Mission Pedals: to spring or not to spring, that is the question...

touch33

Experienced
FINALLY ordering my first XL+ tomorrow, and from what I’ve seen here the Mission Eng. expression pedals are a popular choice. Questions:
1) best Mission models?
2) spring or no spring - why or why not?
3) considering an RJM GT-16/22 soon - does that change which pedal(s) to buy now?
Many Thanks,
Bruce

Spring....so when you have it set to auto-engage, it goes right back into full heel position when you're done using it, and shuts off the wah/wammy. (assuming you are using it for that)

No toe click (if Mission offers that...I can't remember).

+ 1 for the spring.
Have my standard and spring loaded pedals for aprox' 3 years I think, its the only 2 parts in my pedalboard I never replaced.
So many houres of use by now, the spring is da shizzle :D
I wish Fractal had a spring loaded version of their pedal.

I'm old school... I use a switch model, so for me the spring makes no sense, being I do not use auto-engage.

Plus it allow me to leave pedal cocked at a certain degree if needed. My pedal is being used multi functionally with different effects depending on the preset I use.

That's my preference, however, it really comes down to your personal application of the pedal. So you really need to envision what's right for your use and what will suite your needs.

Last edited:
I prefer the unsprung models, no switch. If you're going to use one for volume, wah or rate (delay/chorus/flanger/vibrato), you often want the thing to stay where you set it. I have 4 mission pedals on my board, and only one of them is sprung, which I use for pitch bend because I can't imagine not wanting that to return to normal.

Depends, you want to be able to set the pedal fixed on a certain position, then no spring. If you don't want to go to toe position first when you engage the pedal and don't care about fixed positions, spring it is.

FWIW, I'm a springman al the way, so my Mission pedal are springloaded. In combinatiion with my Axe FX this is hands down the best expressionpedal I ever owned, not the mention the most flexable. It can turn midsong from a wah into a whammy into whatever I want it to be.....

Another vote for both the spring loaded and the switchless... For Wah/Whammy, the spring loaded is perfect. And auto-engage pretty much eliminates the need for a switching pedal whether or not you have a spring.

The EP-1 is the pedal you want :)

Reactions: BBN
A spring-loaded, switchless Mission is still the only foot-controlled CC option on my MFC-101 board. I bought it because I wanted something that felt like my old Bad Horsie 2 wah from my analog rig. It does. I like that I can "bounce" the pedal under my foot and then take my foot off and it's back to bypassed.

I have an EV-1 I'll put on the floor next to the MFC board from time to time that controls other, weird things. And my AX8 rig has two EV-2s on it. The EVs are stellar pedals.

Reactions: BBN
A spring-loaded, switchless Mission is still the only foot-controlled CC option on my MFC-101 board. I bought it because I wanted something that felt like my old Bad Horsie 2 wah from my analog rig. It does. I like that I can "bounce" the pedal under my foot and then take my foot off and it's back to bypassed.

I have an EV-1 I'll put on the floor next to the MFC board from time to time that controls other, weird things. And my AX8 rig has two EV-2s on it. The EVs are stellar pedals.
The bounce is a cool technique!

I started doing when I had a Bad Horsie 2 as well, then continued on with a Dunlop 95Q (the Dunlop switchless Wah).

Going from that to the spring loaded EP-1 was very natural... I just needed to do some tweaking of the wah settings to match it up.

I love the bounce.....watching Via do that during The Audience Is Listening is why I first wanted spring loaded.

I love the bounce.....watching Via do that during The Audience Is Listening is why I first wanted spring loaded.
Funny... I never knew that. I thought I invented that myself... But it seems so obvious to do it once you realize you can:)

Hey, Mod -
I see this thread has been moved to the MFC/“Other MIDI Controllers” area - even though the Mission expression pedals in general and/or my question regarding same has zero to do with MIDI. Please educate me on how this move is appropriate so I can avoid making the same mistake again.
Bruce

FINALLY ordering my first XL+ tomorrow, and from what I’ve seen here the Mission Eng. expression pedals are a popular choice. Questions:
1) best Mission models?
2) spring or no spring - why or why not?
3) considering an RJM GT-16/22 soon - does that change which pedal(s) to buy now?
Many Thanks,
Bruce

If you get the RJM then get the mission pedal with the LED in it which will correspond to an external switch on the mastermind:
https://missionengineering.com/shop-2/products/expression/specific-use-exp/sp1-rjm/?v=79cba1185463

I'd highly recommend the Mastermind GT/16. Only thing is I wish i saved a bit more and got the GT/22!!

Honestly, this works so well and is so dead simple I wouldn't buy a spring loaded Mission. I'd just get a regular one and try this, easy to revert if you don't like it.

What size tube are you using? The largest tube I could get at Target was a 2.125. It snapped immediately.

Go to a bike store and get a mountain bike “fat” tube. Cut the tube wider and wider if necessary until it fits and lasts. Then again, go to the grocery store and buy some broccoli. Usually has wide blue rubber bands, and it’s good for you!

I have rubber bands on it now. They keep drying out and popping. I have a 2.75 tube coming from Amazon, hopefully that will work. Broccoli is not my favorite, maybe I can feed it to the dog under the table.

What size tube are you using? The largest tube I could get at Target was a 2.125. It snapped immediately.
EDIT: I looked in my parts bin, found the inner tube I originally cut up :) It says "Axiom - MADE IN TAIWAN 1.9 / 2.125". Just now I cut a new 1" cross section, used 3 fingers from each hand to stretch as hard as I can pull with all my strength to try to snap it.. it wont snap! It does reach a point where it won't stretch out any further.

It occurs to me that not all tube brands would necessarily be the same rubber compound or stretch out in the same predictable way, so your mileage may vary considerably. Mine luckily worked perfect first try!

I ended up layering 3 cross sections around the heel of the pedal to make the tension a little tighter for my liking.

Both my pedals have been perfect ever since, still going strong with the same inner tube sections from when I made that video 3 + years ago. I never kept the blue rubber bands on long enough to determine longevity, but I'd suspect the bike tube is way better quality rubber.

Attachments

• IMG_4592.JPG
    IMG_4592.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom