ML Amp Pack - Brit Silver based on Marshall Silver Jubilee from '87

ML SOUND LAB

Cab Pack Wizard
Vendor
https://ml-sound-lab.com/

Here's a clip of all three channels:

It's probably no surprise that I'm a huge Guns N Roses fan but I dare you to search YouTube for some clips of Joe Bonamassa talk about the Silver Jubilee... it's his #1. So many rock legends from John Frusciante (Red Hot Chili Peppers) to Alex Lifeson (Rush) to Steve Morse (every band ever) love this amp because it's "the JCM with more low end and more gain". Also I've always been a huge fan of the Brit Silver amp sim on the Fractal so I've always wanted to try the real thing. The settings I used are pretty close to what Mick is using in this video (although he's playing a reissue) but I "Slashed it up" by using the input gain knob to add the low end instead of the bass knob:

That's the Marshall holy grail for me. If I ever have a problem with Marshalls it's that they're too tinny and bright or not enough gain. That's not a problem with this amp. I'm very excited that I got to immortalize this legend of an amp for safekeeping. Should go without saying but I'll say this just in case, these are the kinds of amps where you play with your guitar volume knob to get all the "tone". With your guitar volume full up, this amp has no clean channel. :) I actually used this Amp Pack already on the Mars Silver Cab Pack demo:

Here's the official boring text:

"This Amp Pack is compatible with Fractal Audio Systems™ Axe-Fx III, Axe-Fx II and AX8.

Amp Pack “Mars Silver” is based on a Marshall™ Silver Jubilee™ tube head from 1987. The real life amplifier was accurately measured and fine tuned to perfect balance with an equal amount of bass, middle, treble and presence while going through all gain stages that the amp has to offer. This Amp Pack comes with 9 authentically matched presets altogether.

A = Authentically

M = Matched

P = Presets

Preset 1: Clean - Pristine clean

Preset 2: Clean - Edge of breakup

Preset 3: Clean - Full gain clean

Preset 4: Rhythm - Medium crunch

Preset 5: Rhythm - Rock rhythm

Preset 6: Rhythm - Full gain rhythm

Preset 7: Lead - Medium gain lead

Preset 8: Lead - High gain lead

Preset 9: Lead - Full gain lead

ML Sound Lab Amp Packs are perfect digital recreations of all that real life amplifiers have to offer when fine tuned to perfection. Microscopic detail has been paid in not only making the presets and profiles sound exactly like the real amplifier but also that they're reacting to dynamics and feeling just like the real thing. All real amplifiers get measured in multiple places before and after gain stages to ensure that these ML presets authentically sustain, saturate and are as tight or loose like the real life counterpart.

All Amp Packs come with a sample cab from an ML Sound Lab Cab Pack which was the actual cabinet used to interact with the amplifier when making measurements. This ensures that no matter what modeler you're using you will have the most authentic presets and profiles that interact with each other with never-before-heard accuracy. This makes Amp Pack “Mars Silver” a perfect match with the Cab Pack “Mars Silver” and when combined they open a door to an endless amount of authentic possibilities."

All feedback is more than welcome and please let me know what you'd like to see next! And as always, thank you for making all this possible. :) For all things ML please visit: https://ml-sound-lab.com/

Looks amazing but got a Question.
This amp pack comes with your custom IRs or just a random one to make it sound decent and will be better with he proper pack?
If we buy both of them Is there any discount?
Thx

This amp pack comes with your custom IRs or just a random one to make it sound decent and will be better with he proper pack?
Thx

Likewise, not a massive complaint but got the Boogie one just as it came out, only to have a 25% discount weekend just afterwards.

Bought the Jubilee Cab pack straight away too

Would be nice to get a little sweetener ;)

Tried this amp pack last night - haven't spent too much time on it yet. Unfortunately I was quite disappointed.
After the stellar Mesa pack, I had high expectations .. I use a real guitar cab with Matrix power amp. Volume levels are all over the place (easily fixed, but not expected)- many were way over 0dB and clipping. Several of the preset tones have so much bass that there's no string definition left. I need to play around with it a bit more, but as such I did not find this pack to be usable out of the box, which is kind of the whole point of this product. I have not tried yet with the cab to a monitor, perhaps that will make a difference. I think we need an update with the fixes for the above. Same setup (guitar, Matrix, cab) with the Mesa pack is amazing.

Update: cab emulation output sounds better to my ears (Atomic CLR, with the sample cab), but I still feel it's too bass heavy. I also recorded the tone and compared the output with my Yahama HS8 - same thing - too much bass. If I reduce the bass a couple of notches then I like it better, and I get more string definition. But I really don't want to spend hours fine tuning bass settings or other parameters.. not sure if others will have the same experience/feedback.

