Mission Expression Pedal w/toe-switch with FX8?

First post here, but I've been reading a lot about the FX8.
I have a used FX8 on the way. It was a little more than a new one, but I needed something right away.

I have a Mission EP-11-S expression pedal. It was all that Sweetwater had in stock when I bought my H9.
This expression pedal has a toe-switch built in.
Mission Engineering Inc EP-11-S Expression Pedal for Eleven Rack | Sweetwater.com

My question is, can I use the toe-switch for anything with the FX8? I don't really have any set use in mind, but I was wondering what my options are.
Say, if I wanted to use the switch to toggle the Wah on/off, or toggle between a Volume and a Wah that I would use the expression pedal with.

Thanks in advance,
Andy

I'm interested in knowing this as well as I have an SP-1. Although, with auto-engage option to turn the wah on and off, I'm not sure I would ever use the toe switch for anything.

Because the two outputs are separate (one for pedal, one for switch), yes - you could use the switch for anything by plugging it into the Exp 2 jack.

If a mission expression pedal with a toe switch could be used to toggle between the volume pedal and wah (like with the POD HD500X I have), that would be great. Then I could ditch one of my expression pedals. Anxious to hear the final verdict on this.

If a mission expression pedal with a toe switch could be used to toggle between the volume pedal and wah (like with the POD HD500X I have), that would be great. Then I could ditch one of my expression pedals. Anxious to hear the final verdict on this.

have you heard about auto-engage? no switch to push, just move the pedal past 5% of either extreme. much faster than a switch.

on the FX8, i think to make that SP1 switch between Volume and Wah, you'd have to use a Volume block, and not the "global" volume options mentioned in the manual. using up a block instance just for volume might be a waste, and auto-engage might be a better solution.

however, once you set the pedal to a "global" volume, i don't think it can be used for anything else anyway (since it's global).

here is a video i made for the Axe-Fx, and the same options should be available on the FX8, again using a Volume block instead of global:

i'll think if there's a way to use global volume, yet also use the pedal for something else (but i don't think there is). you might just have to use 2 separate pedals if you want global volume and wah. i'll think though!

Right now I have an EV-1 set up as a global volume pedal and the Mission set up as my wah using the auto-engage feature. I'd love to swap them both out for a single Mission pedal with a toe switch to handle double futy. I just can't find a way.

have you heard about auto-engage? no switch to push, just move the pedal past 5% of either extreme. much faster than a switch.

on the FX8, i think to make that SP1 switch between Volume and Wah, you'd have to use a Volume block, and not the "global" volume options mentioned in the manual. using up a block instance just for volume might be a waste, and auto-engage might be a better solution.

however, once you set the pedal to a "global" volume, i don't think it can be used for anything else anyway (since it's global).

here is a video i made for the Axe-Fx, and the same options should be available on the FX8, again using a Volume block instead of global:

i'll think if there's a way to use global volume, yet also use the pedal for something else (but i don't think there is). you might just have to use 2 separate pedals if you want global volume and wah. i'll think though!

Thanks! Years ago, I had a Bad Horsie II Wah pedal. I loved it, with the exception of.....
When the pedal was too far in the "Toe-Up" position, the Wah effect would turn off.
When the pedal was pressed again, it would naturally turn itself back on, but there was a weird (although very short) sound that I could never quite put my finger on.
I used the pedal for about 5 years. It was the best Wah I had ever used......until I got a Fulltone Clyde Deluxe! I've had the Clyde Deluxe for longer than I've had any amp or guitar, almost 10 years. In fact, I've been wondering about using the Clyde in front of the FX8 when it gets here.

Not sure what I would even use the Toe Switch for, but since I have it, I was wondering if there was something cool I could do with it.

I have an SP-1 and like the toe switch for a couple of things:

1- I have a couple of sounds that require two blocks, for example for my "ray gun" I used Larry Mitchell's preset (a chorus block), but then added a delay block so I could use the expression pedal to control speed (the chorus speed wouldn't go fast enough).
2- I actually prefer the toe switch to turn on/off my wah sound. I too have used a Clyde for years and with this, the Mission/FX8 clyde wah sounds and feels identical.

I have an SP-1 and like the toe switch for a couple of things:

1- I have a couple of sounds that require two blocks, for example for my "ray gun" I used Larry Mitchell's preset (a chorus block), but then added a delay block so I could use the expression pedal to control speed (the chorus speed wouldn't go fast enough).
2- I actually prefer the toe switch to turn on/off my wah sound. I too have used a Clyde for years and with this, the Mission/FX8 clyde wah sounds and feels identical.

Perfect, thanks!

I just caught this part.......
Good to know that the Wahs are that good! The Clyde Deluxe is just so silent and smooth. I've tried tons of vintage Vox, Crybaby, etc., I keep coming back to the Clyde. I did like the Budda Wah though!

I think I would still like to figure out how to toggle between Volume and Wah with the toe switch. That would free up quite a bit of pedalboard space for me.
Or....I could really tricky and toggle between Whammy and Wah while using the auto-sense for the Wah......

Pretty sure you can do that. It allows you to set the on and off modes so I'd guess that if you set the wah for on-off and the volume for off-on, it would work.

Pretty sure you can do that. It allows you to set the on and off modes so I'd guess that if you set the wah for on-off and the volume for off-on, it would work.

Thanks! I'll give it a try this afternoon.
I also want to try the Whammy thing. I'm wondering if I can set the toggle for Whammy On/Off, Wah Off/On, and use Auto-Sense for the Wah.
I'm guessing that I can only use one or the other method for turning Wah on.
Maybe Whammy On/Off, Wah On/Off (or Y setting which would be bypassed) for the Toe Switch, so that the Wah is not turned on when the Whammy is turned off?

Guess it would be easiest to have Volume/Wah for most of the Scenes, and use the Whammy/Volume for a different scene......
So many choices, I'm loving it!

Yes...as far as I know you can only use one. I'm confused...Are you gonna use whammy and wah at the same time from the same cc pedal?

Auto sense for both, or toe switch for one and auto sense the other makes the most sense to me.

Assuming you mean presets where you've said scenes, as I don't think you can x/y modifiers...

Sorry for the confusion.
I was thinking it would be cool to switch between Whammy and Wah.
My thought was that when I turn the Whammy ON, the expression pedal would change the pitch.
When I turn the Whammy OFF, I didn't want it to necessarily turn the Wah ON. This way, the Auto-Sense would work when in Wah mode, but I wouldn't have the constant notch tone.
Still not sure that makes sense.

Thinking about it though.....It might be cool to have a Scene where the Wah had a touch of Whammy on it. Say, a slight pitch change when sweeping through the Wah.
I gotta get done with this work thing so I can mess with the FX8!!!!!

Can this pedal work for exp pedal 1, then when you engage the switch, it works as expression pedal 2? This is kind of the way it worked on the HD500. I am wondering if that would be effective for the FX8 as it would take up less real estate than 2 pedals. A problem I can foresee is that there is no way to tell which 'pedal' is active...

What ever came of your ideas, Monsta-Tone?? I'm a totally distracted and wonderfully overwhelmed newbie who also has a MissionEp-11-S... Curious about your way/whammy notion... Success? (Heck, I'm still plugging things in and figuring basic things out)

Back
Top Bottom