ML Bulb Cab Pack 13 - Killswitch Engage "Eye of the Storm"

harsh

Inspired
Hey guys, I've tried to dial in one of my favourite guitar tones ever, which is on KSE's "As Daylight Dies". I believe it's a mix of the Soldano SLO and the Mesa Triple Recto, both boosted via a Maxon OD808. I've just used a OD808 boosted 5153 Blue into one of the sims on the ML Bulb Cab pack 13. I've had to do a fair bit of post processing to get in the tone ballpark using subtractive EQ, saturation etc. Anyway..what are your thoughts on this tone, and mix as a whole?

I think you nailed the KSE tone! IT sounds great! As for the mix, you need to compress your drums some more. The snare really needs it. The drums as a whole feel loose if that makes any sense. Might also wanna put a high boost on your master fader to make the whole mix a little brighter too, which would help the overal mix.

Hey guys, I've tried to dial in one of my favourite guitar tones ever, which is on KSE's "As Daylight Dies". I believe it's a mix of the Soldano SLO and the Mesa Triple Recto, both boosted via a Maxon OD808. I've just used a OD808 boosted 5153 Blue into one of the sims on the ML Bulb Cab pack 13. I've had to do a fair bit of post processing to get in the tone ballpark using subtractive EQ, saturation etc. Anyway..what are your thoughts on this tone, and mix as a whole?

I think you nailed the KSE tone! IT sounds great! As for the mix, you need to compress your drums some more. The snare really needs it. The drums as a whole feel loose if that makes any sense. Might also wanna put a high boost on your master fader to make the whole mix a little brighter too, which would help the overal mix.

Hey mate. Agreed, the drums in this mix poke out a bit. Matter of fact, I did another mix before, and my initial mix had better drums, but I thought they could be punchier. In hindsight, that mix is probaby better. Tell me if you agree:

Wow! Super dead on. Curious, What saturation plugin did you use? I never think to use saturation on guitars

Hey dude. Try the Fabfilter Saturn. You can create frequency spectrums and focus on the ones you want to saturate. Actual frequencies will depend on your source tone, so there's no set rules to this. Also, tape saturation is a pretty common practice in mixing.

Hey dude. Try the Fabfilter Saturn. You can create frequency spectrums and focus on the ones you want to saturate. Actual frequencies will depend on your source tone, so there's no set rules to this. Also, tape saturation is a pretty common practice in mixing.
I'll definitely check out the Saturn. I love using the tape for slightly taming the highs on guitars, perfect for that! Thank u for the tips!

As an old Killswitch fan I absolutely got goosebumps when your guitar started. Fantastic job dude! Like others said, you just need a bit drum processing. Drums from their albums are kind of more dry and natural, if that makes sense lol.
Anyways, great job :D

As an old Killswitch fan I absolutely got goosebumps when your guitar started. Fantastic job dude! Like others said, you just need a bit drum processing. Drums from their albums are kind of more dry and natural, if that makes sense lol.
Anyways, great job :D

Haha, I'm a diehard Killswitch fan too, I just cant get over them! I think I had a good mix, and I neglected the drums by finalising in a hurry once I thought I had the guitars nailed. Oh well, live and learn :)! Thanks for the awesome comment, put a smile on my face.

Goes without saying.. that sounds ridiculously good man. KsE actually have surprisingly lot of low cut in their guitar tone. :)

Nice!! But which IR? ;)

Back
Top Bottom