Update: cab emulation output sounds better to my ears (Atomic CLR, with the sample cab), but I still feel it's too bass heavy. I also recorded the tone and compared the output with my Yahama HS8 - same thing - too much bass. If I reduce the bass a couple of notches then I like it better, and I get more string definition. But I really don't want to spend hours fine tuning bass settings or other parameters.. not sure if others will have the same experience/feedback.
It should take less than a minute minute to get the bass exactly where you want it. :)

Different guitars will have more or less bass. It’s kind of unavoidable.

If it was just the bass then it's fine.. but based on past experience with tweaking amp settings, it isn't that straight-forward.. typically something else will also need to change to compensate. I'll play around with it some more as well. Miko - any other suggestions?

Thx
Hey! These packs come with a really good IR. For this Amp Pack it's the "Appetite" IR from the Mars Silver Cab Pack so essentially the one I'm using the most anyways so there's some added value for sure. As far as discounts go I have nothing scheduled right now and the first one we had was (I'll admit it) my first test of "I can finally do this, let's see how this works". :) That being said I do think that's a great idea to support those who support ML the most. I'll have to look into this.

Likewise, not a massive complaint but got the Boogie one just as it came out, only to have a 25% discount weekend just afterwards.

Bought the Jubilee Cab pack straight away too

Would be nice to get a little sweetener ;)
And this is kind of the reason I'm always afraid of discounts. 1) at least a dozen people bought it the day before the discount and 2) people will assume there's a discount coming that's scheduled. I definitely need to think about this because at the same time I do agree that I want to support the people that support me. Thank you guys for the feedback!

Tried this amp pack last night - haven't spent too much time on it yet. Unfortunately I was quite disappointed.
After the stellar Mesa pack, I had high expectations .. I use a real guitar cab with Matrix power amp. Volume levels are all over the place (easily fixed, but not expected)- many were way over 0dB and clipping. Several of the preset tones have so much bass that there's no string definition left. I need to play around with it a bit more, but as such I did not find this pack to be usable out of the box, which is kind of the whole point of this product. I have not tried yet with the cab to a monitor, perhaps that will make a difference. I think we need an update with the fixes for the above. Same setup (guitar, Matrix, cab) with the Mesa pack is amazing.
Hey! Thank you for the feedback and there's actually a real reason behind these questions. Main one being - this is a Silver Jubilee Marshall so the low end with a lot of gain will be flubbier than a Mesa low end. For us Mesa guys it's definitely weird, but for the Marshall guys this is exactly right and remember that this is one of those amps that people who play around with their volume knobs love. Essentially you would crank the amp up and use your volume knob to get clean crunch and lead. I actually Googled the most famous amp settings for these amps and Joe Bonamassa said he always has his bass at 10... I only had it at 6 highest. I'm actually shooting a tutorial on this but I've been swamped with boring paperwork... the downsides of starting a business. Here's my quick fix and explanation:

As with many of these amplifiers you'll actually realize that the amp EQ affects the low end very little but the combination of different volumes and gains is what gives you that brightness variation. So if you feel like there's too much low end you should use presets 1, 4 and 7 since those are the ones that have the least "master volume" = least of that loose low end. While someone using a Strat or PAF style Les Paul will most likely want that low end and use 2, 5 and 8 and for the ones that want to go full eleven spinal tap presets 3, 6 and 9 are actually all the masters and drives at full for all three channels and those will definitely not handle palm mutes etc. quite like a Mesa. The varying differences of master volume is ultimately what does affect the volumes and I did actually try to balance the presets but I might look into it if it needs a free update. The good thing about low end and these Amp Packs is that it's the one control that doesn't "mess with things".

The video tutorial should explain things but if you're having problems with the low end my first advice would be to use presets 4 or 5 for your main sound. That's the "correct" amount of gain for a Marshall rhythm sound. If you feel like the low end is too much then the bass knob does work quite realistically.

And this is kind of the reason I'm always afraid of discounts. 1) at least a dozen people bought it the day before the discount and 2) people will assume there's a discount coming that's scheduled. I definitely need to think about this because at the same time I do agree that I want to support the people that support me. Thank you guys for the feedback!

Just about to buy it anyway, but given that I'm buying the IR again (since I already have the Silver pack) - maybe an easy way is to offer two bundles? One with the IR and one without?

