Mission EP-1: spring loaded or not for wah auto-engage

adew

Inspired
Still in early stages of getting to grips with the Axe FX2 and haven't even unboxed the MF101 yet. :)

I already have a Mission EP-1. Will this work fine with the wah auto engage feature, or do I need the spring-loaded version? Sorry if this is a stupid question... :?

Thanks!

It will work fine, some people like the spring loaded version for "feel". Some people like the Mission SP-1 with the switch so you can off/on the WAH just like on an old cry baby for example.

Be sure to have proper cables, TRS to TRS

I've used spring loaded pedals and auto-engage since before mission existed, for me it works perfectly as not having a switch to press is one less thing for me to have to think about when playing. I currently run a mission spring loaded and it's perfect in every way.

Spence

Still in early stages of getting to grips with the Axe FX2 and haven't even unboxed the MF101 yet. :)
I already have a Mission EP-1. Will this work fine with the wah auto engage feature, or do I need the spring-loaded version? Sorry if this is a stupid question... :?Thanks!

Not a stupid question at all.

As has been mentioned, what you're used to is worth considering. Some skills are hard-won.

But, the "auto-engage" feature is really nice. You don't have to worry about the pedal at all. Use it when you want the effect, get off it when you don't. Very simple. It'll turn itself on/off, and the time it takes to do that is adjustable.

As for spring-loading, I'd pass on it. On some presets, you may want to turn the "auto-engage" off and leave the pedal in a particular position, for tone control purposes. Brian May used to do that, among others.

I owned several Mission pedals and I like the spring-loaded one best.
Of course it's not useful when using the pedal for volume and stuff.

Reactions: LVC
Thanks for all the replies!

I'm used to using a Crybaby with G-Lab True Bypass Wah pad, so I think my EP-1 will be fine. I was just a little worried in case the auto-engage feature requires the pedal starting in a heel down position or something. However, based on what I've read and the above replies, it seems I was worrying about nothing. :)

Yes - I have the necessary TRS-TRS cable.

Cheers all!

I also have three mission pedals. One is spring loaded. Having tried a wah both ways, I like the spring option. It's nice to park the wah sometimes without a spring, but knowing it's off with a spring at all times when your foot is off, is even better than a click switch. HTH

Last edited:
The spring feature is very nice, but auto engage also works just fine using a normal pedal as well. Just return the pedal to full heel down and it shuts it off, which might be a bit of a change if your used to using a toe switch crybaby style pedal, but certainly something you can get used to using. I do like the spring myself as its even better for dedicated wah usage, but if you want a more versatile overall pedal, going for a SP1 or EP1 and using either a switch or auto engage still works great too, and can let the pedal serve as a volume etc controller as well.

I'd say bottom line, if you plan on getting 2+ pedals, get one with spring though, its a cool feature

After looking at one of Chris' videos I decided to get two of the Mission pedals; one normal EP1 and one SP1 (the one with the toe switch). I like the idea of having the pedal act as a volume pedal and then when you engage the toe switch, it becomes a wah. Generally speaking, whilst I've always had a volume pedal, it's always either toe down or heel down, so this works for me. The other pedal I'll use to control "something" in real time when the mood takes me.

I think you're on a winner with or without the spring load option.

The spring feature is very nice, but auto engage also works just fine using a normal pedal as well. Just return the pedal to full heel down and it shuts it off, which might be a bit of a change if your used to using a toe switch crybaby style pedal, but certainly something you can get used to using.
Ah! I'm learning something new... So, to shut off the wah it needs to be fully heel down, yes?

As mentioned earlier, I'm used to using a Crybaby mounted on a G-Lab True Bypass Wah Pad - foot on the treadle, wah engages, lift foot off, wah disengages. Therefore, to get close to what I'm used to, it sounds like I need the spring loaded version.

I use a Mission SP-2 to conserve pedal board space. I don't use a spring loaded pedal, and set the auto engage where toe-down is "off." This work well for me if I switch to a preset where I'm using a volume control as it is already at max (I wouldn't want it heel down, or off, there) and I can leave it toe down going back to most presets where the wah is present so it will be off. Works nicely this way.

This works well for me, but it will more matter what you do with yours to decide. For mine, no spring works best.

For wah I like the spring loaded you can just walk away and its off,that vers moving the pedal back to heal position. No big deal
Its cool to step on it use it walk away

For wah I like the spring loaded you can just walk away and its off,that vers moving the pedal back to heal position. No big deal
Its cool to step on it use it walk away

Toe up/toe down isn't what it's looking for; it's looking for a rate of change. You can leave the pedal in any position, and it'll turn off in X amount of time if it isn't used, and X amount of time if it is. X is variable, and adjustable to several different settings. There's some difference in response time for on/off, but I've never measured it. So, you don't need a spring to return it to any particular position.

Toe up/toe down isn't what it's looking for; it's looking for a rate of change. You can leave the pedal in any position, and it'll turn off in X amount of time if it isn't used, and X amount of time if it is. X is variable, and adjustable to several different settings. There's some difference in response time for on/off, but I've never measured it. So, you don't need a spring to return it to any particular position.

No, to disengage it has to be in the off zone, determined by the Off Value.

Cliff stated that engaging (not disengaging) is speed-based but it's not working with CCs as far as I can tell, and there might be something funny about the pedal port too. More details here: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-bugs/68117-random-autoengage-w-pedal-source.html#post879527

For those that are interested, I did buy a spring loaded EP-1 for wah. It's great and, as others mentioned in this thread, the spring is really good for auto on/off wah. All I need now is to figure out a modifier curve which gives me the feel/response I look for in a wah...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom