Mix Levels

jshirkey

Experienced
Is there a tutorial or a Wiki somewhere about general guidelines for mix levels in one's fx chain? (I'm including the amp in that chain.)

What knob should I mess with first, for instance? The overall level of the amp (or effect) or its mix level?

I've got all kinds of questions, but I thought I'd ask for some references first, if they are available.

Thanks,
Jeff

Is there a tutorial or a Wiki somewhere about general guidelines for mix levels in one's fx chain? (I'm including the amp in that chain.)

What knob should I mess with first, for instance? The overall level of the amp (or effect) or its mix level?

I've got all kinds of questions, but I thought I'd ask for some references first, if they are available.

Thanks,
Jeff

I'll watch that video, but what I'm talking about is within individual presets, not across presets. Example: If I have a drive pedal in the chain, should I have its mix level at 100%? 50%? What's ideal? And what's the difference between keeping its mix level at 100% and then bringing its output level down, vs mix at 50% and keeping the output level high--etc? Likewise across all fx in the chain.

Thanks.

I'll watch that video, but what I'm talking about is within individual presets, not across presets. Example: If I have a drive pedal in the chain, should I have its mix level at 100%? 50%? What's ideal? And what's the difference between keeping its mix level at 100% and then bringing its output level down, vs mix at 50% and keeping the output level high--etc? Likewise across all fx in the chain.

Thanks.

Mix level sets the amount of signal that gets bypassed through the block. On a drive you want it to be 100%, meaning no bypassed signal. On a reverb you would maybe be at like 20% meaning most of the signal out of the reverb block is the regular guitar sound, with a touch of reverb.

Output level is just the signal level (volume) that leaves the block. Basically never touch this on any block except the amp block, and use it to set the overall patch volume.

It totally depends on what you are trying to achieve. How much delay or reverb do you want? Do you need a jet flanger that totally envelops you in a stereo wall, or do you just want it to be an ambient sound that thickens up the sound? This applies to every effect that has a mix, even drives, I run a couple of drive at 50% so I get an interesting mix of drive, and clean guitar hitting my amp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mix level sets the amount of signal that gets bypassed through the block. On a drive you want it to be 100%, meaning no bypassed signal..

Not necessarily. The Sparkle Drive had a mix control on the actual unit - and when I used one I liked to to run it lower than 100% - it kept some attack in the note - so when I started with the AFX (8 years now - crap), I tried the same. I tendto run all my drive blocker at around 90% mix. The exception is boosts (and drives I use as boosts) where I do run 100%

It also depends if your running you FX in parallel or series. In parallel you want the mix (generally) at 100% - then blend it to taste with either a mixer, or the level in the FX block. If you in series you need a much lower mix level. If you run it at 50%, then its the same as putting the block in parallel with mix at 100% and level at 0db. I tend to have my reverbs and delays between 8% and 15% mix if there in series - but other FX are (or can be) higher. I dont tend to go over 50% though - except for drastic flanger FX.

Back
Top Bottom