Hey! Thank you for the feedback and there's actually a real reason behind these questions. Main one being - this is a Silver Jubilee Marshall so the low end with a lot of gain will be flubbier than a Mesa low end. For us Mesa guys it's definitely weird, but for the Marshall guys this is exactly right and remember that this is one of those amps that people who play around with their volume knobs love. Essentially you would crank the amp up and use your volume knob to get clean crunch and lead. I actually Googled the most famous amp settings for these amps and Joe Bonamassa said he always has his bass at 10... I only had it at 6 highest. I'm actually shooting a tutorial on this but I've been swamped with boring paperwork... the downsides of starting a business. Here's my quick fix and explanation:

As with many of these amplifiers you'll actually realize that the amp EQ affects the low end very little but the combination of different volumes and gains is what gives you that brightness variation. So if you feel like there's too much low end you should use presets 1, 4 and 7 since those are the ones that have the least "master volume" = least of that loose low end. While someone using a Strat or PAF style Les Paul will most likely want that low end and use 2, 5 and 8 and for the ones that want to go full eleven spinal tap presets 3, 6 and 9 are actually all the masters and drives at full for all three channels and those will definitely not handle palm mutes etc. quite like a Mesa. The varying differences of master volume is ultimately what does affect the volumes and I did actually try to balance the presets but I might look into it if it needs a free update. The good thing about low end and these Amp Packs is that it's the one control that doesn't "mess with things".

The video tutorial should explain things but if you're having problems with the low end my first advice would be to use presets 4 or 5 for your main sound. That's the "correct" amount of gain for a Marshall rhythm sound. If you feel like the low end is too much then the bass knob does work quite realistically.

This is excellent information, thanks, Miko, and look forward to the video!

**FOR PEOPLE ASKING ABOUT DISCOUNTS**

I'm trying out something "new" right now that's on a test period so this may be a good time to take advantage. Anyone purchasing any pack can bundle up any other pack and get 20% off on the second pack. So if you want two Cab Packs or two Amp Packs or one Cab Pack and one Amp Pack you'll get a bundle discount. You don't need any codes or anything, it's automatically done at checkout.

As for supporting existing users, I'm still trying to figure out if there's something I can do. I appreciate the feedback and definitely agree with you guys. :) Thank you!

Another view on this particular pack.

There is a volume drop/jump (depending on the direction) between two of the presets, but that’s easily fixed - you have to change each preset anyway to match the cab location you used so it’s not a biggie.

Apart from that - as a former owner of a 25/50 Jubilee stack (thank you first credit card to an irresponsible 18 year old me!), this is very, very close - and better than I’ve ever been able to do.

Especially the cleans and crunch which are underrated in this amp and spot on in my opinion

Another view on this particular pack.

There is a volume drop/jump (depending on the direction) between two of the presets, but that’s easily fixed - you have to change each preset anyway to match the cab location you used so it’s not a biggie.

Apart from that - as a former owner of a 25/50 Jubilee stack (thank you first credit card to an irresponsible 18 year old me!), this is very, very close - and better than I’ve ever been able to do.

Especially the cleans and crunch which are underrated in this amp and spot on in my opinion
Thank you peteri! I definitely did the same accurate efforts for this pack just like the Boogey V pack. I think it's just that most people most likely haven't experienced the real life amp so they may not know what to expect. With Mesa in general I feel like I'll use a different channel and settings for every sound while on a JCM based Marshall like the Jubilee I'll find that one setting that does what I want it to do and then use pedals and effects and the controls on my guitar to create all the sounds I need that that's where it shines. To demonstrate this a bit better I made this video just now:

This pack makes me want to use my Strat again like the old days, a simple sound with the volume on the guitar to clean it up. It helps to bring back the body that the treble bleed pot seems to take away. I put a T808 OD, drive at 0, volume at 10 in front of preset 4 and I can get back the tight low end if I want it. one drive pedal and preset 4 could get me through a whole gig. Thanks Miko

Ah. Appetite IR. What’s the main difference from the AFD in your opinion? :)

Hey! These packs come with a really good IR. For this Amp Pack it's the "Appetite" IR from the Mars Silver Cab Pack so essentially the one I'm using the most anyways so there's some added value for sure. As far as discounts go I have nothing scheduled right now and the first one we had was (I'll admit it) my first test of "I can finally do this, let's see how this works". :) That being said I do think that's a great idea to support those who support ML the most. I'll have to look into this.

**DISCOUNT TIME**

Some of you awesome people who already purchased a pack from the new ML store have been asking for a discount on a second pack. I was able to pull some strings so if you've purchased anything on the new ML store and buy a pack now, use the code MIKKOHIGHFIVE and you'll get 5€ OF STORE CREDIT. There's a limited amount of these codes available so if you want to take advantage I recommend you to be quick. Starting my own website was a scary thing and you guys have made it a dream come true so take this as a thank you for the early supporters of the ML store. :)

Back
Top Bottom