ML Brit Collection: The Mothership!

I'm having wet dreams of mixing Citrus with PR75 right about now. ;)

Oh man were you right about mixing those two! I did an equal mix of the Citrus Butter with PR75 E906-MD421 07 and it sounds even better then with the HW. I was getting a nice "thump" from palm muted low notes with the HW/Citrus mix that is more like a "thud" now with the PR75.

Edit: Mixed all 3 together and it got even better.... :D

Last edited:
I just picked this pack up yesterday and I must say I'm very pleased with it.
My go to IR was a OH V30 with a R121.
So of course the combinations with the R121 were the first I tried.
The way the IR's are organized is a a big help.
I like the Alloys and it's easy to go through them.
i set up a looper in front of an amp & cab and let it play.
I load the cabs at the end of the cab list and go through the bunch, picking out my favourites and dropping them in a folder on my computer.
I then erase the ones on the Axe-fx, and load the ones I picked out in the front of the list on the Axe-Fx.
As I was trying different combinations of amps & cabs, I discovered the PR75 with a SM57 & M160 and I really do like it.
My question is this: why isn't the combination of the Sm57 & M160 used on all cabs?

I just picked this pack up yesterday and I must say I'm very pleased with it.
My go to IR was a OH V30 with a R121.
So of course the combinations with the R121 were the first I tried.
The way the IR's are organized is a a big help.
I like the Alloys and it's easy to go through them.
i set up a looper in front of an amp & cab and let it play.
I load the cabs at the end of the cab list and go through the bunch, picking out my favourites and dropping them in a folder on my computer.
I then erase the ones on the Axe-fx, and load the ones I picked out in the front of the list on the Axe-Fx.
As I was trying different combinations of amps & cabs, I discovered the PR75 with a SM57 & M160 and I really do like it.
My question is this: why isn't the combination of the Sm57 & M160 used on all cabs?
First of all thank you so much MisterE it means a lot coming from you! I'm also glad to hear that you went deeper than the Ace folder. :) The M160 mic got added quite recently to the ML packs so it's sort of a new thing. Shooting the cabs for this pack has taken more than 6 months so the ones that were shot last also have the M160. Cab Pack 18 and 19 also feature the M160 mic.

No, thank you Mikko for these great IR's.
BTW, I know about the M160 in cab pack 19 because I bought that one after playing with cab pack 20.
And I'm looking at your other offerings.
keep up the good work!!
We're working on new songs with our band Ostrogoth and I'm sure I'll be using your IR's on our next recording :)

Anyone got any recommendations for live IRs from this pack, I'm aiming for Slash style tones. I'm loving the PR75 IRs at bedroom level but I'm not sure how they're going to translate to band level. What are people using out there?

Cheers

Spence

Anyone got any recommendations for live IRs from this pack, I'm aiming for Slash style tones. I'm loving the PR75 IRs at bedroom level but I'm not sure how they're going to translate to band level. What are people using out there?

Cheers

Spence
Slash tones are surprisingly trebly. I also prefer to use the PR75 for the Slash tone but a single SM57 might get you closer faster. Essentially there is not a lot of low end or gain.

The IR I use for Slash tones is PR75 SM57-M160 and I really like it. It's a bit smoother than Slash's tone but it has many of the right characters. It will have a lot of bottom end for an 80s rock tone so compensate for that with the amp settings. :)

I'd love to hear a sample so I can help you out. :)

Cheers

Spence

Here is one trick that I like for Slash tone. Put a vol block or null filter in parallel to the cab block and mix some non-cab sound in.

The sound of the amp block without a cab adds just the right amount of snarl to the tone.

Here is one trick that I like for Slash tone. Put a vol block or null filter in parallel to the cab block and mix some non-cab sound in.

The sound of the amp block without a cab adds just the right amount of snarl to the tone.
That's cool! Isn't that similar to the air control in the cab block? :)

That's cool! Isn't that similar to the air control in the cab block? :)

I think you are correct there. I've always used another block but the Air control might give the exact same results.

