ML Cab Pack 19 Alloy Ace Showcase - Bulb Angle Citrus

shaunb

Experienced
Hi guys and gals.
Here is a comparison of the Alloy Ace IRs included in Cab Pack 19 coming out soon to give you a sneak peek at how they sound.

I tried to write a couple of short pieces of music incorporating sections of single notes, chords and a little big of chugga chugga to cover a few bases I look for in rock/metal (though I'm more of a rock guy).
Obviously these IRs will djent, but here is what I do with them to offer a different point of view.

These recordings utilise a noise gate, amp and cab blocks.
No drive or effect blocks and no post processing were used.

Order of IRs (same order on both clips).
SM57-MD421 01
SM57-M160 01
SM57-R121 01
E906-MD421 01
SM57-SM57 01
SM57-E906 01

Friedman HBE with the Citrus Bulb cab

Angle Severe 1 with the Angle Bulb cab

I hope this helps anyone who wants to get an idea of what this pack sounds like.
Feel free to shoot me any questions.

Thanks again to Mikko for letting me have some fun with this pack in the lead up to it's release.

Shaun thank you for creating these clips! Once again it goes without saying that these guitars sound phenomenal but this is maybe even more than just a CP19 clip. This shows us how capable the Alloy Aces are. They all sound clearly different yet they're all capable of sitting in a mix (IMO) in a very professional way and the fact that it's all unprocessed just makes the clip even more truthful to everyone interested.

Thank you once again Shaun! I appreciate this and thanks again for making me look really good. :)

Your Orange clip totally sounds like something that would be on a 311 album! The Engle cab does sound pretty sweet too. It has a thrash metal sound to it. I dont know what it is about the sm57-md421 but that IR sounds sooo good in all cab packs!
The Angle cab is actually the closest thing to Cab Pack 7 I've shot until now. It's going to be my go-to for anything mean and metal sounding for sure.

I take my SM57-MD421 IR's very seriously. It's the mic combination I would use myself so I've fine tuned a special technique for it that really seems to work well. For me it's usually SM57-MD421 or SM57-R121 but the recent addition SM57-M160 has been surprisingly good as well.

You'll love these Lucas I'm sure of it! :)

Last edited:
Your Orange clip totally sounds like something that would be on a 311 album! The Engle cab does sound pretty sweet too. It has a thrash metal sound to it. I dont know what it is about the sm57-md421 but that IR sounds sooo good in all cab packs!

Yeah, the SM57-MD421 IRs are always really good to work with, it's always the first IR I try with a new pack and it tells you a lot about the whole pack. That's basically why I put it first in these clips to act as a bit of a benchmark.

I had a lot of fun with the Angle cab. I've always struggled with the Severe models but it pairs up really well with this cab.
The Citrus is more my usual thing but I can see myself using both cabs a lot.

Shaun thank you for creating these clips! Once again it goes without saying that these guitars sound phenomenal but this is maybe even more than just a CP19 clip. This shows us how capable the Alloy Aces are. They all sound clearly different yet they're all capable of sitting in a mix (IMO) in a very professional way and the fact that it's all unprocessed just makes the clip even more truthful to everyone interested.

Thank you once again Shaun! I appreciate this and thanks again for making me look really good. :)

The Angle cab is actually the closest thing to Cab Pack 7 I've shot until now. It's going to be my go-to for anything mean and metal sounding for sure.

I take my SM57-MD421 IR's very seriously. It's the mic combination I would use myself so I've fine tuned a special technique for it that really seems to work well. For me it's usually SM57-MD421 or SM57-R121 but the recent addition SM57-M160 has been surprisingly good as well.

You'll love these Lucas I'm sure of it! :)

My pleasure Mikko.
I'm the same, I'd say around 70-80% of the time I've used SM57-MD421 and SM57-R121 on the other occasions.
But the SM57-M160 is up there as equal favourite with the SM57-MD421, I used it for my Milquetoast cover for something different and loved it.
Even when I was auditioning the IRs for the first time I went through the Ace folder and the Citrus SM57-160 01 grabbed my attention straight away.
I knew in 3 seconds that I was going use this IR a lot.

I may be showing my age with this next comment, but I'm more of a Steve Morse fan than a progressive metal fan. He uses Engl heads & cabs so between the Quantum firmware and these Engl irs, I'm hoping to nail his tone.
This cab was actually sitting under a Steve Morse signature Engl head when I first got it. :) I assume it's the cab he uses.

Back
Top Bottom