ML BASS Bundle - MPT vs RAW

rcd

Inspired
Hi,
I bought the ML Bass bundle. The 4x10 has both MPT+RAW syx files but the USA Bass only has one syx set of files and doesn't specify if the IR's are MPT or RAW.

I'm still very confused on MPT vs RAW & which ones I should be using in either the user slots in the Axe or with CabLab while mixing IR's. I do mix four cabs together in the AXE as my preferred method, using 2 stereo Ultra Res Cabs and blending with each cabs volume knob.

Also when converting other IR's (like Ownhammer) are you checking both Min Phase and Auto Trim? Or just Min Phase? Or Neither? What method of conversion is working best for you to get the IR's to BLEND together in the most pleasing way to your ears?

I have the Ownhammer Bass & ML Bass IR's and want all of the 'BEST' Bass IR's - Any other recommendations? If so, how do they differ from Ownhammer & ML?

Thanks!

MPT = minimum phase transform. It deletes all phase information from the IR but time aligns all IR's so it's easier to mix IR's without having to do it manually. All stock IR's on the Axe-Fx are MPT'd. The difference is subtle but the raw un-MPT'd format is the more realistic version. It's most noticeable when you start mixing raw IR's together. Something completely different happens when you do that and all of the IR mixes that are included in my Cab Packs have been done raw. You will not get this sort of realism with MPT'd IR's which is the format most people use with modelers. The raw format is a bit of a hassle to work with so people tend to use the MPT'd version instead but the higher quality one is the raw format.

As far as comparing different IR producers, that will most likely be a matter of opinion in the end. I can only state that I've studied the craft of shooting IR's and use only the best, cleanest and purest methods. I don't choose methods based on my personal tastes. I use the scientifically purest and cleanest capture methods. That is where most IR producers differ. I came up with the colorless tube amp IR shoot method that's now featured in the Axe-Fx II as mic+di. I have a system for placing microphones that IMO is the way everyone should place mics that many people trust and use live and in the studio. Everyone from Guns N' Roses to Periphery and Avenged Sevenfold have worked with ML and we've been really happy with the collaborations. I'm not sure if there is a higher level for IR demand. :)

Thank you for the detailed info on MTP vs Raw, I just bought ML Brit & ML Misha because I really appreciate your detailed responsiveness.

I'm all about getting the highest quality, most realistic sounds, but what is the best method for mixing 2 or more raw cab IR's without having phase issues?
I usually use 'Stereo UltraRes' internally in the Axe, so that's 2 cab blocks/ 4 user cabs total, all mixed together in the Axe. Would cab lab be the better method for mixing your raw IR files?
I'm still trying to find & understand the best IR mixing method for retaining purity and realness, So any information/recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

There is a phase adjustment control in the Cab Block for fine tuning the phase. Usually you get a more realistic sound when it's not 100% in phase but instead you get some "real life smear". :)

Back
Top Bottom