Mix/Levels question, what am I doing wrong?

mikeyg

Experienced
So I was tearing apart a Preset from Burgs tonight.

I was tweaking the usual things when you get someone else's preset set up for expression pedals or other FM6/12 controllers etc

Then I came to the Delay. He had his Mix at 100%, and level was quite low like -30dB. So I tried the level, and sure enough, it increased the amount of delay but not the volume of the preset.

I've always been doing this completely opposite, I keep the mix typically at 7 or lower, and the level consistent with the level of the overall preset.

So I tried it, and it didn't work. Mix at 100% was making the effect amount HUGE and unworkable.

So I'm missing some other factor, what is it?

What I was doing worked ok, but this method allows me much finer control of the effect amount.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Typically when setting delay mix to 100%, you’d use Input Gain on the Mix page to set the level of the delay. And, you’d usually only do this if the delay block was in parallel with the main signal path, rather than in series.

So I played around with this today, and fixed many of my patches. I have a level of tweaking I didn't know I had, I can now truly dial in the exact amount of delay and reverb I want, and the amp sound stays up front without getting washed out.

Thanks for the assist.

It sounds like I'm going to have to really dive into this because I did not know there was a general consensus of running a parallel delay and how to tweak it. I learn something new every day. I don't know if I'll ever truly scratch the surface of what this thing is capable of doing.

Since I'm here, what would be an application or reason to run delay in parallel vs series?

It sounds like I'm going to have to really dive into this because I did not know there was a general consensus of running a parallel delay and how to tweak it. I learn something new every day. I don't know if I'll ever truly scratch the surface of what this thing is capable of doing.

Since I'm here, what would be an application or reason to run delay in parallel vs series?
So you can adjust your delay level without changing your dry level.

So you can adjust your delay level without changing your dry level.
Although to confuse matters, the delay block’s mix knob follows a mix law that leaves your dry level at 100% until you reach 50% on the mix knob. They refer to it as a “constant power algorithm”. So running delay blocks in parallel is more for chaining the delay with additional sounds without affecting dry, or for keeping delays separate from each other or from other effects, rather than strictly about wet/dry levels.

On the other hand, the reverb block mix functions normally, so running reverb in parallel is the way to adjust reverb without affecting dry level.

Parallel sounds SOOOO much better. Night and day. It's a tonal 'accent' as opposed to a tonal washout.

Parallel sounds SOOOO much better. Night and day. It's a tonal 'accent' as opposed to a tonal washout.
Not sure I agree with that. The Delay block itself is just a delay mechanism in parallel with the dry signal. The real advantage of parallel is that it makes certain adjustments easier.

Not sure I agree with that. The Delay block itself is just a delay mechanism in parallel with the dry signal. The real advantage of parallel is that it makes certain adjustments easier.
I can fine tune now to a level I didn't not have before. Before, in series, I'd have enough effect at 2%, and too much at 5%. Now I can adjust in much finer increments. This is not to say that I was doing it right in series, either ... but I'm loving this ...

So I looked into wet/dry at one point. It sounded disconnected to my ears. What I’m getting now is what I really wanted which to have a mostly dry signal with just a touch of wet signal in stereo. Now it’s sounding like a stereo recording of my playing.

Sorry but I’m really stoked about this.

Back
Top Bottom