Mission Pedals: to spring or not to spring, that is the question...

EDIT: I looked in my parts bin, found the inner tube I originally cut up :) It says "Axiom - MADE IN TAIWAN 1.9 / 2.125". Just now I cut a new 1" cross section, used 3 fingers from each hand to stretch as hard as I can pull with all my strength to try to snap it.. it wont snap! It does reach a point where it won't stretch out any further.

It occurs to me that not all tube brands would necessarily be the same rubber compound or stretch out in the same predictable way, so your mileage may vary considerably. Mine luckily worked perfect first try!

I ended up layering 3 cross sections around the heel of the pedal to make the tension a little tighter for my liking.

Both my pedals have been perfect ever since, still going strong with the same inner tube sections from when I made that video 3 + years ago. I never kept the blue rubber bands on long enough to determine longevity, but I'd suspect the bike tube is way better quality rubber.
I got a 2.75 tube today and it's working. But, it's really tight. it will probably snap. I may have to go to a bike shop and something even bigger. I am using an EV-1 which is real wide in the front. I agree that the bike tube is the way to go and will last longer. Perhaps Fractal will come up with a spring kit for their pedals.

No spring and auto-bypass set to 95% works for me. Had the Mission Cry-Baby style with spring for about a week before selling it. Replaced with a springless one. My foot's muscle memory gets along with the new pedal and no toe switch better than it did with working against the spring, and the spring made the Schenker-style cocked-wah filter trick a screaming PITA to do....

After more trial and error than I am ready to admit to, the tube size needed for an EV-1 pedal is 4". Slides on easy, returns the pedal back to heel down nicely, and stays in place. The 2.75 did not snap, but it was so tight that it would move and eventually slide off the pedal. Mystery solved, 4".

Back
Top Bottom