Mixing 2 [ Mono ] Cab IR's to 0 db ... is there a quick and easy "rule of thumb" to follow ?

ben ifin

Experienced
Hi all

Say in a mono preset I have......

=> 2 Scenes
=> in Scene 1 I use only 1 x Cab A set to 0 db and the Balance set to 0.0
=> in Scene 2 I want to add 1 x Cab B so Scene 2 uses 1 x Cab A + 1 x Cab B ... where [again] both have the Balance set to 0.0
=> I want to then "mix" 1 x Cab A and 1 x Cab B such that 1 x Cab A is providing %75 of the total Cab output sound and 1 x Cab B is providing %25 of the total Cab output sound ...... but ...... I want to ensure that I keep the overall mixed / combined Cab output sound to no higher than 0 db

So my question is:-

=> given the above example, is there a quick / rough / rule-of-thumb formula to use to "mix" the db levels of 2 seperate Cab's to make them total 0 db ..... so that they are outputting the same level as one Cab running at 0 db ?

I understand that " trust my ears " is the way to go, but I'd like to know if there is a simple mathematical rule / formula to get me in the initial ball-park from which I can then fine tune.

Thanks,
Ben

That's a really cool idea. I've been using a really similar one for my AC/DC patch to simulate a dual guitar sound Ala Angus & Malcolm. For rhythms I used the X state of a stereo cab block hard panned with quite a bit of speaker delay (10ms?) on the right side, for a lead sound I used a mono Y state of the cab block to make the lead patch more present. I think I just leveled the volume with Volume Increment on my MFC by watching the VU meter.

Sorry I realize this doesn't answer your question at all.

From the Wiki:

Code:
CabA     CabB
-6dB     -6dB
-5.5dB  -6.6dB
-5dB    -7.2dB
-4.5dB  -7.9dB
-4dB    -8.7dB
-3.5dB  -9.6dB
-3dB    -10.7dB
-2.5dB  -12dB
-2dB    -13.7dB
-1.5dB  -16dB
-1dB    -19.3dB
-0.5dB  -25dB

These pairs will keep unity gain (0 dB).

75% is approx -2.5db
25% is approx -12db

db = 20 x log (ratio*)
* 0.75 or 0.25 in this case

Last edited:
From the Wiki:

Code:
CabA     CabB
-6dB     -6dB
-5.5dB  -6.6dB
-5dB    -7.2dB
-4.5dB  -7.9dB
-4dB    -8.7dB
-3.5dB  -9.6dB
-3dB    -10.7dB
-2.5dB  -12dB
-2dB    -13.7dB
-1.5dB  -16dB
-1dB    -19.3dB
-0.5dB  -25dB

These pairs will keep unity gain (0 dB).

Forgot to ask mr_fender

I was trying to find this on the Axe Wiki and couldnt seem to find it - any chance you could please post the Axe Wiki link for this (?)

Thanks again,
Ben

Back
Top Bottom