ML Dizzy: The fattest and meanest Cab Pack yet

Okay guys FINALLY I'm finished with the single mic shoot. It was a bit harder this time as the K100 are notorious for being a "PITA" to mic up but with my robot it was a breeze. Here's a clip with an SM57 and MD421 on the bottom right speaker of the cabinet.

this. very this.

Damn! Sounds awesome, ML. I'm impressed.
I'm so glad to hear that! I'm equally impressed. I was kind of taken back with the first clips and tests but now that I spent some time with the cab I'm very happy. It's really hard to mic up a K100. Honestly I think I shot around 60 IR's of the first speaker with the SM57 and maybe 5 of them were IMO up to par. The good part in this is that I have clear "ace" IR's already. There's not a huge variety to choose from. :D

There's a possibility of me getting another Dizzy cab with V30s in it. If I get that cabinet and shoot it would you want the Dizzy pack to be a bundle including these two cabinets or have them released separately? Bundle price will be noticably lower than getting the two packs separately.

Getting them as a bundle would be cool, but I'll have to pick up both either way. It's awesome that you have both of these Diezel cabs - they're exactly the two I would buy. Until recently I had the rear-loaded Diezel V30 cab, and I always wanted to add the front-loaded K100 counterpart. From the sound of your clips here, I think I'm even more sad now that I never got one. :p

Hey thank you guys for the support and nice words! I'm still shooting the initial IR's but this is my priority #1 right now. It will most likely take a month or so for the release of this.

Meanwhile let's enjoy the clips! Here's one that I just recorded using the VH4 channel 3 amp sim:

Turns out the Dizzy K100 is also capable of sounding sweet and fat:

Today will be a huge studio day. I should be closing the K100 chapter IR shoot wise. However... that may not be the end of the Dizzy pack yet. ;)

Clark -

Why do you always demo the cabs with a metal via? That kinda sucks for the rest of us that may not be metal players.
The clips in this thread have been more about what you'd expect from a Dizzy but I definitely don't emphasize a specific genre when making IR's. The clip I just posted above was brit rock IMO. :) I'm actually not even a metal player myself.

I just finished shooting the K100 cab and started the single mics for another Diezel V30 cabinet. :) This is getting crazy exciting and the tones are really good.

Check this out:

That's the K100 first, V30 second and in the end I blended them both together and that's definitely some of my best work yet. :) I'm so happy with how it sounds.

I just finished shooting the K100 cab and started the single mics for another Diezel V30 cabinet. :) This is getting crazy exciting and the tones are really good.

Check this out:

That's the K100 first, V30 second and in the end I blended them both together and that's definitely some of my best work yet. :) I'm so happy with how it sounds.

i love the way you did this clip using different gain settings. i think this approach will be more helpful to a wider audience. some cab's typically used for metal can also shine in other genre's and vice versa. nice work!!

i love the way you did this clip using different gain settings. i think this approach will be more helpful to a wider audience. some cab's typically used for metal can also shine in other genre's and vice versa. nice work!!
Thank you Brian. :)

Actually it's my new Les Paul with different pickup configurations and the same amount of gain. I love playing with the dynamics of the Axe-Fx. Just like a real tube amp and all that.

Agree. The amount of control we have with the Axefx and a guitars volume knob is great. My main gigging guitars are a Les Paul and a Tele with a piezo bridge. Your LP sounds great! But you got my point about recording clips showing what these cab ir's sound like with varying degrees of gain/dynamics. Rock on brother!

ALL ML DIZZY IR'S HAVE NOW BEEN SHOT!

So from now on it's up to "soon" which means turning 1663 IR's into something a bit less and easier to use and the testing and testing some more.

I have to say this: If you know me you've most likely heard me say time and time again that I haven't changed anything in my shooting methods since day one. That is still true but I'm always searching for ways to make the shoot more efficient so this time I tried a new mic technique that should essentially help me find the sweetspots a lot quicker and faster. Mic placement is exactly the same but I'm a lot more concious of what every speaker sounds like before placing the mics. This idea rose from me miking a cabinet that I'm really familiar with and realizing how awesome it would be if I had that knowledge for every cab prior to shooting. That would save me so much time right? So what I did was run my mic robot scanning through the cabinet and making notes about how every speaker sounded on which side etc. On the cab side of things that means that I have to mark down some spots which is normal but I've noticed that using tape drastically changes the tone of your cabinet. Every time I see one of those cabinets that have microphone positions marked with tape I mentally face palm. Anyways I used chalk instead and it doesn't affect the sound at all so this is what things looked like for me after just using an SM57:

DZ%20sweetspotstt.jpg

Long story short this was definitely one of the most successful IR shoots I've ever done so I'm going to start using this new trick from now on forward. It's really worth the trouble of getting to know the cabinet and it's strengths and weaknesses prior to shooting any IR's. This way you'll spend a little time beforehand but save a lot of time when doing Alloys at least since that's always a sum of two mics put together so I have to be very conscious of what's happening. :)

Here's a brand new riff idea I'm working on with the ML Dizzy V30 Alloy IR's:

Check this out:

For this clip, I think that the blended section works great. The K100 by itself sounded a bit fizzy, the V30 sounded a little more rounder on the top-end, but blended is just perfect. Great job!

For this clip, I think that the blended section works great. The K100 by itself sounded a bit fizzy, the V30 sounded a little more rounder on the top-end, but blended is just perfect. Great job!
That's my feeling exactly. We're so used to hearing the V30 that the K100 almost sounds weird but once you hear the K100 and V30 together that's when the magic happens. :)

Okay so here's the current state of things. All IR's have been shot for both the ML Dizzy V30 and ML Dizzy K100. Final single mic IR's have been chosen and single mic Aces have been chosen as well. Now it's time to choose the best Alloys from the sea of literally over a thousand IR's. It's going to be fun but ear fatiguing to say the least. :)

I've shared some of the IR's with close buddies for testing out if they work properly and boy do they sound awesome. Check this thread for the latest clip by my buddy Ari: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threa...-fw-2-04-clearing-off-the-spider-webs.113205/

Back
Top Bottom