ML Freeman Cab Pack | Based on a Friedman 4x12 with Greenbacks and V30s

ML SOUND LAB

Cab Pack Wizard
Vendor
Official info: https://ml-sound-lab.com/products/freeman-cab-pack

It was years ago when I started a poll about what Cab Packs you want me to make and the Friedman 4x12 was one of the top wishes. Sorry it took so long but boy was it worth the wait. I'm not much of a hype person but I'll say - this Cab Pack is what the Friedman amp sims are to the Axe-Fx. You simply don't have to tweak at all. Is it science? Is is the magic of blending Greenbacks and V30s? What ever it is the low end is very precise and in control and the high end has that awesome bite all the way up to that 3-4khz area but none of that nasty sizzle. The cab itself reminds me of the Mesa Traditional cabinet with it's middle frequency emphasis. This is not about the huge low end but this is all about the sweet sounding mids.

I'll be posting more clips here once they arrive and feel free to ask me any questions!

Last edited:
Is it good for classical Blackmore tones?
That's very specific. The Greenbacks in the same cab with a V30 does actually have a darker character to it or that's how I feel at least. I was surprised to notice that the Greenback was darker than the V30 in this cab. So I would say especially the Greenback section can do those tones. Maybe if I was going for those vintage tones I'd start with the Mars Silver Cab Pack or the Legends pack. :)

Sounds great
Are these new greens and V30
Or some older speakers 90s
This is a stock Friedman cab. These newer cabs go through an overnight wear in process to get rid of the notorious speaker dome stiffness. I feel like it gets rid of the high end resonant peaks and the low end is more rounded after the process.

Just purchased. Can't wait to try it out. What mics and what not does the included mixes consist of? Some description in the included PDF would be great.

Last edited:
Just purchased. Can't wait to try it out. What mics and what not does the included mixes consist of? Some description in the included PDF would be great.
There's been some talk about this with other packs as well. I do the mixes in real life so I have all the mics plugged in simultaneously and I start to sculpt the sound. In the end there may be multiple mics in the mixes but usually it's built around 1-3 main mics. With that being said it's really hard to describe "what the mixes are" and the name lengths for IR's will make it impossible. F.ex. someone asked me for the 57-121 mix for the Mars Silver pack. The Appetite mix has both of those mics as main mics but I wouldn't say that it's "that mix" 100%. I'll be that boring guy who says "trust your ears", all the mixes sounds really good if they made it this far. :) That being said the Freeze mix is purely on Greenbacks and Freemason only has a little bit of V30 in it. Have fun!

I like the formula. Not thousands of IR. Separate mics to create mixes and your good sounding « with your ears-not your eyes » mixes (the names....:rolleyes:)...

I like the formula. Not thousands of IR. Separate mics to create mixes and your good sounding « with your ears-not your eyes » mixes (the names....:rolleyes:)...
That's the thought process I went through. The way I did things before 2019 was to actually use all mic combinations and shoot about 300 mixer per mic combination and then the packs would have a huge number of IR's that based on the feedback no one ever went through completely. I believe what I'm doing now is much wiser where I won't shoot mic combinations that just aren't good enough for the pack. Having all mics running simultaneously is where I know what the best sound will be and the number of IR's will stay at a usable amount. This is one of the most difficult parts in making an IR collection really, you need to decide between usability and versatility and I believe I've managed to fine tune that to be optimal. :)

Just picked this up the other day and today had a chance to sit with it for a while. What a great pack!
Really liking the Freedom mix. They sound good no matter what you throw in front of them. I tested your HBE on default setup to see if I got the same results, but I swapped it for the 2018 C45, same results, just a great tone right out of the gate. Just dropped the freedom mix into my atomica preset which was using some of the Mega Oversized IR's and again it just sounded great with zero tweaking of the preset.

I have to say, although I do like the premise of selecting your IR with your ears not your eyes, I still would love to know what these mixes are made up of.

Just picked this up the other day and today had a chance to sit with it for a while. What a great pack!
Really liking the Freedom mix. They sound good no matter what you throw in front of them. I tested your HBE on default setup to see if I got the same results, but I swapped it for the 2018 C45, same results, just a great tone right out of the gate. Just dropped the freedom mix into my atomica preset which was using some of the Mega Oversized IR's and again it just sounded great with zero tweaking of the preset.

I have to say, although I do like the premise of selecting your IR with your ears not your eyes, I still would love to know what these mixes are made up of.
That's amazing feedback! I personally prefer the C45 with single coil guitars and the regular one with humbuckers. I just feel like the C45 emphasizes that single coil "whiplash" character. Not sure if anyone understands what I mean with that but I'll go with it. :)

I think I will have to start creating an info sheet in the readme that discusses the mix processes since so many of you are interested in it. I feel like my job is to come up with the best mixes possible... I just hope people are okay with it not being 57-121 for every pack. :p

Hey guys I'm in need of some assistance. I plan to continue creating packs that you're interested in so we made this SURVEY: https://mlsoundlab.typeform.com/to/fXqSIY

Please answer all questions and submit your answers. After submitting your answers you will receive 5€ of ML Sound Lab store credit as a thank you. We're only taking a limited amount of survey entries and this will end once that cap is full so be quick.

Thanks for helping me help you! :)

Chiming in to thank you for the feedback. This survey has brought me so much more clarity and looks like bass players need some love "soon". ;) You still have a couple of days time to submit your requests and I extended the store credit for that time. Thank you guys! Here's the post I'm referring to just in case:

Hey guys I'm in need of some assistance. I plan to continue creating packs that you're interested in so we made this SURVEY: https://mlsoundlab.typeform.com/to/fXqSIY

Please answer all questions and submit your answers. After submitting your answers you will receive 5€ of ML Sound Lab store credit as a thank you. We're only taking a limited amount of survey entries and this will end once that cap is full so be quick.

Thanks for helping me help you! :)

I just buy the OVERSIZE cab and sound amazing ... Any tips to play with a special amp?
Cheers.
Hi! That pack is really good with just about everything. Probably the new JP amp would be my suggestion if you're an Axe-Fx III user. :D I use the IIC++ myself but it requires a lot of tweaking. Friedman HBE 2018 will sound amazing straight out of the box.

Back
Top Bottom