s that are ported I think. Someone once said that it's similar to punching a hole in an acoustic guitar, as in it only messes with the focus of the cab. I don't have an opinion on it because I want to study things before forming an opinion. :)

Back
Top Bottom