Mission SP-1R setup w/ MFC ?

s0c9

I've got one ordered and plan to use it as both volume and wah - to minimize my floorboard footprint.
Has anyone done this kind of setup yet? I'm assuming that it can be used in this manner ?
I'm sure it's not overly complicated, but would like to have the process "down" for when it gets here.

All you need is two TRS cables
one from switch out on the SP-1 to switch input on MFC
one from expression out on SP-1 to pedal in on MFC
assign switch on SP-1 just as you will for other I/A's on MFC
Assign expression as MFC manual dictates.

Mike Snider said:
Well that was no brainer !! LOL
thanks Mike !

Mike Snider said:

I must be making this harder than it needs to be. The only way I could get this to work was by going to a specific patch that has wah and going to the Wah effect menu and going to its "bypass mode switch" and assigning it to "pedal 1" as stated on page 26 of the MFC-101 manual (I am plugged into expression pedal 2 of the MFC). My problem is that when I am in the heel down position it bypasses the Wah effect and it does this whether I engage the switch or not on my SP-1.

Also, I was hoping to make it automatically engage the wah effect if it is present in any patch that is selected that contains wah. What is the number to assign for I/A switch 1?

I am sure this must be very easy but I have spent over two hours trying to figure this out. Any help is appreciated!

I made a little headway. I found on page 38 and 39 of the MFC-101 manual info to get the external switch setup. Now, my problem is that all my patches with a wah default to on when the external pedal is plugged in or if I hit bypass in the individual patch, my SP-1 pedal will then turn it on but the effect won't turn off when I step on the pedal a second time. Anyone?

Jerry K. said:
I made a little headway. I found on page 38 and 39 of the MFC-101 manual info to get the external switch setup. Now, my problem is that all my patches with a wah default to on when the external pedal is plugged in or if I hit bypass in the individual patch, my SP-1 pedal will then turn it on but the effect won't turn off when I step on the pedal a second time. Anyone?
Is auto-sensing set to on for the external controller ? It might be causing the issue. I have not received my SP-1R yet, but when I was using the switch on built-in pedal on my FC300 to turn the wah on/off, I had to set "Auto Engage" on the frequency controller to off.

I discoved from Mission Engineering that not only the expression connection but the switch connection has to be a TRS for the SP-1 to work. The MFC-101 manual says the switch connection can be a regular guitar cable if only one switch is needed and that is what I was using. I guess it is something to do with how the SP-1 is constructed. So now everything is working but the default on all my patches that have a "wah" block is "Wah ON" (only when the MFC-101 is connected) and when I engage the SP-1 and it's light comes on the "Wah" turns off. Any thoughts?

Jerry K. said:
I discoved from Mission Engineering that not only the expression connection but the switch connection has to be a TRS for the SP-1 to work. The MFC-101 manual says the switch connection can be a regular guitar cable if only one switch is needed and that is what I was using. I guess it is something to do with how the SP-1 is constructed. So now everything is working but the default on all my patches that have a "wah" block is "Wah ON" (only when the MFC-101 is connected) and when I engage the SP-1 and it's light comes on the "Wah" turns off. Any thoughts?
The Mission User Manual explicitly states on page 4 that both of the switch outputs are TRS. Even so, I had to read this post a couple of times to make sure I understood it. I believe the SP-1 switch is a toggle, so if the WAH is "ON" on the patch, when you engage he SP-1 switch, you are actually turning it off. :oops:
So try bypassing the WAH in the patch a(leave it "off") and see if that fixes it....

Still waiting on my SP-1R to arrive, so can't test the theory.

Jerry K. said:

I'm not sure if anyone has tried this, but I found a clever work around. In order to use the Mission Pedal as both a Wah and volume while connected to the MFC, you will need a TRS splitter cable (headphone splitter) with one TRS plug on one end and two male TRS plugs on the other. Each end of the TRS male plugs go to both ext. switch jacks of the MFC and the other end is connected to the switch jack of the Mission pedal. With this configuration, I'm using the toe switch to activate and bypass the wah with switch #1 of the MFC, while switch #3 of the MFC is used to bypass the volume block. Essentially, the toe switch is doing double duty by controlling two blocks at once. Each time the switch is pressed, the wah block is activated, while the volume block is deactivated at the same time. You will need to adjust the settings for the on/off states of each switch, so that they are the opposite of one another. (On CC#127, Off CC#00 for one switch and On CC#00, Off CC#127 for the other)

gmoulder said:
I'm not sure if anyone has tried this, but I found a clever work around. In order to use the Mission Pedal as both a Wah and volume while connected to the MFC, you will need a TRS splitter cable (headphone splitter) with one TRS plug on one end and two male TRS plugs on the other. Each end of the TRS male plugs go to both ext. switch jacks of the MFC and the other end is connected to the switch jack of the Mission pedal. With this configuration, I'm using the toe switch to activate and bypass the wah with switch #1 of the MFC, while switch #3 of the MFC is used to bypass the volume block. Essentially, the toe switch is doing double duty by controlling two blocks at once. Each time the switch is pressed, the wah block is activated, while the volume block is deactivated at the same time. You will need to adjust the settings for the on/off states of each switch, so that they are the opposite of one another. (On CC#127, Off CC#00 for one switch and On CC#00, Off CC#127 for the other)
That sounds like a great solution !!
I received my SP-1R + LED the other day.. been too busy until last night to try to hook it up to the rig. Despite all the kudos Mission receives on this forum, I was not terribly impressed with what I received. It took about a month to get here (I am aware of all the move/parts issues and get that), and yeah it works, but only after I took it apart, connected the battery terminal (one side was loose and not contacting properly), and tightened up the switch jack (outside nut) to the body, as it was loose/rotating. To be sure, both could have be caused by shipping. Don't know, but no evidence. I'm also not thrilled with the pedal base plate... seems awfully "thin" for a custom build. My Crybaby Wah (which cost less) is a "better" build - IMHO - altho' the base plate is almost identical. Maybe my SP-1R build is due to the "backlog" :?

I DO have one issue - maybe not with the pedal - but the switch seems to work the opposite of what I would expect.
I'm hoping this is due to setup error on my part. I'm using the toe switch to turn Wah on/off on various patches.
- TRS cable from switch to XS1. CC# = 97, switch XS1 set to TOGGLE.
- TRS from pedal XP2 on MFC. Calibrated OK.

The switch turns Wah block on/off fine, but when wah is OFF the LED light on the SP-1R is ON, and when wah is ON, the LED is OFF !!!
This seems backward to me.. and since the LED is run by the battery, I obviously want it OFF when the switch is OFF !
Is this a wiring issue with the SP-1R or something in my setup? I'm hoping its the latter !

Back
Top Bottom