ML Dizzy: The fattest and meanest Cab Pack yet

Hi,
thanks for your answer.
I still have this very cab at home and I always felt a "thing" going on around 92hz. I was putting a sine wave through the cab abd thats where you could feel her, but at the same time I know it could've been my room too so... but 83hz plus 10% (in a sealed box) would be around 92 so that would make sense actually. One more question tho (Remembering Peter Falk): There's talk about speaker resonance and cab resonance right? Is that basically the same? Or, f.ex., if one had a cab with an X-Pattern with both speakers, k100s and v30, what does that mean for cab resonance (in case cab resonance differs from speaker resonance)? I am just asking out of curiosity and to understand, I'll use my ears turning knobs, I promise!

Thanks again for the answer,

Chris
Well for "realism" using ears is actually not recommended because in real life it's usually not a pleasant frequency. If you're experiencing a bad resonance that might just be realism. But much like Cliff said in his notes, to get an accurate measurement you would need to measure it from your cabinet. Cabinet resonance is something else which in most cases is something that "I believe to be a bad thing" and good cabinets are intentionally designed so that they resonate inbetween notes so you're not getting a huge volume boost on specific notes. F.ex. a Mesa 4x12 have all the resonant frequencies for all dimensions so that they never hit any note in 440hz tuning. I don't know if this is intentional or not but because it's Mesa I think it might be intentional.

What you can do is enter your cab's dimensions here: http://www.mh-audio.nl/standingwaveinbox/calculator.asp and then look at those frequencies on this chart http://pages.mtu.edu/~suits/notefreqs.html and you'll see if there are some resonances that mess things up for you. Remember to enter the inside dimensions of the enclosure.

Hi,
thanx again!
I was refering to Cliff saying "use your ears to see what sounds good" on the Low Res Freq button, i.e. when your playing in 'E' one might set it to 82hz.
Thanks for clearing up the difference between speaker and cab resonance, that makes sense now.

As for the frequency I was experiencing, I felt the cab vibrating at about 92hz so I derived that maybe this was the low res freq. Thanks for the links as well.

On a different note, I was shooting IRs of my cab for a long time and, if I compare them to yours, I can definitely see the similarity but I had to understand that room treatment is a big factor as well. So while I immediately recognized "my" cab in your IRs I could also immediately tell the difference. One never stops learning. Cool Thing.

Thank you again for your answers and have a good day.

c

Back
Top Bottom