Mixer help

rtcook

Experienced
I'm wanting to buy a rack mixer. I only play at home, but I also just bought a drum machine as well. I'd like to hook the drum machine up to the mixer as well as my powered speakers that are currently hooked up to my Axe. The Axe would then need to be hooked up to the mixer. Is this correct? I have never done anything like this and want to make sure I am doing it correctly. I also need some suggestions on a rack mixer. I have looked at them and have just gotten confused. Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,

Roger

yes. a mixer "mixes" multiple signals together. so you'd want everything that makes sound plugged into the mixer so you can balance the levels with the knobs or faders. so drum machine into it, axe into it, and whatever else. then the mixer outputs carry that mixed signal to the next thing in chain, probably powered speakers.

rack mixers are ok, but there aren't too many options and they are expensive compared to the "board" style counterparts. if you can, maybe look into a small board style mixer. you can probably get what you need for $99 compared to a rack mixer probably starting at $399 or so.

I have it hooked up exactly like that for playing at home. I use a Mackie two-channel mixer, around $99. Works great for this purpose. If you want to run the Axe in stereo, add your drum machine and also add some other tracks out of your computer, you might want to get a 4 channel

I need a rack model as everything I have is in a 21 space rack. Money doesn't matter to much. My Axe is hooked up with XLR connections. Seems mixers have mostly 1/4" outputs. Is there any advantage to using XLR connections over 1/4"? Been trying to find a mixer with XLR outs.

I just upgraded to this: http://www.rane.com/mlm42s.html

It has audio quality up there with the Fractal. Love it.

Very convenient for me and the way I wire my rig.

I have a loom from my TC foot controller to the rack. And a loom from the rack to one CLR.

Rock solid, high quality, high headroom audio.

I love having the EQ per channel too.

How much stuff is in your 21 space rack? There are some 16 channel mixing boards that are rack mountable and take up like 8 spaces, these give plenty of options for outputs, inputs, monitors, recording outs, tape is, etc. I have seen these go pretty cheap used now that most are trying to hang with the times and go all digital.

I myself use a 10 channel mixer on a stand so there is room to plug others in when they come to jam, and my axe fx is in a small rack so I an just unplug the xlr cables and go.

Years ago I bought a Mackie mixer 1642 VLZ3
When I bought my AxeFxII I hooked up output 1 XLR to stereo 1/4" into my mixer.
My stereo monitors are hooked up to the Main mix out of the Mackie.
The cool thing I like about using a mixer is I can decide what gets sent to my DAW via soundcard. You definitely need one when listening back to hardware synths/drum machines and decide when you want to capture those sounds.
Over the years I've come to need lots of inputs, in a way 16 channels isn't that much.
A1%2B0EGVdZDS._SL1500_.jpg

For the most part it's just going to be me playing. I don't have alot of room so I'd like to get a rack unit. Rexx, how did you get that in your rack? I have a bunch of spaces open. Got a 21 space because it's tall and my laptop sits on top.

The mixer comes with rack mount ears that you can screw in, you just need to buy the screws to mount it to your rack.

I see Rane come up alot. The Behringer is not a rack unit. I'll probably go with the Samson. But has good reviews and this is a hobby for me. I'm not a professional. Thanks for all the suggestions. Much appreciated.

I've got a Rane MLM 82S in my rack. I've got the 1/4" channel 1 outs of the Axe FX into the two channel 5 inputs on the mixer. I've got another stereo pair of outs from a Big Knob (routes my PC, X32 Rack mixer mains and a couple other things to different outputs) that I put into channel 6 on the mixer. The outputs of the mixer feed the power amp that feeds my two 12" passive wedges. This allows me to put the Axe FX and/or whatever is going through the Big Knob through my power amp into the passive wedges. You wouldn't need the Big Knob of course, I just use that to route between the 12" wedges and a set of desktop monitors.

It's all a bit overkill really but it's certainly flexible.

Back
Top Bottom