Mission SP-1 Design Flaw - Any suggestions?

Loopback777

Inspired
I have 2 Mission SP-1 pedals. There's a tension hex screw at the back to tighten the pedal in the heel position. One of my pedals needs to be tightened because if I shift it to the heel position, it will drift to the toe. Unfortunately, I don't still have the hex screw provided with the pedal. Anyone have anysuggestions on a tool to get there?

Last edited:
I don't have the SP-1 but have 2 EP-1s which can't be that different when looking from the back. I got an Allen key (or hex wrench) included from Mission when I opened the box - it's a longer one than normal ones so reaches the screw no problem.

Design Flaw = You lost your hex key

I love that!

You can get a set of Allen keys from pretty much any DIY store.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk

Design Flaw = You lost your hex key

I love that!

You can get a set of Allen keys from pretty much any DIY store.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk

Design flaw may be a bit much, but it could have been designed to accept a standard hex wrench/allen wrench (like you and quonsar suggested). You see, the one's you can get at "pretty much any DIY store" won't work, they're too long (on the short part of the "L"). There's a protrusion on the inside of the top of the pedal to accomodate a rubber pad. It's directly in line with the screw. If it had been designed on either (or both) corners of the top of the pedal, there would have been plenty of room for a standard allen wrench. As it is, I suppose I'll just guess on the size of the opening (since I can't get one in there), put my best guess in a vice and use a hack saw to cut it down to size to make it fit. I wonder what the difference in cost would have been to add a second spot and second rubber pad at the corners. They could have shipped them without the special allen wrench because any old allen wrench would have fit.

I had the same problem - I don't remember the included hex wrench looking any different than a regular one and I just threw it in with my other ones. The main problem is that the screw is partially blocked by the rubber pad. I might try removing the pad and gluing one on the bottom - should accomplish same thing without blocking the opening of the screw. Any way, I've used this which works well - http://www.lowes.com/pd_22818-56766-22818_4294857616+4294965883_3_?productId=1207699&Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl_Screwdrivers%2BNut%2BDrivers_4294857616%2B4294965883_3_%3FNs%3Dp_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&facetInfo=Kobalt

It's a got a ball end to the driver which lets you use it at an angle. Also includes a handle for extra torque which works well. The 9/64 driver fit perfectly and made adjustments easy.

Part of the problem I had was that the little plate that holds the tension system to the base of the pedal was bent. (I guess this happened while engaging the switch in the toe position). I was wrong in my first post, I have 3 of the Mission pedals (another SP-1 and an EP-1). Believe it or not, I use all 3 during shows (I know - a few too many complicated presets - LOL). The EP-1 started having the same problem (tension dropping). I was able to remove the rubber pad (like you mentioned) and get a wrench in there. The trouble was with only a small turn, I was getting too much tension. I couldn't get a good middle ground. I guess I'm too hard on my pedals. That was enough for me with the Mission pedals (that and I wrote them 3 or 4 emails asking for help and didn't get a response). I'm trying the Boss EV500H's now. So far I'm very happy. The range on these pedals is much better than on the Mission's. We'll see if they can put up with my abuse. If I could just get my Auto Engage issue sorted out...

Customer Service is normally pretty good at dealing with questions re tension adjustment. I am concerned if someone emailed 3 or 4 times with no response. I took a look through the last few weeks emails and did not see anything unanswered. Email address is info@mission-engineering.com. I'll look out for it if you want to try again.

Customer Service is normally pretty good at dealing with questions re tension adjustment. I am concerned if someone emailed 3 or 4 times with no response. I took a look through the last few weeks emails and did not see anything unanswered. Email address is info@mission-engineering.com. I'll look out for it if you want to try again.

If it were my business I'd be concerned if someone emailed once and got no response.

Back
Top Bottom