It gives that splat to the tone, similar to the first VH record. Where there is a distinct splat / fizz to the top end.

I think you are correct there. I've always used another block but the Air control might give the exact same results.

It gives that splat to the tone, similar to the first VH record. Where there is a distinct splat / fizz to the top end.
Yeah it makes things sound more direct right? :)

Thanks guys.

I had a rehearsal yesterday and had the PR75 57/160 01 cab mixed with the stock PR55 ML cab. I had to set it slightly out of phase to round out the highs. I took out a bunch of low end with the HP in the cab block and and also a little on the global EQ. I had the LP filter at 7500hz to try and kill off a bit of the fizz (although some might argue that would work well for a Slash type tone. I'm usually ok getting stuff dialled in at home but as soon as I crank the volume up there are a load of annoying upper frequencies. Maybe I'm just really sensitive to them or something. I managed to dial stuff in on the fly to get it sounding good so I hooked my rig back up at loud bedroom level today and the tones sounded muffled and muted. I know there's a lot of talk about dialling tones in at gig volume etc but if I take an album then it sounds good at bedroom levels and if I play it through my PA then it sounds great at band level too. This leads me to think that there's more to this than meets the ear!

Today I started reading a bit more in depth about EQing guitars in a mix, especially around the high end and how to keep air and crunch but control some of the nasty frequencies. I already know about notching and some other techniques but I found some interesting articles which suggested bringing the LP filter down further (5-6khz) and then boosting with a shelf +15Khz to bring back the air (could also be be achieved through the air parameter in the cab block as suggested). Also boosting in the 5-6khz range can add some nice crunch back in without some of the harshness. I'm still playing about at the moment but I'm hopefully heading in the right direction now.

I'll see if I can record some clips to show you guys where I am.

Thanks for the suggestions so far!

Thanks guys.

I had a rehearsal yesterday and had the PR75 57/160 01 cab mixed with the stock PR55 ML cab. I had to set it slightly out of phase to round out the highs. I took out a bunch of low end with the HP in the cab block and and also a little on the global EQ. I had the LP filter at 7500hz to try and kill off a bit of the fizz (although some might argue that would work well for a Slash type tone. I'm usually ok getting stuff dialled in at home but as soon as I crank the volume up there are a load of annoying upper frequencies. Maybe I'm just really sensitive to them or something. I managed to dial stuff in on the fly to get it sounding good so I hooked my rig back up at loud bedroom level today and the tones sounded muffled and muted. I know there's a lot of talk about dialling tones in at gig volume etc but if I take an album then it sounds good at bedroom levels and if I play it through my PA then it sounds great at band level too. This leads me to think that there's more to this than meets the ear!

Today I started reading a bit more in depth about EQing guitars in a mix, especially around the high end and how to keep air and crunch but control some of the nasty frequencies. I already know about notching and some other techniques but I found some interesting articles which suggested bringing the LP filter down further (5-6khz) and then boosting with a shelf +15Khz to bring back the air (could also be be achieved through the air parameter in the cab block as suggested). Also boosting in the 5-6khz range can add some nice crunch back in without some of the harshness. I'm still playing about at the moment but I'm hopefully heading in the right direction now.

I'll see if I can record some clips to show you guys where I am.

Thanks for the suggestions so far!
That's good to hear. Obviously this also makes me wonder about the monitors you use at rehearsals. They sound scooped if you need "too much" high and low cut.

I'm haven't had the time to thank everybody about getting this pack. A very sincere thank you! :)

I was told creating this "Mothership" was a risky move business wise but I didn't really want to care about that. I was more interested in creating something that would step up the IR game and all these great clips and comments speak for themselves.

None of this would be possible without this extraordinary community. Thank you to all my pals, buddies and friends. :)

I'm sure this will become another timeless Cab Pack.

Back
Top Bottom