Mission Engineering Gemini Cabs

I have one and really like it. I find it comparable to the CLR (have one also) and am really enjoying the form factor of it looking more like a traditional guitar cab. It's been plenty loud for me - fills the room fantastically in a bar-type scenario. I think you get a little more of that cabinet sound, even in full FRFR mode.

yeah, i was wondering if it would blur the line a bit between the CLR/FRFR thing and bit more of a cab feel. i really like the form factor as well. looks really classy.

And what can you program via EmpowerDSP? "graphic EQ, crossover values, input and output gain, driver delays, pretty much every value is programmable:)"

Hey all! Fairly new to the forum. I tend to lurk and study but was reading this thread and thought I'd say hello and pose a question...

I have had my Axe-FX for a little over 3 months now and absolutely LOVE it! One of the best investments I have ever made. I'm a casual guitarist that also plays keys and vocals. I have yet to invest in a new setup for my live sound and have been leaning in the direction of either a pair of active Gemini 1s, CLRs, or QSC K12s. Reasoning behind those choices are the ability to run both my Kronos and Axe-FX directly to them eliminating the need for a mixer and getting as clean a sound as possible. I noticed in most posts that the CLR seems to be the "go to" for the Axe-FX, *Edit - and thank you to ropas2 for the added info I missed* Just based on aesthetics alone the Gemini totally wins out, and not much more than the CLR. The K12s seem like a solid, less expensive choice, but I have played through them and they seem to be a little grainy or maybe high-pitched to my ear.

So my questions are: Has anyone worked with the Gemini or CLR in the same type of stereo setup using multiple instruments at the same time? Would anyone recommend one over the other, or have another option? I do have a mixer that I could run, but I don't like the idea of having to EQ another piece and I wouldn't be playing for more than maybe a 200 capacity club very often.

Appreciate any insight or advice! \m/ \m/

Last edited:
Thank you ropas2 - complete oversight on my part and have edited the OP. That just adds another issue...how the hell do I choose!? I want my Kronos to ring through just as beautiful as it sounds and have the ability to run my guitar utilizing the Cab sims on the Axe-FX. My only concern is overloading the speakers with too much at once.

**Update**

So after contacting support for both Atomic and Mission I wanted to add some notes here for anyone else considering the same scenario. I sent the same question to both companies: "I have an Axe-FX, but I also have a Korg Kronos that I use for my instrumental tracks. How would the *Gemini/CLR* hold up running both the Axe-FX and the Kronos at the same time? Would it have enough power to run both without overloading? I know how it reproduces the Axe-FX, but would it reproduce the amazing sound and clarity that the Kronos produces? My thought would be to purchase two and run stereo (left outs to one, right outs to the other) unless you would recommend another option."

-Atomic: I emailed support at 2:26pm. I received a reply at 2:39 from Tom King himself completely addressing each of my questions. "They would indeed be able to handle the Kronos and Axe-FX at the same time. The Kronos will sound amazing! There are even two independent inputs if you want to separate them without the need for a mixer." - This is exactly what I am looking for and huge thank you to Tom for the response and great customer service.

-Mission: I emailed support at 2:19pm and received the first response from "Mission Support" at 4:40pm. "Gemini 1 has a single analog input, a USB audio interface, and a Bluetooth wireless interface when that option is selected which can be used simultaneously via the internal mixer. There is no problem in theory running multiple signals through the Gemini at the same time, in the same way that you can run multiple signals through a PA. My question would be how are you intending to connect the Axe-Fx and Kronos to the Gemini(s) at the sane time, would you use an external mixer?" - This didn't really answer any of my questions, just kind of raised my eyebrow a bit.

I received another response at 4:43pm giving me another option that I was not considering: "One way to do this if you are not using an external mixer, would be to use a Gemini 2 and connect the Axe-Fx to one side and the Kronos to the other. Gemini 2 has two independent channels." - So this really got me questioning what the Gemini 1 was all about. Their product page and picture clearly show two XLR-1/4" combo jacks and a USB port. I replied at 5:10pm: "I'm confused. The description page shows: I/O Input 1 – Combo XLR-1/4″ TRS jack line input (mono or stereo) Input 2 – Combo XLR-1/4″ TS jack instrument input. And the pictures show Input 1 and Input 2 - Would I not be able to run 1 line form my Axe-FX and 1 line from my Kronos to the same Gemini?" I received the next response at 6:20pm "Input 2 is the analog input into the USB audio interface. It's for connecting an instrument when using Gemini with PC or Mac based software such as Protools or Logic. Mission Support" - So what this means is that while you can connect another instrument to "input 2" it will not play out of the speaker, only out to whatever your USB is connected to.

In summary: If anyone out there is looking to run two instruments into one monitor without the use of a mixer, based on the 3 products (QSC, Atomic, Mission) it seems in regards to product quality, other reviews, and customer service level alone that Atomic is the clear winner for me. The QSCs never gave me that "I love that sound" feeling, and while you have an option with Mission in the 2x12 Gemini 2. For me the 2x12 doesn't work as I only need (2) 1x12s setup in stereo(I want my pans to truly pan L/R). Sorry for the long winded comment but I hope someone finds the info useful.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I realize this is an old post. Im not too technical or have much stage experience.
But Ive been struggling with deciding whether to get a Gemini 2 with (2 12" speakers) or 2 Gemini 1s. What do you think is a better configuration for a Live gig where you want to be able to fill up the room and play over the drums?

Would 2 Gemini 1s give me the same output as 1 Gemini 2? I thought getting 2 Gemini 1s would give me more flexibility for different live configurations but want to make sure I wouldnt be giving up anything that I could have got out of the Gemini 2.

Back
Top Bottom