ML Cab Pack 20: Numero Uno

ML SOUND LAB

Cab Pack Wizard
Vendor

The rumor has it I'm back. :) To those who don't know I haven't really seen my Axe-Fx in 5 months and some time away gives you a completely different mindset. First of all I really love how single SM57 IR's sound now. I don't know if it's that I don't have my home studio setup yet and I have to mix on my headphones but I used to be a strictly Alloy IR dude but now that I have my ears literally reset I felt like some of the mixes and sounds I had created before were a little bit on the dark side to what my new neutral ears were hearing when tweaking the Axe-Fx. (It could have something to do with old strings on my guitar though.) I haven't even had the chance to dive into Q2 that much but I love the new Satriani amp sims. I haven't had to tweak a whole lot. Another difference is that for some reason all the riffs I write are a bit happier than I used to do. Maybe that's a reflection of myself or something. :)

When I was gone FAS released two Cab Packs of mine and I haven't had a chance to demo them for you guys a whole lot. In this clip I used "pre-Rola" IR's from Cab Pack 20: http://shop.fractalaudio.com/Cab_Pack_20_ML_Brit_4x12_Collection_p/fas-801-0020.htm

ML Brit PR55 SM57 A1 on the left side.
ML Brit PR75 SM57 B1 on the right side.

That combo really works great together. I suggest everyone with Cab Pack 20 to try it out. :)

So don't worry. I'm back. I'm working on 5-7 different new packs and they'll be out "not so soon" but I promise they'll be worth it. I love being back and FAS rocks! :)

Sounds really good, Mikko! And you can still play guitar very well!:D

Honestly - I don´t like the Stockcabs in the Axe Brit 55 and 75 with the M160 - fo fat, to much bass, not aggressive.

But This SM 57 IR´s sound really good!

Sounds really good, Mikko! And you can still play guitar very well!:D

Honestly - I don´t like the Stockcabs in the Axe Brit 55 and 75 with the M160 - fo fat, to much bass, not aggressive.

But This SM 57 IR´s sound really good!
Well thank you Hubi! I must admit I was afraid at first but muscle memory picks up surprisingly fast. I won't be posting huge shred clips soon I think. :D

And I also don't use the M160, R121 nor MD421 on their own. They are IMO amazing blend mics. The SM57 is the industry standard and in no way flat but it's the way recorded guitar has always sounded. If I want it to be super fat I blend in a R121. If it's too boomy I blend in a M160. If I still feel like I want more "something" but don't want to mess with the brightness that's when I blend the MD421 in. The E906 is IMO a good dynamic mic that's capable of doing the SM57 thing if you don't like the SM57. But that's like saying I don't like single malt whiskey I'd rather have Jack Daniels so it's not going to be me. :)

Maybe another Thread - but I think a stockcab should be one of the best from a cab pack ! Also as a good promotion for all the Axe-User!
I don´t know why FAS doesn´t change it -also the old Redwirez IR´s.......it could be much better..........

How many positions did you shot with the SM 57 at every speaker?

Maybe another Thread - but I think a stockcab should be one of the best from a cab pack ! Also as a good promotion for all the Axe-User!
I don´t know why FAS doesn´t change it -also the old Redwirez IR´s.......it could be much better..........

How many positions did you shot with the SM 57 at every speaker?
It's not completely up to me what becomes a stock IR. At the time I would've most likely put some alloy IR's in there. :) I myself use the stock IR's from CP7 and CP8 in the unit. I haven't tried the CP20 stock IR's yet. :)

I'm mostly known as a prog/metal guy BUT I gotta tell ya that ML Cab Pack 20 is the reason why I started playing Marshalls and became addicted to them.
Marshalls never sounded that good to me, and now they became one of my favourite amps/cabs!

Authentic, Organic, fresh tone is the words that came to my mind each time I'm listening to your sound clips :), I loved your groove and melody behind that, your right hand dead notes movements reminded me James Hetfield touch so Powerful N Tight, how do you play like this after 6 month not playing the guitar !!?, I really love this Marshall IRs City

Last edited:
Sounds amazing!! HBE amp? Pan ir's hard left and right?

The rumor has it I'm back. :) To those who don't know I haven't really seen my Axe-Fx in 5 months and some time away gives you a completely different mindset. First of all I really love how single SM57 IR's sound now. I don't know if it's that I don't have my home studio setup yet and I have to mix on my headphones but I used to be a strictly Alloy IR dude but now that I have my ears literally reset I felt like some of the mixes and sounds I had created before were a little bit on the dark side to what my new neutral ears were hearing when tweaking the Axe-Fx. (It could have something to do with old strings on my guitar though.) I haven't even had the chance to dive into Q2 that much but I love the new Satriani amp sims. I haven't had to tweak a whole lot. Another difference is that for some reason all the riffs I write are a bit happier than I used to do. Maybe that's a reflection of myself or something. :)

When I was gone FAS released two Cab Packs of mine and I haven't had a chance to demo them for you guys a whole lot. In this clip I used "pre-Rola" IR's from Cab Pack 20: http://shop.fractalaudio.com/Cab_Pack_20_ML_Brit_4x12_Collection_p/fas-801-0020.htm

ML Brit PR55 SM57 A1 on the left side.
ML Brit PR75 SM57 B1 on the right side.

That combo really works great together. I suggest everyone with Cab Pack 20 to try it out. :)

So don't worry. I'm back. I'm working on 5-7 different new packs and they'll be out "not so soon" but I promise they'll be worth it. I love being back and FAS rocks! :)

Well thank you Hubi! I must admit I was afraid at first but muscle memory picks up surprisingly fast. I won't be posting huge shred clips soon I think. :D

And I also don't use the M160, R121 nor MD421 on their own. They are IMO amazing blend mics. The SM57 is the industry standard and in no way flat but it's the way recorded guitar has always sounded. If I want it to be super fat I blend in a R121. If it's too boomy I blend in a M160. If I still feel like I want more "something" but don't want to mess with the brightness that's when I blend the MD421 in. The E906 is IMO a good dynamic mic that's capable of doing the SM57 thing if you don't like the SM57. But that's like saying I don't like single malt whiskey I'd rather have Jack Daniels so it's not going to be me. :)
I agree on the mic choice. I like the 57 either alone or MAYBE with some other mic..
A 57 just sounds right imho... And that may be the reason the industry never stopped using it.

Glad you are hip to the SM57. It is a classic for a reason. It is easily my favorite mic. I will usually blend in a second to add some depth/flavor but if I only get one? No contest.

I find a strong majority of the IRs in the stock set too dark, FWIW. I out this down to personal pref though, no right or wrong.

How would you recommend running those cabs if running mono out to the mixing board? Panned center stereo cab mixed 50/50?
If you're running your rig mono I suggest panning everything center. Stereo mode probably depends a bit but I mostly pan things 100% hard LR or center. It's kind of a rule you hear from some of the top audio engineers in the business like Chris Lord Alge. :)

Back
Top Bottom