Mission Control

GM Arts

Fractal Fanatic
I started designing a MIDI Controller for the AxeFX last year and later built a prototype with plastic switches in a wooden box. It helped identify a couple of minor changes I wanted and now I have my ... MISSION CONTROL

[attachment=0:g1410gu9]mission_control.jpg[/attachment:g1410gu9]
My metal working skills are fairly poor, but I cut down an empty 1RU case and added 18 footswitches & LEDs. I still need to do some labelling and tidying up on the top panel. Here's a quick overview, with more detail here: http://users.sa.chariot.net.au/~gmarts/mfc/mission_control.htm

- 8 x Program Changes
- 6 x CC toggles (IAs) across the top
- 1 x Shift toggle that gives up to another 8 x PCs and 6 x CCs
- 1 x Tap
- 2 x Hold switches (momentary) which connect to the AxeFX Pedal1 & Pedal2 inputs
- a single pedal controls volume (with tuner at volume off)
- the top-right CC toggles changes pedal function (eg wah)
- can connect another pedal to bypass one of the hold switches and connect to the AxeFX Pedal1 input
- config options for MIDI channel, PC & CC numbers, CC states & resets after PC, etc
- startup options for different PC ranges and Shift operation (lock or one-shot)
- works from a single cable which supplies power, transmits MIDI and carries the 2 x hold switches

Great job! I really admire you guys that can do these types of projects..........I honestly wouldn't even know where to begin. Bravo man!

thanks for the feedback, guys. :cool:

I tried it live for the first time last night & it worked fine.

I should have added the best feature of all: it has point to point wiring, so you know it sounds better. :D

GM Arts said:
thanks for the feedback, guys. :cool:

I tried it live for the first time last night & it worked fine.

I should have added the best feature of all: it has point to point wiring, so you know it sounds better. :D

:lol:

What chip did you use?

Basic Stamp 2sx, voes

It's about 95% full in both code and RAM. The I/O pins are over-full; I really needed 17 I/O pins, so I've done a bit of sneaky code and wiring to get one pin to act as both an input and output :shock:

<<< minor correction: one of the 8 available code slots (each 2KB) was 95% full at this release - the curent version (Aug 09) is about 85% full in 2 of the 8 slots >>>

Cool stuff. I've been thinking of a similar project just because I feel like futzing around with a Microcontroller. :D

yeah, I had a lot of fun designing this, working with a prototype to fine tune it, then buiding the final unit. It's great because it has exactly what I want at the moment, and enough flexibility for me to change the way it works if I need to later.

Of course, it only sends MIDI, so it'll never display patch names or a tuner, but the LEDs work fine for me.

Are there tutorials on the net for doing this, along with the chips needed, or are you an electrical engineer/electronics guru? This is bad ass, and while I already bought me a GCP, this would be sweet for a project if it's not too expensive. Any idea how you would get an LCD display on there?

Man, good work. Pick up a cheap Brother labeler and label and the switches for that final touch.

Wonder if the community would be interested in a detailed parts list, cost, and it could be called the GM Arts MC Axe-Fx Controller?

This would smoke my midi-mate that's for sure.

Secret80'sMan said:
Wonder if the community would be interested in a detailed parts list, cost, and it could be called the GM Arts MC Axe-Fx Controller?

It would be kinda cool for there to be an "open source" foot controller project. :D

I've blackened the top panel now so it looks better, and yes, some labels will finish it nicely.

There's plenty of info at http://www.parallax.com on how to program Basic Stamp modules, and some help with the electronics. It's (re)programmed via a 9-pin serial port from your PC - I think you can get USB adapters for extra cost. I have around 45 years background in hobby electronics around 30 years with basic programming and MIDI data, so this project just happens to match my skills. There's not a huge amount of electronics, but you need to know what you're doing so you don't overload the module, and interface properly with LED drivers and logic chips.

Basic Stamp can interface with LCD displays, but given this controller uses nearly all of available program space, you might run into code-space problems. Another option might be the Basic ATOM modules at http://www.basicmicro.com - it looks like these have more capacity while being BS2 compatible.

I'm not really over-fussed about making my code public, but given the hours I've put into refining it, I must admit I have some hesitancy to just giving it away. Specially if someone just rips it off blindly and starts selling units for profit. Maybe I could give some generic code and schematic to get people started.

Cost is pretty good - all up, including Basic Stamp module, rack case, footswitches & LEDs and other electronics, about $400. That's Australian $, so divide by 2 if you live anywhere else. :D

I did QBasic programming in high school, didn't find it that hard, but I've never programmed EEPROM chips or anything before :lol: Is it as simple as putting an if statement saying if input comes in on this pin, output this midi command?

Very cool!

But, how do you know what patch you're on live on stage? You need to be able to see your AXE FX , I assume. Right?

thx, browlett

no, I don't need to see the Axe-FX display except for the tuner which I usually do just before the start of each set.

The controller has 8 Patch Change switches, each with a red LED. So I can always see which patch is selected. The Shift switch gives up to another 8 different patches on the same switches, and the same LED lights, except that if the patch was selected from the opposite shift state then all the other patch LEDs light dimly, so I can still see which patch is selected.

Have a look at the link, and it shows how the switches are arranged. I'm only using 4 extra PCs with shift at the moment; 12 patches seems enough for me at a gig at the moment. Each patch is set up with the same virtual pedalboard including wah (2 types), tremolo, flanger, chorus, phaser (2 types), rotary (slow & fast), delay (3 types), reverb boost, volume boost, octave and swell effects.

rgds,
GM Arts

Back
Top Bottom