MK1 & MK2 owners: How many FW upgrades have U done?

solo-act

Fractal Fanatic
From July 21, 2011 to Q 4.01 just now, I've downloaded 70 unique firmware packages. I've loaded 55 of the 70 to my MK1.

So I've done 55 actual FW upgrades on my MK1 where I reviewed or redialed my 40 presets and backed them up to a unique folder.

Has there ever been a consumer hardware company that provided 70 free upgrades for one hardware device? In other words, Cliff has offered 70 opportunities for me to improve the product I deliver to my customers. Actually, Cliff has provided 110 opportunities...for free.

I downloaded 5 FW updates for the Standard and did 4. I downloaded 35 with Ultra and did 27.
That means I've downloaded 110 firmware packages and done 86 actual firmware upgrades. I'm not a beta tester; I just gig for a living.

Speak of Cliff, I can't afford to buy an XL so If you find any more creative ways to create space for us MK1 & MK2 users, that would be yet another bonus. If not, thanks for a great run!!!

I can garrante you any Windows user has way more ;)

Seriously we don't need to spark all this talk just because one guy got upset at the physical limits of his older unit.
We are all quite aware of how lovely updates are and how generous FAS is to provide them ,even though it helps build their brand and is more of a 2 birds with one stone thing.

Every consumer should reasonably assume a product will have a life cycle regardless.

I'm a little down that this is the last FW for my MKI because there were a couple of things I had hoped I'd see in the FX department but I am very happy with what I have. As long as FAS continues to provide tech support then use MKI/II guys (and gals) really can't complain. I'm my opinion.

I think that I missed the first 4 while on the wait list and then there was one that was re-released as a quick bug fix within a few hours that I missed. That's it; I think that I ended up using all of them, including the betas.

It's insane to think about it.

I've done all of them since I bought my Mk I that came with fw6.
If the rom is full, I'll still have more than enough amps/cabs/fx to last a lifetime!

I do use the AX8 for gigs and love it!

Every one since FW13 or so until I sold it to a friend earlier this year and bought an AX8. Even if I still had it, I would be disappointed but not angry. Cliff has no obligation to do the relentless improvements that he has done over the years. It is much appreciated.

Assuming you're referring to me...who said I was upset? Again, assuming you were referring to me, please don't make assumptions that I'm "upset". I realize emotion and context can be difficult to interpret in text but I can assure you, I'm not upset. You'd be hard pressed to find a less temperamental and more cordial, respectful and thankful person than I. Besides, since when is it a bad thing to 'spark' talk? :)

I was merely thinking outside the box to see if there are alternative solutions to the problem. Cliff has done the same by developing a compression algorithm to fit the firmware into the existing ROM space...brilliant idea and I like many, am very appreciative for his efforts, along with the efforts of everyone else at Fractal Audio. I was merely exploring options down similar avenues.

I can understand the EOL decision for the Standard and Ultra, to my knowledge, that was based mainly on CPU power. To my understanding and please correct me if I'm wrong, the II has the same processing power as the XL/XL+. The only difference, again, to the best of my knowledge, was that the XL/XL+ has more storage capacity for storing more presets. I don't recall any mention about the differences in ROM capacity. Doesn't mean that it wasn't mentioned, but I don't recall. As for the difference between the XL and XL+, I believe it's just the LCD.

I, like most would have loved to upgrade and buy an XL/XL+, however, given the information I had on-hand at the time, the ability to store more presets was not something I needed. The MKI/II can store way more presets than I will ever need/use...not to mention way more amps. than I will ever need/use. What is important to me however, are the constant improvements to the firmware and yes, like everyone else, I'm very grateful that they are free. Had I known that at some point the limitations in ROM may become a roadblock, then I would have re-evaluated my decision on whether to upgrade or not, once all options, if any had been exhausted.

I've been in the tech. field for over 30 years, problem solving comes second nature to me and that you can't crystal ball the future. I also teach embedded programming, so I know first-hand how quickly firmware can go from hundreds of lines of code to thousands as ideas and epiphany's evolve. We know that Cliff has had many along the way and because of them, the Axe-Fx has never sounded more realistic, the consequence unfortunately, is that the ROM space that seemed vast a few years ago, is now full. So once again, just trying to work a solution to the problem...which may ultimately may mean upgrading, sooner, rather than later or sticking with the Q4.x...which really wouldn't be a bad thing!! :)

Thanks for listening! :)
I wasn't referring to you :)

I've had my Mark I since last year, coming with Firmware 18. I've been amazed at how much of an upgrade the different Quantum versions have made since then. I don't care how many upgrades the thing has left as long as it sounds good.

Ive done everyone and enjoyed the ride. No complaints from me ever. Has been amazing to be part of the evolution process. Hope Cliff finds a way for that to continue with the mk1. Was hoping I would not need to upgrade until an Axe Fx 3 came out, although I can appreciate its effectively already been out many times with free upgrades!

I think I bought my Axe-Fx 2 Mk I when it was on FW 3.00 or something. Before that I felt it sounded too close to my Axe-Fx Standard. That's a lot of firmwares over the years. Now I have a hard time thinking what I would want on the Axe-Fx software wise, just want a better user experience adjusting settings from the hardware.

I've done a ton of updates. Don't know how many, but I bought my I just as soon as I could. I had an Ultra for a couple of years before the II came out. I was one of the people piecing together a web browser automation tool to buy it off site the millisecond it came up. Don't remember what firmware was on it, but it was early. Sounded better than Ultra to me, but now it's freaking amazing. I can barely get from one patch to next because amps sound so amazing. I'm sorry I won't be getting any more upgrades, but hopefully my AX8 will. Don't know how it's going to sound better, but I'm sure Cliff will find some way to improve it.

Back
Top Bottom