Mixing custom user cab impulses (help/suggestions)

Matt Steele

Experienced
Is there anyone doing this at the moment? There are a lot of cabinet simulators that allow the user to mix multiple impulses. I've been using Redwirez' Mix IR2 since it released, and I have crafted a lot of tones using this mixing of impulses technique.

This weekend I delved into getting my custom impulses into the Axe and trying to get my sound out of it. I ended up using a stereo cab and loading in two impulses into it, attempting to get the desired result, but I do not believe this was the intended purpose of the stereo cab. By the way... My primary signal chain is not stereo, it's mono, but using the stereo cab block was the only way I was able to get my impulses sounding right. It was very difficult to figure out what percentage of each responce was making up the final sound. I had to do my best by ear. Again, I'm guessing this was not the intended purpose of the stereo cab block?

I also tried routing two cabs together and tried using a mixer block but I couldn't figure out how to get it to sound even remotely correct. Possibly my inexperience with the Axe.

I was wondering if any of you have any suggestion for how to route/mix multiple impulses together?

For sure you can mix up to four IRs using two stereo cab blocks: Balance all cab outputs to noon and set output level for each cabinet to taste.

The best: you can save (!) this individually cab mix as one User Cab by using the Tonematch Block:

Fill the Reference slot with a sine sweep from the synth-block going through the cabinets. Do the same with the local block but BYPASS the CAB blocks! -> Match and save the Tonematch as new USER IR ...

attached i created a Template [4 CAB IR TMA MIXDOWN.syx] in Axe edit (not tested with the axe fx, but i am sure, it will work .... ).

- Bypass the TMA Block, when mixing the CAB IRs with their LEVEL parameters by playing guitar through the AMP Block
- Bypass the the AMP Block, engage the TMA Block to fill the the Reference Slot
- Bypass the the AMP Block, bypass the CAB Blocks and engage the TMA Block to fill the the Local Slot.

Now: Match the unprocessed Sine curve from the local slot with the CAB IR processed Sine curve in the reference slot. Result is a Tonematch, representing the 4 CAB IR MIX. Save it as User CAB IR and you are finished ....

NOTE: the output Level of the Synth Block is on 0db (very loud). If it peak the signal chain, decrease the output level ....

Have fun!

Attachments

• 4 CAB IR TMA MIXDOWN.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom