Mission EP1 Expression Pedal - Touch (Wah) Mod

glombi

Inspired
Hi,

I just finished a little mod that I want to share, even though I'm not sure how reliable this will be. But maybe you have some proposals, how to improve this. It's not AX8 specific, but I use it together with my AX8...

In my analog rig I use a G-Lab WoWee-Wah that I really love. It sounds perfect. But most important, I only need to place my foot on it, to activate it. The standard toe switch simply dosen't work for me.

For my AX8 I got a Mission EP-1 expression pedal to control the wah block. It looks nice, it's robust and does perfectly what it is intended for. But I don't like the auto on function with the AX8. When I'm near the heel position, the wah turns off, although I would like to use it in this position also.

So I put a toe switch an a TS socket into the pedal, but as already said, that's also not perfect for me.

So after a lot of thoughts and different approaches I today finished a mod that implements a touch switch into the EP-1 (or let's say SP-1, as it has a toe switch now).

I put in another switch to be able to select between toe or touch switch in order to activate the wah. That was done quickly.

IMG_3263.JPG

But the realization of the touch switch gave me a hard time. The switch should have a short stroke and be robust. Also I didn't want to modify the pedal to much mechanically. Finally I only had to drill two small holes in the rocker of the pedal.

So then I found some very small SMD micro switches. I soldered four of them (to improve the reliability of the switching function) to a PCB. A also placed some rubber stoppers to relieve the switches from the weight of my leg.

IMG_3283.JPG

IMG_3281.JPG

The I placed an aluminium plate on top that is guided by two studs that fit into the two holes already present in the rocker of the pedal.

IMG_3284.JPG

After refitting the rubber it doesn't look that much different. But now the TS out is connected to "Pedal 2" which is set to latching mode. I had to reverse the on/off parameters in the controller for the bypass mode. Now I only need to place my foot on top to activate it, and take it off to turn it off. I still can use the toe switch or the auto on/off alternatively.

IMG_3288.JPG

I'm very happy and hope that it will work for a long time. Maybe this idea is interesting for some of you, or some of you have ideas how to further improve this, especially regarding robustness.

glombi

Cool idea!

Did you try to find any kind of pressure switch? I'd think there must be something ready-made that would work.

Did you try to find any kind of pressure switch?

Yes, I searched the net for all kinds of ready-made alternatives extensively (capacitive contacts, door mats with contacts, ...). Actually I looked for a passive contact that doesn't need a power supply. Also I did not have the WoWee-Wah handy to check how it's contact is realized. But I'm still curious to hear about ready-made solutions...

Yes, I searched the net for all kinds of ready-made alternatives extensively (capacitive contacts, door mats with contacts, ...). Actually I looked for a passive contact that doesn't need a power supply. Also I did not have the WoWee-Wah handy to check how it's contact is realized. But I'm still curious to hear about ready-made solutions...
Post an update if you find anything. Your solution is quite creative but I wonder about the durability of your switches.

Back
Top Bottom