Mission Engineering Sp-1 Frustration

rnjscooter

Power User
Good evening all.

I have been frustrated since day one with my SP-1 pedal by Mission Engineering. I have to press beyond any pressure I have ever encountered just to get the switch to engage for my Wah block. I met Jim at NAMM in January and told me I could take a washer out from inside, which I did with little results. Also the pedal itself is just too tight and squeaks ALWAYS. He showed me the allen bolt under the pedal, of which I have not been able to find or buy a wrench long enough to give me the leverage needed to get the bolt moving. Did I mention it SQUEAKS?

I am so frustrated and I have 3 gigs in succession coming up. I need help. In to know where the squeak is coming from and how to resolve, I need an allen wrench long enough to get the leverage to turn the bolt so I can set the level of tightness to my liking. and that has to happen before me even thinking of how to get the pedal to press on the switch with ease. I mean I have to put ALL my weight on it to engage. So frustrating.

Thanks for listening..............................

The squeak needs an allen wrench, but the switch can be sorted with a small rubber pad, like you would remove from the corner of an fx pedal when fitting velcro. Just stick it to the underside of the treadle directly above the switch.
This way you wont have to go inside the pedal if you dont want to.

the SP1 should have come with a wrench to adjust that tension. wd-40 should work to stop the noise.

Why not just exchange it for the one with the Spring option? Then no noise & no pressure.

My pedals had the opposite issue -- the piece of felt under the toe end of the pedal was so thick that it would click the switch all the time when the pedal was rocked forward.

My suggestion is to check under the lip of the pedal and see how thick the felt spacer is on your pedal, then get some small round stick-on furniture felt pads and either replace or add to/boost the one in the pedal until you get the desired action. The thickness of the pads can be trimmed with an exacto knife if needed (that's what I did.)

Regarding the squeaking, there really are only a couple of moving parts -- I'd guess the pivot points of the pedal would be the most likely culprits. You could try WD-40 or teflon spray.

TT

Hey man, maybe you could take the rubber stoppers where the actual click switch is off the pedal! This is what I did with my Cry Baby so I didn't have to push down so hard. Doing this just gives you an easy and simple "CLICK" and you'll know for sure it's in. (This may not work with Mission SP1s). It's the same design as a Cry Baby though? Give it a shot.

Hmm, I may try that, I would then have to recalibrate the pedal since it wouldn't press down as far. thanks for your thoughts!

Didn't come in my shipment. And Jim never mentioned it at NAMM. I will try some Watchya doin hon?-40, just not sure where I'll be spraying. Thanks Chris!

Were your pedals Mission? For the amount of money being spent you would think their quality control would be better

I have 2 Mission pedals. I switched to the FAS Expression pedal. WAY better quality and performance. I am as happy as a tick in a dog kennel.

Instead of removing the rubber stopper, slice a little off so it shorter.

Use a pair of pliers on the Allen wrench to give you the additional leverage.

Apply silicone on the contact points.

ya I wouldn't mind checking one out but FAS doesn't make a switched Pedal so I can use it as a volume and a wah?

Have an EP-1 I bought new from Mission several months back. Squeaked something awful from day one. I found the tension adjustment (7/64's allen head bolt under the pedal on the heel side) and tried loosening it a bit. That got rid of the squeak but the pedal wouldn't stay put and would just flop onto the toe side all the time. Finally shot some WD40 in on the offending squeaky area and that cured it. I still like the pedal, but the FAS EV-1 I also have is my fave so far.

Duct tape and WD40......where would we be as a civilization without them?

Sorry I am not sure how auto engage functions with the sp-1. I must be missing something. the switch needs to be pressed to engage from volume to wah

Back
Top Bottom