Mix Problem suggestions

CrustOfSin

we just had a gig last night and recorded it with a videocam. the sound of course aint that good but my main problem is that 1 of the guitars. (we have 2) is sounding too loud and the other one lower. is there a way i can lower the volume of the loud guitar ? compressor ? limiter ? settings ? since i guess i cant increase the volume of the low guitar (since the whole mix will also increase in volume) is there a way to put a cut or something for when an instrument exceeds a specific level of db or something ?

Simple answer: No, not really.
Since this is from a video recording, at best stereo, there is most likely nothing you can do in any significant way. Camera audio that isn't being fed from a mixer or something similar is very positional and it's probably why one guitarist is louder than the other.
Try and see what happens though. Never say die.

we just had a gig last night and recorded it with a videocam. the sound of course aint that good but my main problem is that 1 of the guitars. (we have 2) is sounding too loud and the other one lower. is there a way i can lower the volume of the loud guitar ? compressor ? limiter ? settings ? since i guess i cant increase the volume of the low guitar (since the whole mix will also increase in volume) is there a way to put a cut or something for when an instrument exceeds a specific level of db or something ?

Are you asking about post processing the recording? or is the problem the FOH mix is out of balance?

Simple answer: No, not really.
Since this is from a video recording, at best stereo, there is most likely nothing you can do in any significant way. Camera audio that isn't being fed from a mixer or something similar is very positional and it's probably why one guitarist is louder than the other.
Try and see what happens though. Never say die.

thats what i think too. thanks for answering

Are you asking about post processing the recording? or is the problem the FOH mix is out of balance?
post processing the recording yeah. perhaps something like a multiband compression, or compress everything to cut from a vol level and higher so at least i get the loud guitar lower therefore the other one higher in a way.

If the guitars were hard panned in the mix you'd have some legs to stand on, although it would affect the balance of everything else. Other than that, a stereo mix is a print - it's like flattening your layers in Photoshop or letting the paint dry on a canvas. You can't remove or change what's there, you can only add to it.

post processing the recording yeah. perhaps something like a multiband compression, or compress everything to cut from a vol level and higher so at least i get the loud guitar lower therefore the other one higher in a way.

Is the recording stereo or mono?

If stereo, i.e. two mics in the camera, then are you familiar with Mid-Side (MS) processing?

MS will let you process the L/R independent of the middle. Sometimes it's a live saver for something like you describe. You would be able to compress the sides independent of the middle.

If the recording is mono, then MS is not applicable.

Are you playing through a PA system and plugged into a mixer? Do you have 2 AXE units or both guitars going through 1? There are many ways to balance the guitars. Compression would work if set correctly. I use it in the PA for even the final mix to level and tighten the mix.

Is the recording stereo or mono?

If stereo, i.e. two mics in the camera, then are you familiar with Mid-Side (MS) processing?

MS will let you process the L/R independent of the middle. Sometimes it's a live saver for something like you describe. You would be able to compress the sides independent of the middle.

If the recording is mono, then MS is not applicable.
yes its stereo, two mics in the camera. i googled ms processing. looks like it could help if i knew how to really use it. i did try and achieve a better result but still...

Are you playing through a PA system and plugged into a mixer? Do you have 2 AXE units or both guitars going through 1? There are many ways to balance the guitars. Compression would work if set correctly. I use it in the PA for even the final mix to level and tighten the mix.
1 axe through pa into mixer, 1 guitar through mic on guitar cab to mixer. the audio i have though is stereo from the videocam and since the axe guitar has no real amp on stage the videocam mic captures the sound from only the pa system in contrast with the other guitar from which it captures the sound (volume) from both the pa and the actual guitar amp on stage.

1 axe through pa into mixer, 1 guitar through mic on guitar cab to mixer. the audio i have though is stereo from the videocam and since the axe guitar has no real amp on stage the videocam mic captures the sound from only the pa system in contrast with the other guitar from which it captures the sound (volume) from both the pa and the actual guitar amp on stage.
Then either the cam mics are picking up the stage cab mixed with the pa cabs and making it obviously louder. Or EQ settings are cancelling out one of the guitars.
I had a gig where the sound man came to me, on an outside concert, and said I was not loud enough, but I was cranked. It turned out to be EQ settings were not cutting through the mix. I lowered bass, added mid, treble and presence and he gave me a thumbs up. That was actually the gig that got me to purchase my AXE. I had top of the line Mesa gear and was having issues? Never had that issue ever again, since changing to the AXE. Best thing I ever did. I do however get ridiculed by my guitar friends, who don't want to believe we don't need tube amps. And I get tone compliments every time I play.

Back
Top Bottom