ML Cab Pack 23 Citrus 2x12 - heavy fuzz rock/almost industrial

shaunb

Experienced

With the release of Cab Pack 23 I thought I'd tweak the mix of this recording and try some post production/mastering. I don't have any background in this area, so I just played around a bit to see what I could come up with.

Got some new toys to play with here. The Electronic EZX for EZDrummer in conjunction with the Metal Machine EZX. And the new Cab Pack 23: USA + Citrus 2x12 from ML Sound Lab.

The cab in this song is the Citrus 2x12 and I'm using mostly R121 single mic IRs.
The amp is my Brit Pre with Fryette tonestack preset and a Bender Fuzz in front. Then there are a heap of variations with some Octave Fuzz, octave down harmonizer and a straight up Brit Pre with no fuzz.

I don't have a definitive preset as I was tweaking on the fly and using two different presets.

Last edited:
This definitely took this forum to the space age. :eek:

It's not hard to imagine Matt Bellamy's driven falsetto on top of that. Very Muse-esque for me at last. I love how the bass is control of the mix all the time and doesn't let go.

How did you do that intro noise sound? I love that effect.

The low rumble is a broken string lol.
I busted it while playing around after tracking everything and thought it might actually sound cool at the start with the electro drums and fuzz guitars. Ended up extending the intro by a couple of bars to make room for it.

I maxed the gain on the bender fuzz and I think I might have put some chorus on as well. Then I was just tapping the back of the neck to get the strings to resonate and interplay in a weird noisy way.

I'm actually really glad the string broke, I really like how it fits in the intro.
Only the second broken string on the guitar ever and I've had her since 2001.

It's definitely my favorite sound clip from you !, the guitar tone is rad this music reminded me some action Film like ''Mission Impossible'', ''Mad Max'', also it's awesome for TV games like ''God Of War'',
''Need For Speed''... etc, CONGRATULATIONS ! :)

Nice tones and cool track, sounds like another great cab pack's on the way, gotta still grab the AC pack, though mostly tracking bass at the moment (the ML SV 4-10's have really helped a ton in that).

Man, that sounds fantastic. I'd love to see what those settings look like in some more detail :)

Gnarly, gnarly bass tone, too. Just wonderful.
Cheers Asher.
Do you have an XL? I could cobble together the preset for you.
If not I'll transcribe it.

I was pretty happy with the bass this time too.
I tend to struggle to dial in what I want.
It's the Citrus bass amp with a rat drive.
Then into Bass Mix 1 and Subkick D if I recall correctly from Cab Pack 11.
I record in stereo tracking each IR to its own channel in Cubase then add a distortion plugin called Da Tube to Bass Mix 1 for more dirt.

Then a little post eq and blend the two IRs slightly left and right of center and that's what I ended up with.

I like this approach. Sounds cool and gives you options.

Last edited:
It's definitely my favorite sound clip from you !, the guitar tone is rad this music reminded me some action Film like ''Mission Impossible'', ''Mad Max'', also it's awesome for TV games like ''God Of War'',
''Need For Speed''... etc, CONGRATULATIONS ! :)
Thanks mate.
I'm looking forward to your next work of art.

Nice tones and cool track, sounds like another great cab pack's on the way, gotta still grab the AC pack, though mostly tracking bass at the moment (the ML SV 4-10's have really helped a ton in that).
Thanks mate.
Yeah, This pack looks like a winner, I'm finding heaps of great tones. Really different character from each cab, so the options and versatility are excellent.

The bass is possibly my favourite part of this song. Really good fun.
See above if you are interested in the blend of the two IRs from the ML pack.

I need to do some more with the AC pack as well. I enjoyed playing around with that one.

Here we go.
This is my main rhythm tone, all other tracks in the song I tweaked from this but didn't save.

Amp: Brit Pre.
Change the tonestack to Freyer D60 and change the Tone Freq setting to 661.8 in the preamp tab.
My settings are:
Input Drive 1.61
Bass 8.24
Mid 5
Treb 8.11
Presence 3.54
Master Vol 4
Level -9

Drive Block: Bender Fuzz
Drive 3.52
Tone 5
Level 7.25

Cab is part of the new ML 2x12 pack coming out soon.
I used ML Citrus 2x12 R121 B1 on the left side of the mix, the recorded the right side with the same preset but changed the cab to ML Citrus 2x12 R121 B2.

Hopefully this is of some help.

Last edited:
Really cool tone! Reminded me about 2000's a lot haha! Nostalgic. You do it always so good that it doesn't even try to be cool, because it genuinely is. :)

Back
Top Bottom