ML Cab Packs Question

mr_fender

Axe-Master
I've been using factory cabs almost exclusively for quite a while now and would like to start getting more into user cabs. The ML factory cabs have become many of my go to cabs. What mic configurations are generally included in the ML cab packs? I see from the descriptions on the Fractal site that they include IRs from multiple speakers from each cab and using different mics, but what about things like on axis, off axis, mic position along the cone, distance from the cone, etc.? Just wondering what options to expect before throwing down the cash.

I just bought CabPack 7. Here is the description given by ML:

"Cab Pack 7 features one speaker cab: the CK USA Trad 4x12, based on a Mesa™ 4x12 Recto® Traditional Straight Cab.
Microphones used include:
Shure™ SM57
Royer™ R121
Sennheiser™ e906
Sennheiser™ MD421
Each microphone was used on each speaker of the cabinet. They were positioned in a variety of locations, listening and measuring to
find "sweet spots". Different speakers are marked with letters A (bottom left speaker), B (bottom right speaker), C (top right
speaker) and D (top left speaker). The numbers mentioned after the letters describe different variations of the mic position. The
Alloy folder includes mixed IRs with real life phase that we are used to hearing when using multiple microphones on a real guitar
cabinet. The Ace folder includes our personal picks of the best material in this collection.
This Cab Pack was produced and engineered by Mikko Logrén."

As i look in the folders i see that there is 4 different versions of 'sweet spots' by speaker ( A1, A2, ... , D3, D4) but they are not identified as what they are ( on axis, off axis, centered, edge, whatever). But i can sure say that it really is a good purchase. The sound of this cab is amazing and fits perfectly with my musical tastes and sounds of choice.

Thank you @sialtam for helping out!

The mics are SM57, E906, MD421, R121 and recently the M160 was also added to the packs. Some packs have the M160 and some don't depending on if the IR's were shot before I got the M160 mic.

Like Sialtam said there are usually 4 variations of sweetspots per mic per speaker. All of this can sometimes change depending on the actual cab as every cabinet gets a different treatment as is required. Anyways that means a 4x12 pack will have 16 different sounding mic positions per mic and the variety will be way more usable and way more versatile than giving the same amount of options by moving the microphone on the same single speaker which used to be the standard. Placing mics with your eyes is not IMO the way mic positioning is done correctly. It's makes just as much sense as closing your eyes and drawing just by using your hearing as the reference point. :) Some mic positions are darker and some are brighter but usually the SM57 positions are all somewhere inbetween cap edge and cone. Also the distance varies depending on the cabinet and how the grill reacts to the microphone placement. It's all work that I've done for you guys. I sometimes shoot way over a 100 IR's per mic per speaker and then I narrow it down to something that's easy to use.

The packs are separated in different folders for different types of users. There's an Ace folder that has my personal picks of the best IR's in the pack and that's usually small and contains about 20 IR's. Then I have the single mic folders that include around 16 IR's per mic for those who really want to dial in the mic position. However my signature thing is the Alloy folders which are essentially two mics blended in together in real life which adds a certain phase realism to the guitar sound. Also the Alloy IR's have been placed specifically to work together which is a completely different type of mic placement technique than the one used for making single mic positions work.

I could write endlessly about the IR's as it is my life's work so please let me know if you want to hear more. :) Still I think the best way is for you to try them out. If you're already preferring the stock IR's I made I'm pretty confident you'll love the packs you get as well.

The alloy ace folder itself is worth the price of the whole cabpack IMO. I have 13 and 19 and am so happy i bought them. Thanks Mikko for the good work!
Thank you so much Reet. :) I'm lucky and blessed that the majority of feedback I get is just like this. This made my day once again.

I have to admit that I've toyed with the idea of only releasing the Ace folder in some packs but I'm already cutting 60-80% of the IR's I shoot out so it's good to have versatility in the packs as well.

BTW...

Mikko - are you considering to include Neumanns U67/U87 in your microphones list by any chance? :rolleyes:
That's a good question. Of course I've considered it. The sad fact about those mics is that apart from them costing around $20.000-30.000 there's no consistancy in their sound nor is there a guarantee to find one in good condition. I would hate to use a clone. I don't think anyone is interested in some random mics that supposedly sound the same. We all know every mic reacts differently in front of their source so there is no replacement. Even if I found a mic that I preferred to a Neumann it would still be my opinion and not what people want.

Back
Top Bottom