Teej

I decided my Alto TS speakers just do not cut it when jamming with the rest of a band. No matter how much EQing I do on the output, they just don't sound right. As luck would have it, work gave me a sizable bonus so I've gone and invested in some true FRFR gear. I already have the Matrix GT1000FX 1U I ordered, but I'm still waiting on my Mission Gemini cab. I went with the separate amp and speaker in case I decide to someday stick to regular guitar cabs. I ordered my cab on Dec 31, so my order didn't really get through until the following Monday. I found out then that it can take up to 10 business days for Mission to build your order. I was fine with that, but then I got an email from James at Mission stating that they were having a problem with a parts supplier, and that it would take another 10 days to get the parts in. That bummed me out, but he offered to send me the new Studio Edition of the Gemini cab for no extra charge since they could send one of those within a day (they must have been building some ahead). You can't even buy the passive version of the G2 SE from their site yet! Same power handling, but has better damping and looks like an old school Marshall cab with bronze grillcloth. James said they are going to sell for about $100 more, so looks like I may have scored! Talk about real customer service! I can't wait to try it out, but it has to be shipped from CA to WI via Ground, so I probably won't see it until next Wednesday or so. I'll report back here when I get it and give you guys the scoop on this new model. In the meantime, how have your guys' experiences been with Mission and their products?

Last edited:
I ordered my cab on Jan 31
That's amazing! Are you Doc Brown? :D

Love Mission stuff and I stereo Gemini cab is certainly at the top of my gear lust list these days. Looking forward to your review of the SE edition.

That's amazing! Are you Doc Brown? :D

Love Mission stuff and I stereo Gemini cab is certainly at the top of my gear lust list these days. Looking forward to your review of the SE edition.
Great Scott! I meant to say Dec 31st. Time is flying by too quickly lately and I have no idea what month I'm in any more!

So I got the SE cab yesterday, and so far its great! It's not quite as flat as I expected so a little global EQ was needed to take the bass frequencies down a touch and to bring the highs up a bit. It was really boomy upon plugging in. What I really love about the cab is that it puts out that elusive "amp in the room" feel. I fired up the preset I use in my band, which is a fairly straight-forward Cameron CCV sound, and I couldn't believe how powerful and chunky palm mutes sounded/felt. The higher strings lacked some clarity at first, but as I said, I adjusted the highs on the global EQ and that cleared things up. Also, giving the cab more power really opens things up, although that may be the doing of the Matrix GT1000FX. On top of it all, the SE version looks real slick. It reminds me of a Friedman cab. One word of warning though: this thing is HEAVY. It is definitely over 70lbs, and I think the regular version of the 2-P is around 60. It does have a really strong handle on top but it is very awkward to carry. I think Mission should look into side handles.

I'm gonna give it an 8/10, only docking it for weight/transport and its not-quite-flat-ness. Mission customer service gets a 10/10; they were very accommodating.

Quick update: I took the 2-P SE/GT1000FX rig to band practice yesterday and it absolutely rips in a full band setting. I was easily keeping up in the mix with the other guitarist (and sometimes overtaking him), who's using a JCM900 and an 80s Marshall 2x12 cab. It sounds very natural and my bandmates were excited to "finally hear me," haha.

I have the powered Gemini 2 cab and really like it also. Definite cab in the room feel even if it's just my imagination. I had 2 CLR's before I bought the Gemini. They were really nice too but I never missed them.

Back
Top Bottom